Christmas Dish and New Year's Resolutions

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Hi friends! It's officially New Year's Eve and I'm getting my work done and thinking about how I kind of hate NYE. It's like there's too much pressure to dress up and fall in love and kiss someone (Thanks a lot, When Harry Met Sally) so we kind of just opt out. We're taking the kids to a little party, seeing fireworks and then we're dunzo. I can't handle that kind of pressure otherwise.

But for now, let's dish about Christmas and a little on what I'm planning for 2015, shall we?

So this Christmas was actually a little more stressful than usual because we had to keep pressing pause to be up in Salt Lake for the whole citizenship thing. I did have the sense to buy up stuff slowly, but I felt like I was in a mad dash the last two days. 

I'm also way into Christmas Eve. We host the family party here, so it's crazy and loud and fun and then everyone leaves and it's magical and quiet. We tidied up and did pajamas before heading over to the local outdoor light display. 



Also, my pajamas were these and I might be still wearing them now because the pants are so friggin comfortable I want to be buried in them. I know that's macabre, but I really love these pants. I'm buying more because they're on sale. 

Our kids actually fell asleep at 8:30 because they had been up the night earlier. Like, Andrew actually fell asleep during the reading of The Night Before Christmas and I was like shut up, this is like TOO picturesque. 


Of course, that just meant Justin and I were only up until 12 getting stuff ready and crying over It's a Wonderful Life. And the kids woke us up at 5:30. Thanks, kids. 

Also, I should point out that I go crazy over Christmas because my kids overreact to everything. This is Andrew opening a pair of socks and losing his everloving mind. 


And me? The ol' ball and chain is a good gift giver. I usually give suggestions throughout the year and he stores them like little acorns until Christmas and I'm like how did you remember this? 

My main present was a new bag. I hate buying new bags. I get reallllllly comfortable with the ones I have and it's hard for me to make the switch. But my black bag, while in really good shape, had started to fade after two years of use. So Justin bought me this one, which he picked out on his own and I love because he remembered I have to have a crossbody strap to even function (mine is the chalk color). Also, the front cell phone pockets are totally brilliant. 

Also, he bought me this Dior Addict Lip Glow and I'm obsessed. It's perfect for a lipstick avoider like myself: It's a balm that just enhances your natural lip color. It's a really pretty rose on me. I love love love it. 

I also got this amazing Urban Decay Naked On the Run palette, which has basically everything you could ever need while traveling in one compact – eyeliner, mascara, gloss, bronzer, blush, highlighter and eyeshadow. Perfect for weekends away. I must plan one immediately. 

This is me only wearing stuff from the palette. The lip gloss is aaaahmazing, as well as the Dive eyeshadow shade. It's a golden rose with sparkle. Shut. Up. 

I also got some electronics: A new Kindle Paperweight since I used and abused mine heavily during the past year, as well as a completely new desktop. I know I'm old school, but I'm obsessed with my desktop. Laptops cannot hack it for someone like me. Justin bought a tricked out one with tons of memory for my computer packrat tendencies. Very smart. 

Anyway, that was my Christmas. Now, share with me in the comments on yours. Get any awesome beauty products? Or shoes? I will say that I went shopping the day after Christmas and bought myself a pair of high top Nikes. Because: 


Okay, now onto my New Year's Resolutions:

So, here's a little story. In the summer, I started noticing that my migraines were ramping up. I have migraines with aura (and have for years), which means first, I lose my sight and then I'm hit with pain, light sensitivity and then 24 hours of lie-on-the-floor-and-die nausea. Which sucks, but last year it was only like, one every other month and that was doable. But suddenly, they were once a month. And then once every two weeks. And then, by July, I was having one a week. 

Finding myself basically incapacitated for a day a week was crazy to me. Like, it was summer: Kids home, working, trying to keep up with them and then BAM I'd be in my room with three pillows on my head and telling my husband he had to come home from work because I thought I was dying (migraines also come with a lot of drama and emotions for me, too. Hooray.)

Finally, I made an appointment with a new doctor. To be honest, I'm the type of person who is mortified to ever need help, so for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to talk to my usual, friend-of-the-family doc. 

