What I Wore: Plain Jane

Monday, August 8, 2011

Here she is! Another outfit post! I'm starting to really enjoy these. So is my husband, as "yoga pants" does not an outfit post make.

One of my favorite ways to dress is to choose a really plain outfit with only a couple of neutral colors, then use accessories to brighten up the look. I love love love playing with jewelry and sometimes I feel like my more colorful pieces (peacock earrings and multicolor necklaces, anyone) don't get the love they deserve is a sea of silver and gold standbys. Yes, I sometimes feels sorry inanimate objects, so sue me. So the other day, while on the way out to my volunteer gig, I suited up with my plain white summer dress, my beloved Fryes and a neutral cargo jacket so I could pile on the cuteness in accessory form.



Dress: Old Navy
Jacket: DEB
Boots: Frye
Necklace (worn as bracelet) Buckle
Earrings and cuff: F21

Also, my hair was done with the no heat curls method. I still can't believe how well it works. Hello, lucious curliness!



My Fryes are easily the most versatile shoes I have in my shoe closet. They match ANYTHING and after nearly two years, they only get better with time. I love wearing them with girly dresses because they're kinda dirty and tough-looking.


My favorite colored bead necklace from Buckle and cute hair buttons I picked up at a local boutique.


I LOVE THESE EARRINGS! Peacock makes me inexplicably happy. I am powerless against it. I carried my teal Roxy bag (not pictured boo) and the brights were all anchored together.

"But Jae!" You say, in a concerned void. "You're wearing a DRESS. For CASUAL WEAR."
Yes. I wear dresses as casual wear. Because they can be casual and they're easier to squeeze into than a pair of skinny jeans. I always say that the first time you wear a dress for like, grocery shopping, it's probably going to feel weird. And if people aren't used to it, they'll inevitably make a comment like "Why are you all dressed up?" Just ignore it and keep going and the third or fourth time it'll feel like second nature and you'll be like "Why didn't I wear casual dresses before this?"

So, the next time you're staring at your closet yearning for an easy peasy way to make a statement, remember: neutral clothes + dress + bright accessories = put together happiness.


9 comments:

LoLa*~ said...

Oh how I covet your Fryes! Cute outfit!

mushbelly said...

I have tried that no heat curls trick a couple of times and I love it! My hair is pretty short so its kinda hard to get the back part up in the hair band - but it still works. I did it last night with damp hair and I have to say, my hair looks extra good today.

And I need to go buy a cute white summery dress. I can't believe I don't have one!

Sheriece said...

So adorable... I DIE. We must go out sometime soon so you can help me find a casual dress. I've become accustomed to wearing my maxi dresses EVERYWHERE and a white skirt on occasion, but I need a knee-length casual dress :)

Jae said...

No heat curls are the best, aren't they? I'm super addicted to doing it and then forcing it on others. That's just how I do. And yes, summery casual dresses FOR ALL! Old Navy had tons but I've also gotten one at F21 and I have one from Urban Wear I really like. I might be addicted to those, too.

Jenna said...

Very cute outfit. I love peacock too but am not quite there yet. Yanno?

Jae said...

Jenna, I can understand that. When you first give it a shot, I think dressing down to temper the flamboyancy helps. Like, jeans, a white tee and a peacock necklace. Still super cute but not looking like an ACTUAL peacock. You'll get there lol.

Jennifer Wells said...

Yes! Yay for casual dresses and skirts!

Women don't consider them as an option very often, and I'm afraid that the day will come when women stop wearing them altogether, the way they don't wear fancy hats.

Sadness.

Paige said...

Oh my goodness, I just found your blog and I am now complete. I look forward to your tutelage and the possibility of not looking frumpy before my time. Love your outfit posts, but the sexy fail post had me in tears. thanks.

John said...

nike roshe run women
michael kors outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
nike air max uk
michael kors bags
true religion
longchamp outlet
cheap oakleys
nike cortez
coach factory outlet
nike air max 90
puma shoes
kate spade outlet
nike trainers
michael kors outlet
ghd flat iron
michael kors outlet online
ralph lauren
yeezy boost 350
michael kors outlet
burberry outlet
converse
true religion jeans
sac longchamp pliage
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas gazelle
louis vuitton outlet online
cheap jordans
burberry outlet online
adidas shoes uk
reebok outlet
coach factory outlet online
hollister sale
jimmy choo outlet
2016426

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.