What I Wore: Cocktail

Monday, March 5, 2012

(OMG, remember that movie? Cocktail? One time we watched it in Sociology class in school and I still have no idea why. It did give be a burning desire to become a fancy bartender with smooth moves, though.)

SO I just spent the night with a barfy kid. My thanks to whoever allowed their sick child to lick the grocery cart before I used it. Really, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

But on Friday night I was much farther away from The Great Kindergartner Sickness of '12. I was helping out at a benefit for our hospital's NICU. Each year they do an event with an auction and entertainment to benefit the pediatric and NIC unit of three of our local hospitals. As a NICU volunteer, I'm all over that business. I was helping out with the silent auction, which basically meant I stood around and tried to encourage bidding wars between rich guys.

The event is semi-formal and cocktail attire, but some people go crazy. Floor-length gowns are always my favorite. I was telling my friend that it would be totally boss if some lady showed up with a fox fur, but no such luck. So I decided to err on the side of cocktail/semi-formal and break out my new cocktail dress, even though I totally would love to show up in a floor-length ballgown. This dress is one of about 10 cocktail frocks that I own, despite the fact that I never actually drink cocktails.

Photobucket
Dress: Dorothy Perkins
Jacket: F21
Shoes: Windsor
Bracelet + Ring: Charlotte Russe
Sweet mother of mercy I need a tan.

(Fun story about this dress! I saw it on Pinterest and became very obsessed and convinced my husband to buy it for me when I was in a bad mood. He can and will buy my love. I love the color TOO Much and it also comes in jade green, coral, black and cream. I DIE.)

Photobucket
I went all Magyver and wore the same outfit on Sunday because I slept in. SCORE. Also, this is what happens when I let my 3 year old pose the shot for me. Tyra would be proud.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Yes, a giant turquoise cocktail ring was necessary.

And lest you think I'm some kind of superhero, I only lasted in these shoes for about 2.5 hours. After my part in the silent auction was over and I was headed to stuff my face with like, soup shooters and shrimp scampi, I changed into my lace flats. I have my limits, people. My feet thanked me the next morning.

So, today I've done a complete 180 and declaring it a sick kid movie day. I shall wear my pajamas with pride!

11 comments:

Angela said...

Wish I snagged that dress while it was on sale... it's sold out now :( :( :(

Jae said...

Ah! I know, I saw that too!! Coral maybe? lol

jen bryner said...

You make me laugh...and also make me want to shop for clothes, shoes, and accessories. Shame on you! But thank you, too :)

jen bryner said...

You make me laugh...and also make me want to shop for clothes, shoes, and accessories. Shame on you! But thank you, too :)

Nathaly Blalock said...

You look great in this dress!

Jae said...

Jen, you are completely welcome. lol. My apologies to your bank account.

Jae said...

Nat, I want every dress on the DP website. Seriously they are all super amazing.

Jennifer Wells said...

Well done. Looking hot made all of those rich dudes want to bid higher, just to impress you.

Jae said...

Hahah Nora... I will do my part for charity.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Does that dress make you look tall? I mean, I've never met you IRL, but I'm pretty sure you're short? But that dress? All the sudden you're an amazon. Well played, cocktail dress. Well played. Of course, this means that if I get that dress I will look like I belong in the WNBA...

Jae said...

lol I'm 5'4 but those heels are a 5.5 inch I think? So yes, I look waaaay taller than I really am. It freaks my hubby out every time.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.