Fall Trend I Love: Patterned Tights

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

So I was out and about shopping the other day (SO I SHOP A LOT, OKAY?), and on a total whim picked up a pair of ziggy zaggy tights to wear just because I've always liked the way patterned tights looked but never got around to trying them for myself.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I love them so much. And now that my life has been opened to the awesomeness that is patterned tights,. I am on a tight buying rampage. They are so awesome to dress up an otherwise basic outfit, and I honestly feel like they equal instant fashion forwardness.

I experimented with different shoes and came up with a few different ways I like to wear them. (PS there is no greater joy in my life than playing dress up with new accessories.) The first is with a plain, stacked patent pump, like so:


(Louboutin)

This is a really simple way to rock the look, and good if you're like umm... is this right? ou can prtty much never go wrong with a black patent pump.


Another shoe I like them with is a vintage-y t-strap that has some cool details. This is how I wore mine and I thought it looked super cool and very 40s inspired. And you know how I feel about 40s style fashion.


(Polyvore)


I even kind of love them with a peep toe pump. It's a great way to extend some of your summer shoes into the winter, and I think a little peep of lace or color at the toe is adorable.


(F21)

Now, as for the actual tights, there are SO MANY styles to choose from and I love them all. The only kind I don't like? Fishnet. While I think they have their time and place, I don't love them as trendy tights, what with the stripper-connotations that they carry. If you just LOVE fishnets and want to try them, I suggest going for a nude fishnet. It's a little more subtle and a lot less HEY I'M WEARING FISHNETS AND I TAKE SINGLES.

I love ALL of these styles, all from F21 and all under $7. Of course you can get them just about anywhere, but F21 had them the cheapest, and since I feel that these tights are really a trendy item, spend less on them.


(I bought these WOO!)


Love the idea of these with a gray wool skirt. So preppy!






I even love patterned color tights, like these with the gradient pattern. I feel like they are interesting enough but not you-look-like-a-crazy-person bright. And I think just about anyone could pull them off.

If you love the look of patterned tights but are nervous to try them out, go get a pair of black tights (or whatever color the patterned tights are) and layer them. You'll get the cool texture without the crazy pattern.

Wear em with whatever! I like them with A-line and pencil skirts. I would probably refrain from wearing really crazy patterns with knee high boots, though. The effect might be too boardwalk-y. However, I LOVE the colored ones with boots. It's just enough to punch up a drab outfit.

HOWEVER! If you're going to patterned tights, let them be the star of the show. While you might see some editorial with a model wearing patterned tights and like, a clown suit, for real life, it's best to wear them with a more subdued outfit .You can still do color, just go easy on the patterns for a more polished look.

Tights! I know, right? Who knew they would be such a freakin' cool accessory?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two pairs of fishnet hose...one black and one dark brown. I wear dark brown hose and my dark brown fishnet over it. It looks cool, adds texture and doesn't seem "stripper" to me. I do the same thing with my black fishnets, never wear them alone (except when I'm feeling...romantic!) Curious to know your thoughts on this. Am I making a HUGE mistake?

M said...

Ok question to you, my fashion guru. Can chubby girls wear these? Or would it look ridiculous??

Jae said...

I totally love fishnet over a similarily colored tight. Tones them down and still keeps 'em edgy. You're fine.

M, yes!! Dark tights are so slimming! Just stay away from light colored tights. White ones are creepy.

Jennifer Wells said...

I like the way bright colors are so popular right now, and I think the colored tights you showed have the potential to look fun, but not crazy, with something that contrasted, like purple.

mushbelly said...

Patterned tights are just one of the many reasons I love fall. Good to know F21 is the place to go for them

Butikofer Chronicle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephiloo said...

I love patterned tights too! You should check out my commencement photos on Facebook sometime, Jacqueline!

In fact, I am sitting at work right now (reading your blog because it's better than actually working) and I'm wearing some.

Anonymous said...

Facebook Pantyhose club video foto here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pantyhose-club/345519585470017
My photo albums and videos here ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/PANTYHOSESEX2?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNDrxsvx5Je9ag&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/SexyWomenInTights2?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPXIxcn8-JexOg&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/HttpsWwwFacebookComPagesPantyhoseClub345519585470017?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKTE8KiJ_K38UA&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/SexyWomenInTights?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIe-icvw7aebDA&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/BraveHeteroMen?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCITr4f6egbLAnAE&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/KLIPY?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP-K5s7bmN2KsQE&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/ObrazkySluzbyBloggerC2?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPScwvjlh9b-mwE&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/20Novembra2011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMXC3_zGqJaNXg&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/hkey22/ObrZkySluByBlogger?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIj44LH4s_f-Ig&feat=directlink

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.