How to Hide Heinous Roots

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spoiler alert here people! I'm not *actually* a natural blonde. I know, you're just blown away, right? I apologize for ruining your day.

Seriously though, old-timey readers know that I went blonde at the end of the summer last year because I got into my head that I could pull it off. After three hours in the hairstylist's chair I had scored the perfect shade and I've been overjoyed with the results. Know what I'm not overjoyed with?

The crazypants roots I get after a few weeks! I have freakishly thick, quick-growing hair, which means every couple of months I back, begging my hairdresser for more blonde. I figure I'll go back to dark hair this fall, but for summer, I'm keepin' it (not) real with the lighter color. I actually have an appointment on Friday, so you know it's getting bad.

So, that means I've had to become a prostar at hiding really bad roots until I can snag an appointment. One of the first things you want to avoid at all costs is giving your hair a hard part, like so:

K, you guys know I love you because I'm letting you see my really bad roots. Go ahead, make fun of me. I can take it. And by "take it" I mean "cry in my bed while eating ice cream and watching Sabrina."

But seriously, they look SO bad because my hair is slicked back into a pony. I might as well have made a sign that says "Hey, I'm busy and highlights cost a lot!"

Don't be like me.

Instead, how about these suggestions to get you through till hair day?

1) Tons of Texture

One way that I can usually hide roots is by using a ton of body and texture to trick the eye into thinking my hair is like, you know, done. Going with waves or curls makes the line between your real color and what you tell people your real color is by blurring the hard line of the roots. I just add product to wet hair and let it air dry or use a diffuser. Then I pretend like my diffuser is creature from outer space trying to attack my brains because sometimes I get bored while drying my hair.

2) Slick it Back

I love to have some sweepy bangage (which sounds kinda dirty) but when I have roots, I opt for something a little neater. I'll pull all of my hair back from the front hairline and do a messy bun. Then, I grab a thick cloth hair band and slide it right over the bad roots. You can then take your hair down for a totally cute vintage 70s look or leave it up, which always makes me look like I'm going to play volleyball, but whatevs. I'm not really because I'm a terrible volleyball player. TERRIBLE.

3) Ziz Zag Part

In highs chool, my brother learned the hard way that it's NOT OK to mess up the ziggy zaggy part a teenage girl spend three hours to create. But since we're not teenagers anymore, you shouldn't have to fear obnoxious 16 year olds messing up your hair. Unless it's your own kid. That's something I would totally do to my mom. (A reader pointed out that this originally said "do my mom" which is hilariously awkward/awesome. Oh Jae, when will you learn to proofread?)

Seriously, I love to torture her. Sometimes I like to bodycheck her into the wall when I pass her in the hallway. Is that mean?

I DIGRESS. A messy part can hide some seriously bad roots, so mix it up a little! Try parting your hair farther over than normal or go with a center part. Just let your hair fall wherever and you won't see them as badly. Or, grab a comb and seriously draw a zig zag going from the front of your hairline to your crown, then part. Done!

4) Eyeshadow

I know what you're thinking -- Jae's being drinkin' the crazy juice. But unless crazy juice is peach/mango Crystal Light, I assure you, I have not. Eyeshadow can be your BFF when your roots are showing. Seriously! I've totally done this and my secret is out. People who know me IRL, don't you DARE JUDGE ME.

Grab some eyeshadow close to the color of your dyed hair. I use a goldy color. Spray your hair with hairspray and quickly brush a little eyeshadow onto your roots while the spray is tacky. Hey, it's not going to work every time, but when you only have a half inch showing and you have family pictures, it's totally worth the quick fix.

SO, have I given you hope for the future? If all else fails, wear a hat. I've been wearing one nonstop this week because I know I'm *so close* to getting rid of my roots. Ahhh... hair salon feeling, you shall be mine!

10 comments:

jen bryner said...

Trick for dark hair: mascara! If you need to cover some roots, just brush it on :) I refuse to go blond because of the upkeep...plus I love love love my dark hair and I actually dye it darker. Thanks for the tips!!

Jae said...

Ooh good call. I sometimes totally miss my dark hair, but so far I've had a lot of fun as a blonde. I might even be planning some peekaboo color on Friday. But I'll go back to dark eventually, when my poor hair can take it anymore.

craftosaurus said...

Ok, so I don't usually point out errors on blogs, but I kinda feel like you might want to fix this one:

Under item 3: "totally do TO my mom"

Don't get me wrong, it was super fun doing a spit take and getting water all up in my sinuses when I read that part. Thought you might want to know, though. ;)

Jae said...

Hahaha I am the QUEEN of awkward typos. One time, I was texting my friend and said "my mom will be so mad" and it came out "my mom will be spanked."

LOL... now I have to decide if I want to fix it or not... h

Jenna said...

Dude, you know half a foot of roots is, like, SO IN right now?

Jennifer Wells said...

Wish I could go blonde! But I have very Snow White coloring, and I'd look scary.

Me said...

SO I have been an avid reader of yours since Sunday:) I seriously love this blog of yours! My hair straighter because of you- I'm not flipping my head over anymore, just blowing straight down from the top, and it makes my naturally curly hair so dang smooth- and I went to Forever 21 on Tuesday (where I have wanted to check out for a long time and just never had- you convinced me!) and spend $25 and got 2 belts, 2 pairs of great earrings, and 2 scarves. Love those prices! Anyway, enough rambling, but thanks for some great inspiration. Maybe eyeshadow on my roots next?

Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jae said...

F21 is the best for cheap accessories. Seriously, I can't help myself in there! lol

Michelle said...

That's why I do balayage...no worries about roots! That's the point :)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.