Dressing Conservatively -- Not Yawnworthy

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I understand that not every mom stays at home with her kids. It makes some people crazy. I know that if I didn't work while I was at home, I would lose my sanity and lie on the floor, eating Playdoh and singing Raffi songs psychotically all day. I'm not saying that's what you do. That's just what I would do. I love keeping my connection to my old, professional self. So I get working moms. Whether you do it because you have to or you do it because you want to, you're already a step ahead of me because you actually get to shower every morning. AMAZING.

I have had a bevy of weird jobs that all required certain dress codes. My first "real" job was with one of my best friends in high school (Hi Katie!) She and I decided that we would split the job of a receptionist at a home improvement company. My job consisted of answering phones, talking to my boyfriend on Yahoo Chat and gossiping with Katie from 4 to 8 every night. The dress code was whatever I happened to wear at school that day. It was the best job ever. About a year later and once I'd graduated, I was hired by a recording studio and media company as an administrative assistant. I was the only female in the office, which meant I was able to push the dress code a little. Seriously, once I came to work in a velour sweatsuit. And it was totally fine. My next job was as an office manager at a home company where my husband worked. I finally had to start dressing a little more conservatively because I spent a lot of time with clients. My last out-of-the-house job was in a real estate office, where I had to dress very conservatively... for me. I actually didn't mind it because I got to play dress up a lot and act very important. When I finally decided to ditch the office and work from home in 2006, I had amassed a MASSIVE conservative wardrobe that I still can't bring myself to get rid of. But WHEN will I ever wear pinstripe pants again? WHEN!?

As much as I love dressing in trendy outfits and piling on accessories and wearing sky high heels, if you're working in a corporate environment, you're probably not going to have the same benefit. One reader emailed me with this very question. How do you dress conservatively without looking like a total yawnfest?

This advice doesn't have to be just for working moms. Anytime you're invited to an event with a business casual dress code, this applies. Which is why I keep my pinstripe pants. I wonder if they still fit.

I'll be right back.

THEY DO!!! I shall wear them forever.

Using color on a daily basis, layering for interest and using trends without being "trendy" will serve you well at work. You'll also notice that all of the shoes are the same brand. That's because I wanted shoes that would be super comfy for work, yet still cute. Also... they're closed toes. Always closed toes until your office permits open-toe. If you're not sure how far you can push the boundary, take a cue from your supervisors.

conserve




First, trouser pants are totally exciting right now with the whole 70s revival things that we talked about. When you pair them a neat blazer, the effect is like a suit without being so manly and businesswear-ish. You can also make the total effect more girly by adding pretty jewelry. I also like a big, structured bag for work, especially if you're schlepping work home.

conserve




You can totally wear a skirt at a conservative workplace, so long as it reaches the knees, please. Unless you work at like, the offices at Vogue ala The Devil Wears Prada. But you probably don;t. If you do, I'd like a job as well. But that's besides the point. Keep the look neat by tucking in your top. Wear the shirt higher on your waist for a more vintage, Mad Men look. It's totally fine to wear a flirty, non-matchy heel, especially if they are comfortable.

conserve




Dresses can be your best friend at the office. I know they were mine. They are versatile and easy in the morning... hello! One piece. Also, adding a belt can help a dress look less cocktail and more business. You can also up the ante by wearing boots instead of heels, just look for ones that have a bit of a heel and aren't all sloppy and slouchy. I'm very into shorter boots lately, which look super current. But knee highs are still awesome too.

See? Easy principles. Even if your evil corporate job dictates what you can wear, they can't tell you how to dress. And THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM! Sorry, I used to watch a lot of Braveheart with my brothers. If you dress super conservatively, try introducing things slowly. A pair of heels one day, a bit of color the next. Soon you'll be the stylish girl at the office and people will be offering you promotions and whatnot. Trust me.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

OMG those buff-colored heels in the second picture? I died.

Jae said...

Hahaha OH NO JENNA! I'm glad someone was able to revive you in order to post a comment. Bravo.

But yes... I KNOW

chloe said...

LOVED! As always. I'm a bit of a lurker and am actually commenting for selfish reasons! I have a wedding in Autumn and have no idea what one wears to a fall wedding. Fingers crossed your stylish self can help?

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.