Spring Trends and How to Wear 'Em 2011

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Yes, it's that time again! Time to sift through the year's spring trends, get rid of the terrifying ones (sack dresses? sheer shirts? Um, no thanks) and find out what is actually wearable in real life. Remember my usual disclaimer: just because I post about these clothes here doesn't mean you should run out and buy anything trendy, ever. Take the general ideas with you when you shop and invest in a few pieces that make your staple wardrobe look new. I already have my eye on a few items. Let's get to it!

Long Skirts

spring1



Remember how all last year it was all about the maxi dress? Well, you're in luck, because maxi dresses have come back with the warm weather. My husband breathes a deep sigh of relief, since I spent a lot of money on maxi dresses last year. But along with maxi dresses comes longer skirts and I am super psyched out of my mind about them. The trick to wearing longer skirts is to avoid looking like Laura Ingalls and wearing a more streamlined, modern top. The other day I wore my long white tiered skirt with a fitted tee and a little track jacket and it was just the right amount of modern to offset the length of the skirt. Don't be afraid to show a little skin! The best part about long skirts is that they are uber comfy. Look for flowy, stretchy material that you can move around in. Also, check your car door before you leave like, two feet of skirt flapping around as you drive. I did that last year.

Blue Shoes

spring2



If you want to spend money on a pair of shoes that will look new and trendy, definitely go with blue. I think you'll see it a lot this spring. The trick with wearing blue shoes is to do it with nudes. The pop of color looks fresher with beige than it does black. My cute friend was wearing an outfit almost exactly like this one the other day and I died. Then I came back to life. It was fun. Also, I don;t mind a little blue in the accessories as long as they aren't the exact same shade of blue. So fun and pretty!

Wedges

spring3



YAYAYAYAYAY I love wedges so very much. I have plans to wear my fave python wedges tonight and I shouldn't be so excited, but I am anyway. I am just glad that the comfy alternative to the heel is back. I can still add three inches to my freakishly small stature without being uncomfortable. (Have I ever told you that I have four brothers and they are all gargantuanly tall, yet my parents are small? I thank my lucky stars every day that I got the small genes. Because then I get to wear five inch heels!) ANYWAY, we already talked about flared jeans and trousers, so definitely pair your wedges up with them for a vintage look that is super now. OMG I'm talking like a Cosmo editor, shoot me.

Graphic Prints

spring4



OK, so with the whole 70s revival thing happening, bright prints look fresh and spring-y and I love them so much. Look for floral numbers, or cute butterflies like this one here. Doesn't it just make you smile? It's a pretty brilliant way to wear your winter boots for a few more months, especially if you just snagged some on sale. Super cute with gray riding boots and you can be brighter and bolder with your accessories. A thin silver chain will be absolutely SWALLOWED by this outfit. Orange beads layered with a red watch? I think so!

Preppity Prep

spring5



As a total side note, have any of you ever read the book "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld? It's pretty much my second fave book of all time. Just don't read it in book club... it's super offensive on like 90 levels. But it's so addictive. Maybe my love for the book explains my love for the style. I just love dressing like my name is Bitsy and I play tennis at the club. When picking preppy pieces, look for boat shoes, drawstrings, polka dots and stripes. Anchor a bold outfit like this with neutral shoes, so it doesn't look SO all American. Pair it with unfussy hair and you're ready for the next benefit at the Stockington-Fairchild's estate.

So what's the verdict? Doable? I know keeping up with trends can be overwhelming, but the trick is to add pieces to your existing style. Don't be a trend whore. For instance, I'm in the market for more graphic floral prints that I can wear with my signature skinny jeans and brown boots. It's still Jae, just springier.

I swear, if it snows again I'll light the weatherman on fire. I am SO ready for warm days and baring a little more skin. I am SO white you guys. Bronzer can only go so far.



***And on a completely serious note, please click here to donate to the Red Cross for relief for the Pacific Tsunami. Every little bit will help to send aid to Japan, where thousands of displaced families are in need. Thanks, guys! ***

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought that eyelit skirt Saturday! :) I really love the wedge boat shoes, too ♥

Charity said...

My trend buy this spring is some cute wedge shoes!! I love them, I was sad when my dog ate my last pair. The long skirts would be nice and comfy, I'll have to see if I can pull it off though. I think I wore too many when I was younger and have a tendancy to not go there again.

fluffyattackify said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

I'm so glad the wedge coming back! Those of us with thick ankles are breathing a huge sigh of relief!

Jae said...

Wedges make me so happy. The right ones make legs look HOT!

Charity, I know... long skirts made me think like, church. But I wear mine casually now and would never wear them to church lol.

Kirsten said...

Thanks for this, always great insight! Question: are skinny jeans still in for the spring season? My husband is wanting me to try some out but I'm worried I'll be too far behind the trend. What do you think? Is it too late to get a pair?

Jae said...

Kirsten, I'm still wearing them, if that means anything! lol. I've been wearing my skinnies with embellished flats, cardigans and scarves. Layering up top helps me feel not so naked on the bottom.

Unknown said...

Umm can I hire you to come and dress me? :)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.