What I Wore: I'll Have a Faux Christmas

Monday, December 8, 2014

My family is all over the world right now: I have one brother holding down the fort in our hometown (watching the familial dogs, natch) one in Japan with his wife and her family, one in England for school (and complaining about the food) and one in Vancouver. And unfortunately, no one is going to be home for Christmas this year, so my parents came down to pre-game and throw a faux Christmas with my kids for the whole last week.

We used to call it "fake Christmas" but my mom didn't like it. 

It's funny, because I feel like it should be like, December 24th already: We've done all of our holiday traditions in one week so I'm confused. Yesterday, we did a full present exchange, complete with the part where I fall asleep on the couch while my mom cooks an enormous ham dinner. It was glorious. We've also seen lights at Temple Square, done a crazy amount of shopping and played with my kids' Zoomer Dinos (from Gigi and Poppy) for roughly eight hours yesterday. 

One of them nuzzled me and I've developed feelings for it. Her name is Zoe.

Anyway, this is what I wore for our day of faux Christmas merrymaking on Friday. We headed up to Salt Lake to shop at City Creek, have dinner and see the lights. And remind myself why I live in the middle of nowhere because I don't like people or public bathrooms.

It was blissfully balmy, which was new: Usually you're rubbing up against strangers in Temple Square in an effort to stay warm. I only wore a green military jacket over this at night; otherwise, I got to go coatless and it was lovely for December. 

Top: kensie (here and on sale!)  (I really wanted it in leopard but everything I own is leopard so my friend bought it instead and I can still love it from afar. That's a good friend.)
Pants: Calvin Klein (here). I lost a couple sizes and my beloved H&M leather pants don't fit anymore so I had to buy new ones because life without a pair of leather pants basically isn't worth living. Also these have an elastic waistband. AN ELASTIC WAISTBAND.
Shoes: Call it Spring (sold out, sad) (similar) (similar)
Necklace, yes I'm wearing it again I can't stop: Cara, via Nordstrom (here) (cheaper option)
Watch, on sale!! 

My parents go home tomorrow and I guess we'll go back to celebrating mainstream Christmas which is like, a hipster's nightmare. And THEN!! I have my citizenship interview this week, because nothing says holiday spirit like getting grilled on questions Americans don't even know the answers to. After the 10th, I'll either be primed to be American or being deported, so get ready for that.

Hey, I might be home for Christmas after all. 

5 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

Don't get deported! I want to keep seeing photos of you wearing cute shoes, and one cannot do that when it is super-cold out. As in Canada.

That's right, become a citizen. For me.

Lynn said...

Merry Faux Christmas! I just ordered the tassel necklace for myself! :-)

Jae said...

Nora, I'm on it. For you.

Lynn, YAY! I'm loving it -- it's super versatile. Also, when you get it, you can adjust the size by untying the knot. I learned that the hard way when it got stuck on my head. My fave way to wear it has been with a plain v-neck and blazer.

Unknown said...

Good luck for your citizenship! I love, love, love that top in this post, great casual winter outfit. Jae, please could I request a winter casual blog advice post? I look great at work (how humble, by that I mean I look pulled together) but I feel a bit lost trying to pull ankle boots with different jean types!

Lisa B said...

I want you to know that I recently bought a leather pencil skirt because of your blog. I LOVE it. So thank you.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.