Fast Hair Fix

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So the other day there was a lively discussion in a forum that I frequent about what consisted as "mom hair." When I weighed in I said that it was any hair that wasn't "done," and I think I need to restate my opinion. As a mom, you don't have hours to spend on your hair. I get it. When I was in high school I would literally spend HOURS making twisties and tiny braids and ponytails every day. Now, I usually have 15 minutes flat to get from shower to door any time I leave the house. So I take it back. "Mom hair" isn't hair that hasn't been done, "mom hair" is when I can tell the poor woman has thrown in the towel and resigned herself to giving up and simply stopped trying altogether.

I see them alllll them times. Moms in scrunchies, or clearly air-dried but not styled hair. A daily uniform of ponytails or the messy bun. All can be construed as "mom hair" when it's clear that you've just given up and stopped trying at all. You look the same every day and that same doesn't make you feel good about yourself. It's just there and you don't care (YESS RHYMES... )

"Doing" (OMG I am using so many quotes in this post) your hair doesn't mean hours of work. It means making sure that your hair contributes to your look for the better. I cannot stand hair that just hangs there. Just DO something with it, for heaven's sake.

To prove it to you, I present to you three hairstyles that took me three minutes or less. Of course, these hairstyles will work best with medium to long hair, like I have. If you have short hair, you can adapt them. If you have really short hair, then you're lucky. Run some product through it like my girl Jenna, and call it day. But seriously. You HAVE three minutes to do your hair. I promise. Also, if I see your daughter with a complicated style and you're wearing a scrunchie, I will judge you. Your daughter does not need 50 ponytails. Stick a flower clip and call it good while you try and look presentable.

First up: The Side Braid



If you can do a basic french braid, this one will be easy for you. If you don't know how.... ummm definitely go ahead and Youtube that one. You should know. I do this when my hair has air dried and I haven't done a thing to style it. I grab the top half of my hair at the back of my head and start french braiding. Instead of braiding down, I braid on the diagonal so the braid flops over my shoulder.



See? Diagonal and downward. It's so cute and casual and literally takes me a second. I do it in the car all the time when my hubs is driving because I don't need a mirror and I'm perpetually running late. SO EASY. Then I pull a few strands out around my face and I am dunzo.

The Braid Band



Here's another ridiculously easy way to do braid. I use this when I haven't had time to style my bangs and they need to be puled back. I also do it when I don't have time to dry my hair because my hair is pretty wavy and I think it looks cute and beachy. I grab a small portion of hair in a deep side part, and then french braid across my forehead. When I get to the ear, I pin it back. I might comb some gel or mousse through the body of the hair to get it wavier... but in this pic I was on my way to the pool and I just wanted to keep my hair out of my face.

(PS I'd like to point out that I stopped using sulfate shampoo, and I am so happy with the results. The above pic was taken when I was using regular SLS stuff, and the first pic is today... such a difference, right!? My hair is so shiny. Okay,... tangent there... we'll talk shampoo another day.)

Fakey Curls



So curls are pretty universally hot, but I don't always have the time to curl all my hair. My hair is wavy but I usually add curls with the flat iron technique. If I'm short on time, I fake it by clipping the top portion of my hair up with two bobby pins, crossed for better leverage. Then I scrunch some product through the bottom layer and add a curl here or there to fake like I spent forever on my hair. Then I fake fullness by holding my hair up and dropping it slowly in sections while interspersing a blast of hairspray in between. Done!

BONUS! Accessory Time!



Quite frankly, if I'm really pressed for time, I use a low, messy bun and slip in a head band. I picked up this beaut from F21 and have been wearing it 24/7. It looks like I put all this effort into it when I really just threw it in there. When you get a new hair accessory (and your daughter isn't the only one who should have those, BTW) test drive a few different ways to wear it. I bought this thinking I would wear the flower more on the side of my head with my hair down, and it ended up looking WAY better lower and with my hair up. Remember that in case you purchase something you don't totally love; it could just be the way you're wearing it.

