From My Closet, Featuring.... my closet!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I haven't done a "From My Closet" in so long, and this weekend my hubby worked on a project for me AND MY SHOES that I want you to see.

Can we take a moment to talk about the importance of a well-organized closet? When building our house, my husband and I opted for seperate, smaller closets than one large walk-in. This is because I am insane about my closet organization. When we shared in our teeny apartment I was constantly nagging the poor guy to separate my blazers from my trench coats and he finally just gave up.

I organize my closet because I dress very methodically. I like to know where anything is at any given time. I organize my shirts according to sleeve length, so I can dress with the weather, and I rotate my clothes like some people rotate food storage, so I get maximum benefit of my entire wardrobe?

Sound crazy? That's because it totally is.

BUT! You know how everyone has been throwing around that awful word "recessionista" around, and telling everyone to "shop their closets"? That's how I don't get in a rut with my clothes, wearing the same thing all of the time. When it's washed from being worn, it goes to the back of the closet so other pieces can come out.

Unfortunately, my shoes did not get the same treatment as my clothes. My current tally is 79 pairs, and they were spread out through my closet, in the guest room closet, and down in the mudroom, where we have benches and lockers. I had been BEGGING my husband to build my a shoe organizer in my closet so that I could have a Carrie Bradshaw moment when I threw my closet open and saw all of my lovely friends waiting there for me... organized by color, of course.

Well, this weekend he finally relented, and I cleaned out my closet floor to make way for the new shelves. OMG, it was so embarrassing. Not only did I get to see shoe relics from my past? Remember these? But we were literally knee deep in shoes while trying to install the shelves.

It was worth it though. My shoes are now organized, and they just look so darn pretty when you open the doors.



Why, hello lovers!


Shooooooes.


These are my latest additions; turquoise patent tie dyed Steve Maddens. I die.


Sooo hot, want to touch the hiney.

Anyway, feel free to tell me how awesome the new closet looks, so I can pass it on to my husband so he can feel warm and fuzzy, as currently he feels annoyed that he had to build a shoe closet for me and my obsessions.

AND THEN! Go organize your closet. While we were in there I loaded up TWO garbage bags full of clothes I no longer wear, and even three pairs of shoes that I could bear to part with to bring to our local charity thrift store. It feels so good. Get rid of your crappy stuff, and make way for something even better!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have a ridiculous number of shoes -- I'm deeply impressed.

Jenna said...

Squeeeee.

Yeah, I need to go through my closet. Big time.

Nathaly Blalock said...

I almost bought those same exact Steve Maddens a couple of weeks ago! Instead I bought black pumps to replace my old ones that were getting pretty crappy. Props to Justin on that lovely closet.

Vanessa said...

Tie dye shoes? No way! You have so many cute shoes!

Shop Girl* said...

Words cannot express how much I am coveting your shoe organization / closet / shoes right now.

Kate said...

I wonder if my shoes wouldn't go so quickly to looking like arse if I didn't pile them all in 2 big bins at the bottom of my closet? Yours looks amazing. And you have a helluva lotta shoes.

Anonymous said...

Luurrvv it! He did great. I have been thinking for a while to redo my closet, and you have given me the kick in the rear I needed it. ;)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.