Anyway, I was so stressed out about the appointment that I almost backed out like, six times. Finally, I put on some big girl pants (Calvin Klein, natch) and saw him. I explained the frequency of my migraines, along with a long family history of the same. 

First thing he asked me? "How are you sleeping? How do you feel when you lie down at night?" I thought about it and answered "Like I could probably run a marathon every night at 11 p.m."

After some other questions about my lifestyle and general state of mind, he came back with the question "Are you ever anxious?"

I won't get into the discussion we had, because you know, patient-doctor privilege, right? But in the end, after 30 minutes of talking about social situations, sleep habits and my overall personality, my doctor (very) gently suggested that I might be suffering from an anxiety and sleep disorder, which was triggering my migraines.

To be honest, I was first like "WHAT? I am not one of those people. I'm capable and responsible and dependable and on top of everything. Anxiety is for crazy people. I just have headaches sometimes." But see, here's the thing with that line of thinking: Believing that I had to be capable and had to be on top of everything was exactly what caused my sleepless nights and daily anxiety. I was literally making myself sick proving to everyone that I could do it all. 

I'm not even a perfectionist; it's much worse than that. I'm someone who has to be THE BEST at all times. And when you're constantly worried about being THE BEST, you can't ever relax, since there's a lot of self-evaluation and improvement happening. What if you stop and someone else becomes THE BEST? Being THE BEST at work, life, friends, style, everything was a huge factor in my lying awake at night and wondering if I was doing enough and what more I could add to be THE BEST.

Women get a crappy end of the deal sometimes. Call us the Pinterest Generation: We're obsessed with measuring up. Social media just offers a more palpable way to further assess our success based on others'. "Yeah, she's prettier – but my house is cleaner." "Sure, she's a great cook, but I heard her son is a hellion at school." "She's skinny – but it's like, 'skinny fat.' I have more muscle tone."

What the heck is up with that? We totally stand on someone else's shoulders to put ourselves ahead of the pack. It's some serious girl-on-girl crime, which I'm totally guilty of, too. We all do it as a way to justify someone else's talents and take her down, notch by notch.

We get it: No one's perfect. But I've learned that consistently "placing" yourself on a scale of other women is what leaves you feeling inadequate. Sometimes, I think women are the worst anti-feminists at all, because it's SO HARD to be happy for another woman. She has success, and we all think of ways that she's probably failing. 

I had an experience this year when I was on the receiving end on that girl-on-girl process. I was succeeding in one area, and someone had to point out somewhere that she thought I was failing. And seriously, not to be braggy at all, but it was an area in which I had worked really hard to be THE BEST. And I still had someone saying "Yeah, but..." And to keep it short and sweet, it sucked. Hard.

You guys. That's crappy behavior. Because everyone is just trying to do their best, right? Not a single one of us is just like, coasting through life and tripping into hyperbaric gold mines that cause us to be simultaneously rich and skinny. We all have kids and husbands and bodies and homes and not all of them will be perfect. All we really can do is work on being enough and acknowledging that it's the same thing every woman you know is trying to do, too. 

There's a wordy New Year's Resolution for you: To be OK with not being THE BEST and being happy for the person who is. 

I've worked with my doc and have a treatment plan in place. I didn't want to type that, because anxiety has a pretty crappy stigma and like, admitting to everyone that you're medicated isn't super cool, but it's true and it's been a total lifesaver. My migraines have gone back to being a once-in-awhile affair (I went all December migraine-free what what!) and I actually sleep. Every night. It's glorious. 

So basically, I'm THE BEST at anxiety treatment.

(KIDDING.)


Thanks again for another great year, guys. 

xo,
Jae 



15 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post and yes, always hard to tell people we are not "perfect" and that everything isn't always fine! I think all women struggle with that and your post has made me realize I do too. Not quite the same as yours but similar. I appreciate you giving voice to what a lot of us are probably feeling, but don't have the guts to come out and say! Good luck and it sounds like your migraines will be a thing of the past!! :)

Lynn said...

Wonderful post, Jae. First, my Christmas gift run-down: both my husband and college-aged son hit a home run this year. Between the two of them, I got a Naked eye shadow palette, some Philosophy Baby Grace body wash and lotion (LOVE the gentle fragrance), some sparkly hair accessories and loads of cute work-out wear that I had been wanting but felt was too expensive to buy for myself. I love it all!