So aside from the skeezy Myspace-style self-photos I've had to use to demonstrate, I think this is all totally doable in the real world. I promise you I'm not some fem-bot who does a full on blow out every day. In my lack of time, I've learned to get creative and try more casual looks that help me stay put together without being a total time-suck. As much as I love neglecting my children, they can be pretty annoying when I'm trying to carve out a few moments of pretty-time for mommy.

You have three to five minutes. Use them wisely.

18 comments:

Blair said...

Thanks...so going to use this now...on the way to take the kids to the doctor unexpectedly...

Carolyn said...

So I was totally just thinking you should do a "cute pony" or easy hair post, and wahlah, here it is! Thanks a ton! I'm bad about mom hair lately, but since I'm finally getting out of the newborn funk, time to look cute again.

Unknown said...

So Jae, I'm going to play devils advocate, and ask say that my hair fits no type you talked about. :) My hair is short, but not short enough I can just put product in and go. It's a bob cut. So if I don't shower, and blow dry my hair, it looks dumb. I can't just use a flat iron and fit it on days I don't shower (which happens more often than not b/c of the kids and life, etc). I just have too much hair and it goes crazy. I would love some ideas because my hair just doesn't style in seconds. It's either done or not.

Jae said...

Yeah, it's tricky with shorter hair, Kara. But I bet you could come up with some ways to style it without a blowout. I think your bangs are probably what makes it hard to do, because when I have bangs they HAVE to be styled no matter what (I'm growing mine out, as you can see lol) Can you pin them back in a cute way? Like to the side in a cute clip? Or think about buying some hair bands and accessories to keep it off your face while still looking cute.

Queen Mommy said...

Love these! I love messy buns--a lot. Sometimes I will take a small section on each side, braid it toward the back of my head, and pull everything back into a messy bun or ponytail. It's quick, fun, and looks like I've put in some effort. Another thing I do sometimes is pull it into a low side pony and do a little topsy-tail thingie...make a small hole above the pony and flip the pony through the hole. For shorter hair, I recommend two different things: 1) pigtails. 2) Take little sections of hair, twist slightly, flip up a little, and secure with Bobby pins or claw clips until it's all pinned up. Very fast and easy, and it's super cute too!

T said...

Totally used the side braid yesterday to hide unwashed hair. I got so many compliments on it! If they only knew ... haha

http://www.fashion-butter.com/

Nathaly Blalock said...

Okay, weeeeeeird. On Saturday I french braided my hair to the side just like your first 2 pics, and I thought, "I wonder if french braids like this are out. Do I look too 1996? Jae needs to do a hair post." You must have felt the vibes I sent you.

But I still need to learn how to do a good messy bun. My buns always look retarded. When I do a ponytail, I pull up on the hair a little right above the hairband so I get a little volume (kwim? also can be accomplished by teasing)and the pony looks a lot more styled, but with buns, I don't know how to make them look messy and effortless, but still put together.

Also you look adorable in all your pics.

Jenna said...

Cute, Jae! My favorite is the braid band. I used to do it when I had long hair, back in the day.

Kara, I feel you. I had a very cute A-line bob before I got my pixie cut and it was a pain. So not what I was going for. I had to fix it or it looked ridiculous. And it took forever to roundbrush it. I am obviously no help to you, since I just chopped it off to solve the problem and I'm sure that's not what you are going for. But I just wanted to say I sympathize!

Jess said...

I've always wondered if the flowers in the hair is an "okay" style for moms, or if it's too young. Thanks for the tips. I'm a victim of the mom ponytail, and I need to change it up.

Arienette said...

Like Kara, my hair is too short to do anything with and too long to do nothing with. My only real options are stumpy-pigtails or stumpy ponytail, or super-stumpy bun-with-bits-sticking-out. I can't even leave it down because it looks mullet-y. I have to jazz it up with bands and clips while I wait for this terrible post-baby hair to grow out.

