Freaky Friday: Hall of Shame

Friday, February 7, 2014

Since this week was about makeup, I decided to clean out the depths of my vanity drawer to see what unlucky products have been languishing there since they came out of the packaging. And while a lot of what was back there was old bobby pins, I did find some of the worst products that I tried, hated and tossed back there. Silver lining to my wasted money? I can now tell you what not to buy.

BOO:


Here's a classic case of a pricey product being nowhere near as good as a drugstore one. I got talked into a $23 (!!) bottle of this slop when picking up my regular pot of Bare Minerals foundation. This stuff felt like I was putting pure oil onto my face and it didn't prime worth a crap. I still had my regulation dinner-plate pores and it made me break out.

YAY:
This is still the only primer I'll use -- it's creamy and lovely and even lets me go sans makeup:

BOO:
Yup, it's going into the garbage, folks. I obviously have a well-documented hatred for this mascara. I won't even let my daughter have it for playtime because SHE NEEDS TO LEARN.

YAY:
I feel like this stuff is made from unicorn tears and I'm OK with that. Also, let's compare the packaging for the two mascaras. I'm sorry, did Lisa Frank make that plush stuff? I am a grown woman.

BOO:
This stuff was reallllly oily for a BB cream. And, since it only comes in like, three shades, you have to just settle for one that's "close enough." I think I used it once.

YAY:
Much better. Creamy consistency and it comes in more shades (I think five?) so even my freaky pale skin gets a solid treatment. I use this a lot in the summer when I want to even out skin tone without caking on the makeup.

BOO:
You guys know I love ELF and I actually didn't mind this stain when I first got it. But then it was dried out and when it wore off my lips, it would leave a ring behind and it's now just relegated to the bottom of my makeup bag.

YAY: 
LOVE this stuff from The Body Shop -- I have it in two shades. It's much pricier at around $15, BUT I actually use it. It has a nice consistency, but more importantly, it doesn't dry out my lips. I even wore it in family pictures because I was positive it would stay nice for a couple of hours. Also... you can use it on cheeks and that makes me happy.

BOO:
This smelled nice but did absolutely nothing for my hair. And at $26, it better make my hair shine like actual baby angels to be worth the money.

YAY:
Just use a good shampoo instead. I have my whole family using Aveeno now. Super soft hair, smells good, no need for expensive hair masks. If I want extra conditioning, I just comb a dime-sized amount through my damp hair and leave it. Also, it makes my daughter's crazy thick hair super soft, too. That makes me feel good about my mothering skills.

BOO: 
Super great, if you want spider lashes that you later have to scrub to remove. Uh, no thanks. Also, head's up, mascara companies: The only way to look like you're wearing lash extensions is to actually wear lash extensions. These do not put "tubes" around your eyelashes. It's a primer. Just say primer.

YAY:
Seriously, just buy a quality mascara. I still stand by Dior as my number one and this:
As my favorite drugstore brand. And it's been that way for like, two years.

BOO:
I actually liked the way this FELT but it lasted maaaaaybe two seconds on my lips. Awesome. Plus I'm just a gloss girl, so I don't know why I continually spend money on lipstick. I always think it'll be the one to convert me. Nope.

YAY:
I'll just stick with my Baby Lips. I just bought this color and it's awesome. That brings my tally up to five, if you're keeping track. I feel like if you buy five of the same product, it's probably a winner.


Alright, this just turned into a big beauty review post. Any hits or misses that you've had in the last little while?

UGH don't you hate buying a product that totally sucks?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Jae - thanks so much for warning me off the Bare Essentuals primer - I was considering getting it since I love so many of their products. Garnier BB cream is way too oily in the summer, but right now in the arctic cold it is working well for me. I think they now have an oil free version which I may try when I run out. Or if I'm smart, I'll just buy the one you recommend.

Jae said...

Linda, I got the "brightening" one shown there -- it had a bit of shimmer in it I guess? But once the makeup was on you couldn't even see it. I'm not sure if the regular is any better. They've tried to sell it to me a few other times and I'm like "STILL NO."

Katie said...

Jae- just wanted to say I am a long time reader of your blog and I love you! Brooke is my SIL and turned me on to your blog. I love how you are like, "Tuesday? Bring out the leopard!" You make looking good seem so accessible, if that makes sense at all.

Anonymous said...

e.l.f products seem to be very "hit or miss" for me. I tried that very same lipstain that you just reviewed. I felt like I was applying a highlighter marker to my mouth.

Weirdly enough, my favorite e.l.f. product has been one of its most boring. It was a creamy lip balm that tasted like coconut pie. It does nothing for you visually--if anything, it makes you look like you're wearing sunblock--but it feels incredibly smooth. It's like comfort food for your lips.

Tall Girl Running said...

I had the same result with the e.l.f. lip stain. Total bust. I was so annoyed by it that I even returned it to the store for my money back. It was only two bucks but it was the principle of the matter!

I really, really want to like Baby Lips but the one I bought left a lot to be desired. It was one of the medicated shades and while it feels good going on, the color fades much too quickly for my taste. Maybe I'd have better luck with the regular kind instead of the medicated?

Jae said...

I found that the color on the medicated one is a lot less pigmented than the regular. The neon pink color (it's not actually that neon on the lips)lasts longer. The longest lasting one was definitely the cherry red original in the orange tube, though.

Nora, I agree, some of ELF's basic products are their best. It's when they get too fancy that they miss the mark.

Katie, you're awesome! Glad to help and yes, leopard on a Tuesday is normal for me. Actually leopard on any day is normal for me.

Gillian said...

So I definitely went out and bought three of the things you recommended - I needed new shampoo, so I decided to try Aveeno and I love it so far! And my mascara was running out so I tried the L'Oreal one and it's great - no clumping! Also you finally talked me into trying the Baby Lips - one of the medicated ones - and it's fantastic. Feels great, soothes my poor winter-chapped lips, and the colour lasts a while!

Rachael Cain said...

I am primer-obsessed. My favourite is actually just the $6 ELF mineral primer. I was very surprised, but it seems like a great dupe for the Smashbox photo finish which is exorbitantly priced, so no thanks. I have yet to try your pick though, maybe I will check it out. Also my fav mascara ever is also Voluminous. Twinsies.

Jae said...

Rachael, from what I can tell the ingredients in the ELF and Smashbox are almost identical... there's just like, $30 difference lol.

Gillian, it makes my heart happy that you liked everything! I found my medicated Baby Lips in a coat pocket I hadn't worn in a while, so it was like discovering it all over again! Related: I have a really bad memory.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.