What I Wore: Prep

Monday, October 3, 2011

Have you ever read the book "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld? It's legitimately one of my favorite books of all time. Full discolsure here? It gets a little graphic. I think all of Sittenfeld's books are like that. "American Wife" was fantastic too. Anyway, "Prep" is about a Midwestern girl who is accepted into an elite East Coast private school. Seriously. Take this book to the beach and devour it because it's like being in high school all over again. I've probably read it 7 times. (I'm kind of obsessed with reading. If you want more book suggestions from yours truly, click here.)

My favorite parts about the book are the kids names (Aspeth? Cross? I love it) and the general description of the WASPy parents. I admit that I kind of love to dress preppy now and again. I love the clean lines and structure of a little prep. But prep can also go horribly wrong when you go overboard. Like wearing a sweater tied over your shoulders with tennis shorts and overwhitening your teeth, AMIRIGHT?

My general equation for preppy goodness is a cute cardigan and a structured belt. I also like to dress down the jeans. If I had worn like, dark trouser jeans, it would still be cute but a little starched. And it was Friday when I wore this. No starchiness on Friday. You gotta get DOWN on Friday!

Photobucket
Cami: Pacsun
Cardigan: Banana Republic
Belt: WALMART WOO! It's reversible. Take THAT, rich East Coasters!
Jeans: Abercrombie & Fitch
Flats: Soda (Aaaand they are falling apart. I bought a new pair that day.)
Rings: F21, Inspired Silver
Cuff: Charlotte Russe
Watch: Gucci
Earrings: F21

Whenever I see myself in pictures I'm like "Sweet mother of mercy I am short."

Photobucket
I loaded on a ton of accessories to make the whole belted cardi thing look less sweet. Add a couple of cuffs to my jeans and I was ready to look down my nose at public schooling and fast food.

Just kidding. Public schools and Chick-Fil-A are my fave, y'all! I actually ate there about 30 minutes after this picture was taken. True story.

Also, my mom took pictures this time. Who did better? My mom or my kindergartner?

5 comments:

Charity said...

Love your new hair colour. It's perfect! Cute pics:)

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

I've been meaning to ask you for a good beach read! Prep sounds like exactly what I'm looking for; gonna check it out!

Jae said...

lol Sara, don't forget what I said about the graphic-ness! But seriously. So addictive!

And thanks Charity!

Morgan Hagey said...

Cute! I love the shoes. Glad you replaced them. :)

Jenna said...

It's close, but your mom wins!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.