How to Wear Different Boot Heights

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

 ***Hey guys, this is totally a repost. We had some really sad stuff happen in our little community over the weekend (I'm not trying to be vague on purpose, it's just not up to me to divulge the details) and it would be wholly inappropriate to react by posting pictures of myself prancing around on the Internet. I know I'm always bummed when a blog has old or no content for a week, but it's a necessary evil at least until Monday. You guys still love me, right?**

As the coldest winter in the history of mankind trudges on, I've found that I literally have not worn anything but boots for like, a month. Yesterday, while I was organizing my closet -- yes, I occasionally do that -- I was pulling out boots left and right and mentally cataloging all of the boots I want to buy when they go on sale in like, March. Oh yes, they will be mine. Anyway, since I'm kind of sick of wearing boots in general, I thought it might help if I made some outfit ideas with different boot lengths. Because seriously, if I have to wear another boot/cardigan combo, I might throw up. Of course, that might have something to do with the flu but STILL.

Ankle Boots


boots1



People Tree jersey shirt, $43 / Mango slim jeans / Aéropostale studded shoes / Messenger bag / Black jewelry / Giani Bernini celtic jewelry, $13
Ankle boots are tricky for me because I have a generous backside which is a really nice way of saying huge butt. Little shoes + huge butt makes me look like Humpty Dumpty. Still, you can get away with it as long as you know your proportions and you keep your clothes slim-fitting. Wearing ankle boots with too much volume up top could make you look like you have teeny little pins for legs ESPECIALLY if you carry your weight in your belly. I like ankle boots with tons of hardware, since they look more substantial to stay balanced. Also notice that all the boots today are flat because hello, it's winter and I live in Utah and everything is covered in ice. The other day I was wearing like, the smallest 1" heels and I almost killed myself trying to get into our Jeep. I have learned my lesson.

Mid-Calf Boots

boots2

Mid-calf boots can visually cut your leg in half, so I like to wear mine with a rolled cuff, That way, I'm controlling where the cutting happens and I can extend it a little. Luckily, I have longer legs and I can deal. This would not be great if you have short legs... it'll look like you have little knee stumps. Choose an ankle or knee boot instead. I love wearing my mid-calf boots with tomboy-ish stuff. I think they look better with looser, less prim clothes. I may have worn an exact replica of this outfit a few days ago, except that I also wore a hat. My hair was messy and I have roots. Don't judge.

Knee-High Boots

boots3


These babies are the most flattering and where you should start if you're a total newb. You probably already know how to wear skinnies with knee high boots, but I also wear my flat boots with skirts, too. I like how it makes them look more sporty and less board room, so you can get away with wearing them casually. Tip: Wear tights, too. It's hard to go wrong with knee-high boots, they're super easy. I wear mine with colored skinnies, jeans, skirts and maxi dresses and skirts.

Over-the-Knee Boots


boots4



Button down shirt / Skinny fit jeans, $35 / Charlotte Russe kitten heels / Canvas satchel, $16 / Leather cuff bracelet, $40 / Juicy Couture jewelry / Topshop 

Alright, Pretty Woman. If you're looking for some over-the-knee boots, remember that they make your legs look really short. To balance it, belt your shirt at your skinniest part and it'll trick people into thinking that's where your legs start. That way, you get longer thighs before the boot cuts 'em off. Wow, that sounded really violent. Also, choose boots that go JUST over the knee. Anything higher and you're off to Hookerville, do you hear me? I like over-the-knee with more polished looks and jeans rather than skirts.

Surfing around and finding outfits has given me some awesome boot ideas and I really bad case of I-want-to-buy-everything-itis.

What's your go-to boot outfit? Seriously I am SO boot-bored and need ideas!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I've found that I literally have not worn anything but boots for like, a month."

Someone will call the police!

Jae said...

Hahaha what can I say, I'm an exhibitionist. To make it worse, I live in what is basically a glass house. Heyyyyyyy neighbors!

Anonymous said...

Anyone will find this blog interesting, enlightening and entertaining at the same time. It's an honest blog that teaches the reader to be herself and yet pushes to go out in the world fashionably dressed whatever shape her body is.

Diane Phillips

Anonymous said...

Fantastic examples! There's no greater way to learn than showing those awesome combinations.

Ashlyn Tompkins

GIrin said...

I think knee high & narrow calf boot outfit looks more adorable. So If i have to choose then i must go with that outfit.

spacegeek33 said...

OMG I saw a lady in a TIGHT bright green bebe dress (bebe in sparkles on the chest!) with over the knee boots *at the deli* restaurant I was attending in my workout stretchies. LOLOL shudder.

Jae said...

Yeah that's some Julia Roberts-before-the-makeover stuff right there. PS glitter at the deli? I don't want that in my pastrami.

Jennifer Wells said...

My sympathies with what's going on in your community. I'm sorry if it's making you feel sad.

Also, I may need (ha! I said "need") to go boot shopping now.

Unknown said...

I'm right along with you! I have literally rotated between jeans with boots, a dress with boots and skinnies with boots for 6 weeks!!!

Brianna
http://keepingupwiththekeens2428.blogspot.com/

Tall Girl Running said...

I can't decide what looks best with the mid-calf boot and rolled cuff: a little bit of leg (calf) showing or none at all (which requires the perfectly cuffed pant). What say ye?

(A long-time lurker coming out. I enjoy your blog and especially appreciate your "keepin' it real" style. Thanks for what you do!)

Jae said...

I've done both, but my favorite way is to cuff a pair of pants the same color as the mid calf boots. That way, you still get the effect without making your legs look shorter. But I don't mind a little ankle peeking out, especially if you have longer legs!

Unknown said...

wow, interesting to see this kind of stuff. I really appreciate your stuff, its very helpful for others.

movie star replica leather jacket

Unknown said...

so great post i like that oufit and also thank you for share with us like this post
Argan Oil Private Label

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.