Splurge or Steal: Makeup

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cosmetics are a multi BILLION dollar industry. You know why? Because it SO HARD to walk into a Sephora without dropping $100. Their dang salespeople are so convincing and like "Hey girlfriend lets hook you up!" And I am lulled into a trance wherein I purchase things I don't need like hydrating gel. I KNOW.

There's always going to be a battle between pricey makeup and drugstore brands. Which is best? Do you get what you paid for? Are you crazy for spending $30 on mascara?

The answer is: it depends. Makeup can make you feel AMAZING, so when you spend coin on facepaint, make sure you're spending it on stuff that will really make a difference. Note that this is different for everyone. I'll tell you what I spend money on when makeup shopping, and which stuff I slum.

Foundation - Spend. Foundation is a big deal to me. It all started when I was 17 years old and realized my pores were literally the size of dinner plates. Seriously. Put a chicken dinner in those things. I like the foundation gives me a smooth surface to work with while helping the rest of my makeup to stick. My problem? I have freakish coloring. Normal makeup makes me look like a Simpson. Since I have dark hair, makeup counter girls expect me to have golden skin. NO NO NO. I have pink skin. When I finally found a good match, I was hooked for life. So it's no biggie for me to use Bare Minerals -- $25 every three months or so is worth it to me not to look like I have jaundice.

2) Lipstick and gloss -- Mostly steal. Why? Because I am FICKLE. I buy lipsticks all the time that are soon left at the bottom of my dusty makeup bag. In general I prefer bright pinks, but I like red too. Gloss is basically the same no matter where you buy it, so I don't care if I buy a $1 or a $25 brand. It'll look the same. When it comes to lipstick though, you're going for WAY more pigments. The only time I say splurge is by going into a makeup counter and trying on various colors BEFORE you buy. Purchasing a $20 tube this way will save you money over buying 9 $5 tubes that you never use at the drugstore.

3) Eyeliner - STEAL STEAL STEAL! It's no secret that I love E.L.F.'s liquid eyeliner pens. Seriously, I have them in almost color. And they are $1. I love a cat eye, and I've been using liquid liner for years. It's by far the best I've ever tried, even when compared with pricier brands. It's just super foolproof to apply, which is a must because liquid liner can get messy.




Mascara - Spend. Now, this is MY personal preference. But I think mascara makes a ha-yuge difference in my appearance and I often wear only mascara, so it's important to me that I get the most bang for my buck. A couple weeks ago I splurged for Dior Blackout. I usually wear DiorShow but I thought what the heck? The stuff goes on like liquid vinyl and makes me look like I'm wearing false eyelashes all the time. Seriously, as long as a mascara gives me Minnie Mouse lashes, I'll pay anything.



Eyeshadow - Both. When it comes to eyeshadow I only splurge on colors I wear on a daily basis. My top three colors are reddish brown, plum and gray, so I tend to buy those in singular mineral pots. Anything else? Steal for sure. When am I really going to wear green eyeshadow? Like... never. So I buy it in a huge palette to get the most for my money for colors that I wear once in a blue moon.



Blush and Bronzer: I wear bronzer on an almost-daily basis. So you'd think that I would spend a ton of money on it. Honestly? I used Bare Minerals for a while and ran out, so I switched to something I got from the drugstore and really couldn't tell the difference for the money. So I'm a cheapie bronzer girl now. As for blush, I prefer cream over powder, which can be harder to find. My favorite is Victoria's Secret of all brands, because it comes it superbright colors and in a stick, which is like 500 times less messy than a pot.

Now, before you decide what you're going to spend and save on when it comes to makeup, think about your best features. You'll notice that I spend the most money on my eyes. That's because I enjoy them and want them to stand out. If you have really pretty lips, splurge on lip products. Super awesome cheekbones? Blow it on blush. Only spend money where you need to and the rest won't have to be a million dollar makeup job. Also, don't be afraid to invest in products and colors that you use on a daily basis. Often they last longer on the skin and they become staples in your makeup bag. Crazy colors and things you just want to "try?" Go cheap first... if you really end up loving it you can purchase a pricier version next time. If you realize you look crazy, it can then go guilt-free to the place where all scary cosmetics go:

My vanity drawer.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting your opinon on mascara. Every time I go to look at some, I think, "I gotta ask Jae first," Lol. I am so happy to hear about the bronzer too. I got a sample from Bare Minerals and loved it, but obviously it ran out quickly, and I haven't known if other brands were good just from the store. So thanks for the tips Jae!!

Jenna said...

I completely agree with you! I have skimped on mascara and foundation and let me tell you, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LANCOME AND COVERGIRL.

For my eyeshadow, I have one of those huge multi-color sets from Ulta that was like $20 for a billion colors. I love it. I can change my eyeshadow every day and don't have to freak out that each application costs $20.

Jae said...

I love love love the Ulta palette. It is so guilt free!

Kara, yeah I am not fussy with bronzer at all. I love the Rimmel stuff.

Arienette said...

You couldn't be my fairy make-up-godmother and do me a favour, could you? I really want to try those ELF liquid eyeshadows you rave about. Cosmetics here seem to be stupid-expensive compared to the states, and liquid eyeliner is ridic unless you buy crap, so I'd love you forever and ever if you could post me some. I will happily paypal you whatever it costs to get me some of that liquid crack.

I can't walk into a department store without being fleeced by a makeup counter. I banned myself from Selfridges because no matter what I went in for I always ended up at MAC. I once spent £80 in Benefit on stuff I really didn't need and ended up selling half of it for a massive loss. Seriously, I bought a £23 lipstick that was half a shade different to a lipstick I already owned, which was also bought from Benefit in a previous unwise splurge! I need restraints.

Chelsea said...

Have you tried Revlon Cream blush in Berry Flirtatious? It's my favorite and I have dark hair and cool skin tone. It's usually $8-9 at Walmart or Target but I've gotten on sale at Ulta for $5.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.doudounerer.com/]doudoune[/url] pvmdj [url=http://www.kjchristianlouboutin.org/]louboutin[/url] avgsd [url=http://www.doudounerer.com/]manteau[/url] jjesl [url=http://www.kjchristianlouboutin.org/]christian louboutin[/url] mdskl

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.