As for your New Year's resolution, I could stand to make a similar one. As a matter of fact, I've been wondering about the same kind of anxiety with myself. My hubby suffered a terrible, nearly killed him, takes years to come back from cycling accident several years ago and I know that I've been on high alert ever since, just trying to hold everything together and get everything back to "perfect" again. We are very lucky in the health, family and material/financial stability space, but I know that accident strung me tighter than a wire and I'm aware of it daily. Maybe I'll take your cue and talk to my doc as well. We can "resolution" together.

Happy New Year! We are planning on a movie -- "Wild", my nephew has a non-speaking part in it -- then dinner, then home to avoid the nutsos. Catch you next year. 😉

Unknown said...

Happy New Year and I wish you all whatever you wish for yourselves in 2015. Jae, I know now that we are twins. I mean, if you can get twins that are 10 years apart and I am chubbier than thou. I have bought the same palette with a gift card I received at Christmas, and I unfortunately have diagnosed anxiety disorder so welcome to the club, sister from another mister!

My gorgeous husband gave me the Naked 2 palette (eyeshadows only one), some Armani Si perfume and a beautiful bracelet from Tiffany so I am a very grateful little wife indeed.

A note on the anxiety stuff. It's a great pity that our little world sees anxiety in such a negative way - no one would think anything of someone getting treatment for heart problems, arthritis etc, yet people feel judged for mental health issues. As someone who has had anxiety since early childhood, and I mean shocking, ridiculous anxiety that people cannot believe, I urge you to give yourself a pat on the back for seeing someone and getting help. I do a million things to help manage my anxiety and if anyone has a problem with it, I feel compassion that they don't have the mental capability to understand. I advise you to do the same xxxx

Anonymous said...

Well, your blog is totally the best. No, it's THE BEST and I love it. So there. And I hope that you can find a little more tranquility in 2015.

Regarding health concerns such as yours, I believe that all conditions exist on a spectrum. Everybody has SOMETHING going on. So, the idea of stigma being attached is pretty hypocritical. Further, anyone who would find fault with another person for that reason is not a very worthwhile human being.

Also, I love that you are positive about the holidays. I hear so many people complain abut what they don't like about Christmas in particular--that it's expensive, that relatives are a pain, that it creates stress, obligation and debt, that it excludes people who are of a different faith/without faith, etc.

My thoughts are that it can be whatever you want it to be. If you tell your friends/family members that gifts are homemade or on a budget, then they will understand. If not, then you need to find new friends. If you choose to opt out, then that's fine, too, but don't rain on the parade.

This is going to sound really obnoxious, but I fully intend to do my Christmas shopping when we get our tax refund this year. I stuck my head in the sand this Christmas, and then it was a little too expensive all at once. More planning ahead of time! Maybe I'll even make a few homemade gifts. Who knows.

But Pinterest can shove it.

Heidi J said...

Jae, thanks so much for voicing what I feel as well. Someone recently called me a "workhorse" and I loved it. I always want to be that dependable person, the one who gets the job done. A couple months ago I seriously hurt my back and have been in constant pain. For the first time in my life, I have had to ask others for help, have had to say no to some things. And I have been AMAZED at how accepting others are when I tentatively admit I can't lift something, can't stand for more than a few minutes, etc. I thought if I wasn't the physically strong one that I had no worth. We put so much unneccessary pressure on ourselves! Here's to being nicer to ourselves in 2015!

Allison Hill said...

First-christmas run down. My husband did GREAT... with the stuff I bought myself and gave him to give me, like over the knee boots (squee!). But for some reason even though he did super fantastic last year, this year he reached back into our newlywed years for inspiration I guess and bought me the same crappy uninspired sweaters. In the same sizes. And he "helped" our daughter buy me jewelry which is so terrible I was nearly speechless when I opened it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought and the gift, but wow-after 14 years I thought we were past this!

