What I Wore: Proud to Be

Monday, February 3, 2014

My friends always make fun of me because I love clothes that have American designs -- despite the fact that I'm not American. My green card is valid until 2017, after which I can renew or just become a citizen.
Most Americans I meet ask me why I don't "just" become American. I find it's hard for them to imagine someone NOT wanting to be American. Yes, there's the chance for dual citizenship and whatnot, but when and if I do change my citizenship, I'd just prefer it to be the same as the rest of my family, all of whom are American. Easier for traveling.

I'm still dragging my feet though. Canadians are awesome and polite and I've never actually said the Pledge of Allegiance. It is, however, very awkward to just stand there while everyone else does it. I fully expect to become American one of these days, but I'm happy to be a Canadian... who happens to have lived in the U.S. for almost 11 years.

For now, though, I'll just settle for wearing the flag ironically. Until 2017, at least. 

Jacket: Charlotte Russe (love these colors for spring) (similar)
Pants: c/o Wizards of the West (no longer avail) (similar) (I heart these)
Shoes: Call it Spring Milada (here) (similar) (love these in grey)
Scarf: David & Young (similar) (want this one SO BAD) (way cheap)
PS nice photobomb, armchair. 

Also, I super love shorter hair with scarves. It just works. I wore this last Thursday, which we all know is gymnastics day (kill me now). It was also my niece's birthday and girl's night, which involved cake and very dirty conversation hearts, respectively. This was a good "little bit of everything" outfit.

And yeah, I really want a Canadian scarf too. What can I say? I'm an equal-opportunity scarf-wearer.

7 comments:

bashashhazbaz said...

well for a canadian who lives in the usa, you always dress awesomely. until now i would never have guessed you weren't a member of this country! :)

Anonymous said...

You're making me really miss Canada, now. No, I'm not Canadian, but I used to live really close to the border. Which was convenient for my friends on their nineteenth birthdays.

I kind of want to live in Canada now.

Jae said...

bashashhazbaz, I love starting immigration debates off with "AS AN IMMIGRANT" to freak people out. Especially if they were saying something negative about immigrants in general. It's my favorite.

Nora, LOL about the 19th birthday. Canandians love their drank. And I love their chocolate.

bashashhazbaz said...

LOL! jae you're hilarious!

Unknown said...

Girl I feel ya!Im a Canadian living in the south for the last seven years.My green card will stay on renewal though.I love being Canadian and feel proud of all that means. Eh?

Anonymous said...

The mom of a friend of mine is German, and although she's lived in this country for over 40 years, she has yet to become an American citizen. So, you know. Take your time.

hasspmall said...

Actually, it doesn't matter what style you chose. You could be who you want in America.
Originalluxury

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.