From My Closet: I Heart Snakeskin

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I first typed the title as "I heart Snackskin" and I feel like that would be a different post entirely. I am the queen of typos.

But yes, snakeskin (OMG I almost did it again.) I was cleaning out my closet the other day and realized that I go a little overboard with it. It's by far may favorite pattern because it's less ostentatious and boozy cougar than leopard print and less weird than zebra, but still wearable and little daring. I almost bought a snakeskin LBD the other day and talked myself out of it, but now I regret it. Sadness.

Anyway, if you want something to modernize your current wardrobe, snakeskin accessories are so easy peasy to wear. I carry a snakeskin bowler right now for my handbag, and it's awesome. Especially when I don't particularly feel like putting together an outfit. Jeans + black tee + snakeskin = instant outfit. It's like cheating.

The only thing that ask when you try snakeskin is to leave it alone. My biggest gripe about having a snakeskin handbag is that I always have to swap bags when wearing snakeskin shoes (Look, I KNOW there are bigger problems in the world, ok? But it's still annoying.) But I'll do it anyway so it doesn't get all jungle matchy matchy. Maaaaaaybe you could pair it with another SMALL animal-print accessory. I wouldn't be mad about a leopard belt or a zebra cuff. But no other snakeskin, and you are not Jack Hannah, so let's go easy on the jungle business, k?

It's also important to note that the colors in typical python print allow you to treat it like a neutral, so it's totally fine to pair it with color. I especially love snake with jewel tones like turquoise and plum.

Look how pretty it looks with my favorite red chair. Here are a few of my fave accessories.


I totally worship this pair of Chinese Laundry t-strap wedges. They are super girly but the print makes them less sweet. I got them at a screaming sale too, so extra awesome. I tend to wear them with a-line skirts and dresses.



These Isaac Mizrahi flats were another awesome purchase. My fave thing about them? They actually feel like snakeskin. A little soft with a little shine on the scales? Amazing detail. You can kind of see in the close up. Whenever I wear them I sit around stroking them like a pervert.


Ah! My dear Soda python wedges. They are the newest to the bunch, and I love to wear them with bermuda shorts so they look less boxy. Plus the wedges makes my ankles look positively tiny and my legs look 90 miles long. And they are so summery and make me happy.


Does this pile of texture make you just say "Squee?" Because I just did. OMG.


Yup, it's a good bunch. The bag is by Hurley, of all companies. I looked high and low for a python bag without any weird bells and whistles because the snake is PLENTY for interests sake. So apparently a skater company was the only on to understand my plight.

So, be my friend and try something in snake. I swear it will make you look more modern without making you look like you prey on young boys (Speaking of which, I saw Charlie St. Cloud on Monday and I prey on Zac Efron, so maybe I should be wearing more leopard.)

5 comments:

JanaLynn said...

Ooh pretty! I'm pretty partial to Zac Efron myself.

rachel said...

Um, can I have your bag please? And the wedge sandals. I promise not to wear them together. Promise!

Mary said...

Zac Effron is 24, so he's fair game! That and he is incredibly hot. I've never had a thing for snakeskin but I love your bag!!

Dianna said...

Just bought an amazing snakeskin real leather handbag by elliott lucca at costco...its going on sale nov 23rd for 79.99. I checked all over the internet and this bag retails for 198.00, but every site online says out of stock...I just love it!

Dianna said...

Just bought an amazing snakeskin real leather handbag by elliott lucca at costco...its going on sale nov 23rd for 79.99. I checked all over the internet and this bag retails for 198.00, but every site online says out of stock...I just love it!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.