What I Wore: High Mileage

Monday, October 10, 2011

You might be surprised to know that me and fashion weren't always good friends. You've seen pictures of me as a teen, so you know I went through an awkward, graphic tee and bathtub necklace-wearing phase before coming into my own and learning how to look like an acceptable human being. The truth is that I didn't always have much money to spend on clothes, which made me think that I had to go around looking "quirky" at best.

Even though I have a slightly larger shopping budget than I did when I was a teen or when I was first married (seriously, it was like $25 a month. Sigh.) I still have a hard time shaking the habit of shopping for the most mileage possible.

You see, when I had a miniscule budget for clothes, I did all of my shopping with my teensy wardrobe in mind. I had to invest in pieces that I could wear all the time in a variety of ways. And I STILL do this. When shopping, I usually pick out an item and buy it once I think of three ways that I could wear it.

Which is why I slapped down the money for this supercute boyfriend blazer. I've tried boyfriend blazers before and they always made me look like Jerry Seinfeld. But I found this other one at F21 a couple of weeks ago and it fit like a glove without totally drowning me. Plus it had a button. YAY BUTTONS.

So you get two outfits today. I know, I know. I spoil you with pictures of myself. You are welcome. I just wanted to show you two ways to wear the same thing, yet look like you're wearing a totally different outfit. Then people say "How does she have so muc money to spend on clothes?" And you're like "You'll never know, sucka!"

Outfit 1 (Thank my husband and the dark, rainy weather for the fuzzy picture.)

Photobucket
Blazer: F21
Green v: Derek Heart
Jeans: Refuge
Shoes: Wild Diva
Scarf: Gap
Cuff: Marc Jacobs
Bangles: Nordstrom
Ring: F21



Can we just take a moment to squee over these shoes? They are some of my faves because they're pony hair. So they look like zebra and they feel weirdly like zebra too. Except I've never petted a zebra, so we'll just pretend.

Anyway, I wore this out to dinner with my friends on Friday night. These jeans are ultimately skinny, so they don't get worn that often. To be honest, I always forget if they fit or not, so I avoid them until I get the nerve to put them on, then dance a short jig when I realize that they do in fact still fit me. WOO.

THEN, on Sunday, I used the same blazer to dress down my favorite cocktail dress. (Picture is much better.)

Photobucket
Dress: Adrianna Papell
Blazer: F21
Shoes: Payless (American Eagle brand)
Pearls: Nordstrom (tied)
Ring: Local

I love love love this dress. I love me some Adrianna Papell, the dresses always fit like a glove and are super classic. I bought this dress for a wedding a couple years ago and have only worn it twice since then, because I don't actually drink cocktails. I think the blazer dresses it down enough to semi-formal level, making it look more power-suity. I must try this with other cocktail dresses immediately!

Check out how I used my hair and makeup to change the look too. Friday I french braided both sides back and then clipped up the top for trendier hair. Then, Sunday I did a sleeker blowout with a red lip because I like to dress like Jackie O like that. Plus my full name is Jacqueline so we're basically twins.

Anyway, I wanted to show you how one piece goes from trendy Friday night to conservative Sunday morning to get the most mileage.

Check out your closet to see what items you typically wear one way but could totally be worn another day and you don't even have to go shopping. And other moms will still be jealous/hate you.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Love those zebra shoes. I have some leopard ones like them!

Jae said...

Aw, my leopard ones aren't even furry. Boo-urns.

hair shears said...

Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your web-site is greatly appreciated.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.