I also seem to be incapable of french braiding. Before Pixie Cut Of Death I tried practising french braiding and I swear to god, managed to braid in a circle. CROP CIRCLES ALL UP ON MY HEAD. It wasn't attractive.

Meagan said...

I have short hair, and it's true. It's difficult to have an "in-between" do... it's either done or it's not. BUT, I have decided that even 3 minutes can make my hair look better. I will fire up my flat iron and reshape it (in layers, of course) if I absolutely can't find time to shower/redo my hair. It doesn't look as good, and it almost always looks like it needs a wash, but it is at least presentable.
A little effort goes a long way. Of course a shower and fresh head of hair is always the best, but I can make do if I need to.
Oh, if you have bangs... I often bobby pin them back (you know, in a cute little bump), pin them to the side, or twist them back somehow. It helps with the greasy factor. It also helps disguise the fact that my cowlick in front gets extremely bad bed head that needs to be washed to be completely remedied. LOL.
Bobby pins with cute flowers or pearls can liven up a boring leftover hair do, too. Great for short hair. Keep it simple. When it doubt, don't wear your daughters Gerber daisy clips. LOL. Charlotte Russe usually has cute bobby pin accessories.
Sorry, that was long. But I'm a short hair junky.

Unknown said...

Jae, I do pin them back a couple differnt ways. I do it the way you have in one of your pictures, and then sometimes, to the side and put a flower in or something, and that's good. I'm pretty much growing them out because they were driving me nuts, lol.
I think it's mostly at the end of the day I put it in a pony tail b/c it's bugging me, and I'm cleaning up the house, etc, and then the next morning it's all crazy, half curled and half not. I guess like someone else suggested I should just pull out my flat iron or curling iron and try to fit it some. I did like this post by the way and I wasn't trying to be a hater. :)

Jae said...

Ooh, Kara, you could do some cute things with ponies and shorter hair with bangs... ponytails are not of the devil. You could slide in a stretchy headband to give it a bump and then flat iron your bangs in the morning and call it good. I can show you when we go to dins on Friday. lol. Hair session!

Thanks for all the hair ideas, ladies. I am loving all the input! I'm getting my hair done tomorrow so my opinion might change lol.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I'm sure these are all simple things...just always think a ponytail is the quickest. My hair is totally long enough to pull off the side braid and I did it this morning! And feel great about how I look (plus, gotta love the hair out of your face)
LOVE when you put clothes together to make an outfit. I have issues putting things together that I LOVE your ideas. Keep them coming so I can keep copying and/or ordering.
Really though- the hair ideas was what I needed to hear.
I don't want to think of myself as "formerly" hot, you know!?

Joy said...

I so needed this yesterday. I'm horrible about doing the messy bun/ponytail EVERY day. Definitely as a "I've given up but I don't know what else to do right now" act. I've never done my own French braid (or anyone else's for that matter) but I attempted it yesterday & it turned out great! It wasn't the best ever but it looked better than my usual daily do. Either I need more practice or mine's just not quite long enough to wrap to the side but a straight one down my back is better than nothing!

bequi said...

But what about those of us with too long to just gel, but too short to DO hair?! I got a crappy haircut that is WAY too short, and I've been growing it out for about 2 months now and it's just in that awful in-between phase. Maybe I should email you a picture and you can boss me around, because I never blow dry, I rarely straighten, and my hair is way frizzy when left to air-dry so I just use the same stupid headband to keep my hair out of my face every day (because I'm also growing out my bangs). I just have NO desire to do my hair, because it always looks like crap.

Rebecca said...

Hope it's okay, but I linked you to my craft blog :) It'll post next week.

http://rebecca-youcandoit.blogspot.com/

Stephanie @ The Cozy Old Farmhouse said...

I'm definitely guilty of the messy bun or ponytail most everyday. I tried the side french braid and got compliments from hubby that evening, so thanks!

Question, you mentioned switching to sulfate free shampoo, can you tell me what you're using? I've been reading about this and have been wondering about an affordable, but effective product.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.