3 Ways to Wear a Kimono Top

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

If you haven't noticed kimono tops in every store right now, you probably haven't been shopping in a while. Because I was like, punched in the face with them repeatedly over the weekend. And I bought two. Because guess what? They're kind of perfect for summer, even if they seem a little weird and shapeless at first.

They're obviously not a direct representation of actual kimonos, but rather chiffon tops that are drapey, open and have large sleeves. So like a sexy robe that you only wear when your kids aren't around. But you can wear it (with clothes please) to the grocery store. Score! They're comfy, light and super pretty.

I think the trick with kimonos is that you need to balance them with a pretty sleek look underneath. Too much loose-ness and you're in patchouli burger territory. Instead, use it as a romantic-type topper on an otherwise fitted look.

And, if you're like "What the heck am I going to do with a kimono top?" I have some ideas for you.

1. Casual Date

kimono2


How pretty would this be out to dinner? Answer: Very pretty. See how the rest of the outift is basic? Cami, jeans, flats. So easy. Throw on some huge bangles and you have a really simple boho look without going completely crazy. It kind of takes the place of a blazer or cardigan because honestly who wants a cardigan in the heat?

2. Church or Wedding

Untitled #249


Again, you can wear your kimono with a dress or skirt as long as it's a pretty fitted getup. I tried with all my might to see if I could get it to work with a maxi skirt and I think they only way to do that would be a fitted maxi with a very defined waist and/or belt. Otherwise it's just too much. But with a blush pencil skirt? Like, shut up it's so pretty.

Also, I saw a girl wearing a kimono with bermuda shoes and wedges the other day and it was super adorable, so there you go.

3. Beach

kimono1


Hey, awesome use for your kimono: Wear it to the pool or beach. Real talk here: The wedges would be a bit much for shlepping children to the pool, but so fun for a vacation with the hubs. Otherwise, some cute flip flops and an adorable swimsuit (I'm obsessed with these high-waisted bottoms!) and you're good to go. Added bonus: Some coverage when you're running into the gas station for pistachios which is what happens to me every time.

So, what do you think? Are you going to try this trend or are you happy to send it on its way?

2 comments:

Allison Hill said...

I've been staying out of stores (and away from temptation!) since I lost my job, so I haven't seen these, but they are ADORABLE and I must own asap.

Unknown said...

Meh, I keep seeing people with a kimono and the patterned jersey trousers that are around right now and it looks sloppy. Also, I'm very hourglass shaped so need definition at the waist - maybe with boyfriend belt over one?

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.