Flip Flop Alternatives

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I don't know about you, but come August, I'm getting pretty sick of wearing foamy, rubber flip flops everywhere. I typically believe that flip flops are for the beach, running to the grocery store when you forgot the milk, and Saturdays. I don't believe they should be your daily footwear choice. Yes, I know they're comfortable, but they're also lazy. And they ruin a lot of would-be cute outfits because you look all hot up top and then it's like oh, hey... you wore your flip flops too.

So, I'm branching out of my flip flop safety net right now and looking for alternatives. Dresses, crops and shorts are all natural pairings for flip flops, but they all look better when worn with something else.


FF1



Forever21.com - Dresses - Casual - 2080471113, $28
dELiAs > Miss Me Finn Patent Sandal > shoes > sandals, $28
Seagrass Flip Flops, 8 GBP
Ecko Red - Handbags - Marc Ecko Enterprises, $20
Rhinestone and Turquoise Stackable Rings, $24
long coral necklace, $31
Juicy Couture - Coral Flower Wish Necklace (Gold) - Jewelry, $48

So here we go. A simple summer dress is totally fine with flip flops. Throw those on and go to a farmer's market or something. But when swapped out for some big-girl sandals, see how the vibe changes? It's less "I was too lazy to do up straps" and more an outfit. I especially love these as an alternative to gladiator sandals, which I still have a fairly precarious relationship with.

FF2


PPQ Pocket Cardigan, 26 GBP
Old Navy Womens Roll-Up Camp Shirts, $25
Women's Boy Fit Crop Jean - American Eagle Outfitters, $16
Women's Artist Crop Jean - American Eagle Outfitters, $40
Feelin' Corky Wedge, $35
Seagrass Flip Flops, 8 GBP
Buckled Tote, $25
Galleon Necklace, $18


How's about some CROPS? I know we beat this poor horse to death back during the capri debacle of 2010, but I am fine with crops. Remember that crops are typically longer than capris and stop over the thinnest part of your ankle, thus making you look cute and thin and not cankley. Anyhow, the problem with crops worn with flip flops is they can make your legs look suuuuper short. Swap them out for a comfy wedge and your pins look miles long. And you're not wearing the same shoes as your four year old, so there's a bonus right away.

FF3


Pointelle Back Knit Cardigan, $28
Layered Flower Tank - Teen Clothing by Wet Seal, $10
Cambridge Cuff Denim Bermuda Short - Women's Clothing and Apparel -..., $44
Women's AE Favorite Bermuda Shorts (Black), $35
Soda Carlet Flats, $13
Seagrass Flip Flops, 8 GBP
PUMA Dazzle Hobo, $45
Jewellery | Necklaces, bracelets, earrings | ASOS, 15 GBP

Lastly, the bermuda short. I know, right? Bermuda shorts and flip flops go together like pizza and Cherry Coke. (Sorry, that's what I'm having for dinner tonight and I get excited) BUT it isn't the most mod look. Also, if you're looking for ways to dress up your beloved Bermuda's, flip flops are not the way. For instance, let's say that you're hacking around in your shorts and flip flops and your hubby comes home in a romantical mood and wants to go out for dinner. It's not a fancy place, but you want to look nice. So swap out the flip flops for a pair of flats and change your shirt and DONE. It looks more polished and I love how vintage-y the flats are with the shorts.

You'll never hear me say "THROW OUT ALL FLIP FLOPS!!!" k? This is not a flip flop witch hunt. I have three pairs. I'm just saying there's no reason for flip flops to be your only choice during the summer when there is so much cuteness to be had. I KNOW Old Navy sells every color of clip flop under the sun, but that doesn't mean you should coordinate every outfit with matching flip flops. It's weird. Get a few pairs (I have black, navy and tan. That's it. They match everything I want to wear and it's not going overboard) and explore the wonderful world of non-foam footwear.

0 comments:

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.