What to Wear: To Thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Can I just start off this post by saying how awesome Jenna is doing as our Maternity Monday writer? Love love love all of the stuff she posts and secretly wish I were pregnant.

KIDDING. I would never wish that. But even still, awesome job Jenna!

So another Thanksgiving is upon us, and you know what that means! Getting together with your family so you can quietly compare who has gained weight over the past year and who got secret plastic surgery done! Luckily, I celebrate Thanksgiving in October (weird Yankees) and already finished with that. But I will be partaking in the festivities with my American family, and will have to decide on something to wear.

I find that I always dress a little WASP-y when it comes to traditional holidays. It just seems like the right thing to do. Plus, I like that it gives me lots of layers, and therefore my pumpkin pie-filled belly isn't as noticeable as the night winds down.

I do think that Thanksgiving deserves a more sophisticated outfit than a t-shirt and jeans. Sometimes I am in awe of people who just refuse to put on nice clothes. Am I the only person who loves to play a little dress up sometimes? Geez.

I've put together a pretty typical Jae Thanksgiving outfit. I like to be comfortable but not to casual.

Start with a nice, crisp white collared shirt. This one is from American Eagle.


Roll the cuffs up, and voila. It's dressy but still casual.


Add a crazy adorable cardigan like this one, also from American Eagle. Actually, thanks to Jenna, I've found myself wearing cardigans more often. So cute in the fall and winter right. I also have an obsessive love affair with argyle-like patterns. It's sick how much I love them. I love how preppy they look. Totally allow the sleeves of your white shirt to peek out.

Consider belting the cardi to give it more shape. Love this one from F21.

Okay, that's your top half. Now:




Add a pair of slacks. I prefer slacks over jeans for holidays, but if you have a dark wash go ahead and wear them. No ripped up or light wash jeans please! These slacks from Gap are cut well and gray! Gray slacks are crazy awesome.


Pop on a pair of flats, like these beauts from Torrid. Here's my theory. K, so sometimes you get all dressed up in heels, and then you go to the hostsses house and she wants you to take her shoes off, and then your whole outfit is out of whack because it only worked with heels, not bare feet. But if you wear flats, which I find most hostesses could care less about, even if you do have to take them off, you're not wearing long pants that pool around your ankles like you would with heels. Make sense? Then you can walk around barefoot and you don't look all glammed up with nowhere to go. YES I ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT THIS STUFF.



Pop on yet another WASP-inspired accessory. I like neatness on Thanksgiving over trendiness. This one is also F21.

And, a bracelet that mimics the bow on the hairband. See how that all ties in?


And, not forgetting the most important accessory of all




GET IN MY BELLY.

So, stress less about sucking in your gut while passed out on the couch from your turkey coma, and more time eating a second and third helping of pie, pleeeeease? For me?

P.S. Don't expect me around on Friday. It is MY DAY. I will be taking the retail world by storm as I shoppeth till I droppeth. Wait till next week for stories of crzy Black Friday shenanigans.

5 comments:

Joy said...

I can't find that cardigan on the AE website! I need it!

Jae said...

Here it is... it's clearance and only gray left now. Darn Black Friday online sales! Maybe you'll have better luck in stores. So cute!
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat90090&productId=1340_6943&WT.mc_id=k147466&WT.mc_ev=click

Joy said...

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's sold out now.

Anna@Exasperation said...

So we all want to know what you got for BF yesterday!!!

Diana Taylor said...

Ok i was going to ask where the cardigan was because i couldn't find it. Sold out, but I also am in love with those cardigans, where can I find some?

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.