Next though, I also have a migraine condition, although mine is very severe and mimics a stroke. I used to have them 3-4 times a week, but now it's down to 1-3 per month. When this hit me (it turned badly quite suddenly a few years ago), I was working full time, going to school full time, managing a theatre, running a theatre company, acting in the theatre company's shows, and I had a husband in had school and two children in elementary school. I know EXACTLY what you mean about doing everything, being everywhere, and being THE BEST. We had to close the theatre, we paused the theatre company, I left the stage, and dropped out of school. I clung to my job as long as my understanding boss would let me. And I had to ask people for help and understanding and it was hard, but it was worth it to calm my life down. Now I'm in a place in my life where instead of considering going on disability, I'm back in school again. But I've learned my lesson, and I take it easy and I ask for help and I back off when I get warning signs. That's a great resolution to make-don't stress about stress-ever!

Jenny Evans said...

Hard not to compare your worst to someone else's best.

I'm THE WORST at making New Year's Resolutions, if it makes you feel any better. Like, I briefly thought about making mine going to bed earlier, but I'm posting this at 12:17am so you know that didn't really happen...

Jae said...

You guys are awesome. I don't know why we all put so much pressure on ourselves! I wish I could be a person who was just like "Whatever," but it's like you said, Heidi -- we're programmed to be workhorses.

Avril, we are living in parallel planes, I'm sure of it. How do you like Naked 2? It's the only one I don't have! And Lynn, so cool about your nephew! It took me a lot of time to work up the nerve to call the doc, but once I did I was soooo glad. I'm still so glad.

Nora, good point about the holidays. Yeah, they can be annoying, but they happen once a year. Make 'em what you want them to be and move on. No sense in dwelling on the bad parts when the good parts are like, fudge and presents, right?

Allison, my mom has the stroke-like migraines (with paralysis) and her doc said that he would expect mine to progress into that territory as I get older. Thanks for the genes, mom. Hers are also exacerbated by stress, so really I should have expected all this lol.

I just didn't think of myself as a very stressed-out person, because you operate at a certain level for so long that you think it's normal. I still don't think I'm "stressed," I just put a lot of pressure on everything I do. Weird, right?

Jenny, there's always tomorrow. Or in your case, today ;)

Nathaly Blalock said...

I will never forget the video of Addison getting... crap what was it, an American girl doll? Ok I guess I did forget. But her reaction was awesome. I got a bathroom remodel and a new washer and dryer, woot woot!!!! I was pretty excited about it. Love this post. Hope you stay healthy this year!

Betsy said...

Well, I love your blog--you get me to smile, nay, laugh! every time I read a post. So, thanks to you for that!
Also, I get aura migraines too, and something I have found that helps (prevention-wise) is monthly massages. I get a 60 minute therapeutic massage every month, and the migraines have really lessened in frequency. Plus, it is probably the only thing I do for myself...besides online shoe shopping, but that's another story.
Happy New Year!

Leigh said...

I'm so glad your migraines are better--I get aural migraines about once every two months and they suuuuuuck. Especially when they hit while I'm driving home from work! Makes it hard to see those 18-wheelers on the freeway.

And I'm so very glad that you got help. My husband has severe anxiety & depression and it took him YEARS to finally ask for medical help, and now he regrets wasting all that time feeling awful.

You're so right about the struggle for perfection, but I think it's worst in our 30s. Once I hit 40, I pretty much stopped caring about what anyone else thinks! It's pretty freeing. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for a wonderfully honest post, Jae. SO many of us are right there with you, and doing the best we can. Happy yo hear you're feeling better 😍

Unknown said...

So true...thanks for being honest and open about something I know I struggle with. I have a few years on you (like...I do wear mom jeans because...well...55 plus....) but I realized a couple of years ago this ugly truth....I am just fine with others doing well AS LONG AS I AM DOING WELL....ugh...I realized that I don't cheer others on when I am failing miserably and THAT is not the way I want to be...always a work in progress...but refreshing to hear others who share from the heart too!

Jae said...

My mom also said that she stopped caring at age 40 too! But my problem is that I compete against MYSELF. Maybe one day I'll learn to go a little easier, but for now I'm a really crappy boss to me lol!

Betsy, I will definitely look into that!

Unknown said...

Hello Jae,

You should try these dresses at least ones in life. You will definitely looks Sexy in these dresses.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.