TOMS: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On my birthday this year I finally took the plunge and bought my first pair of TOMS. I had hummed and hawed over it for the longest time. The pair I wanted were a special edition plum glitter that retailed for about $90, so they were more of an investment than I usually make in casual shoes. Still, every time I passed by them I thought of all the ways I could wear them. Finally, I had my family members donate to the "Buy Jae some TOMS" fund for my birthday gifts and my TOMS were purchased. I'm super happy with them. Not only are they ridiculously comfortable, but the sequins make them a little different. Happiness.

Still, I know that TOMS are kind of polarizing. I will admit that they're pretty darn ugly. But that's pretty much the point. They're supposed to look organic and homemade and not like the usual five inch pumps I usually traipse around in. My husband hates them and can't believe I spent so much. But at the mall yesterday no less that four people stopped me to say they liked my shoes. So I know that you either love them or you hate them.

But they CAN look super cute and casual with different outfits. I've been experimenting with mind and have come up with a few ways to wear TOMS without looking like a complete hispter wannabe.

toms1

Rue21 woven shirt, $20
Pleated skirt, $24
Toms shoes, $54
Antique sunglasses, $35
Dorothy Perkins wrap bracelet, £13
Dorothy Perkins red belt, £5


I love to wear mine with a skirt. My little family went over to the local farmer's market last weekend to buy raspberries and this amazing cream syrup and I was super cool and comfy in my skirt and TOMS. They're awesome from making a skirt look less churchy. Also, start loading up on plaid this fall because it's gonna be big. I love the idea with plaid and a girly skirt.

toms2

Floral shirt, £24
Old Navy denim short shorts, $13
TOMS white shoes, $44
Metal Mulisha polka dot bag, $35
Mimco tahitian pearl earrings, £30


I also wear my TOMS with my bermuda shorts. Actually, I did that yesterday. It's a nice change from flip flops without being as dressy as flats. Yesterday I just did a floral tank with a boyfriend cardigan and called it a day. It was super easy and I felt like I totally blended in with the tortured teenagers shopping at Hot Topic at the mall. Just kidding.

toms3


H m cardigan, £4.99
TopShop stripe shirt, $24
Almost famous jeans, $35
Toms shoes, $44
Vintage handbag, $50
Coral jewelry, 17 AUD
1928 jewelry, $20


I've also worn my TOMS with jeans and was really happy at how casual and easy it looked. I love the idea of wearing them with bootcuts or flares and just have a little of the sequins poke out, but a more subdued pair is every bit as cute for a nautical-inspired outfit like this one. What a perfect outfit for fall shopping, lunch with friends or just generally not looking like a hobo when your husband comes home from work? This would be so cute with a patterned scarf too!

So, what do you think? Do you love TOMS or do you hate them? Remember that every time you buy a pair, they donate a pair to a child in need, which is how I reconciled the $90 price tag when I bought them. They also have super cute wedges and other types of shoes, but I think starting out with a classic TOMS is the way to go. I have my eye on their vegan wrap boots... Christmas?

I call for a vote! Let's see if there are more lovers than haters! Comment away!

28 comments:

heather said...

When I first saw a pair a few months back, I thought they were hideous & very teeny bopper looking....honestly I haven't seen anyone over the age of 20 wear them! But now that you've shown how to wear them, I being in my 30s, wouldn't be embarrassed to wear them! Sequins, no, but navy or black, yes! :)

Jenna said...

Those are some cool shoes. I still haven't purchased any. Can't justify the price. But I hear Payless has a convincing knock-off!

IandS said...

Love, love, love. I have a pair of Roxy shoes that are a similar feel to Toms that I wear all the time. I may have to invest in a pair of Toms just to give them a little rest :)

Nicola said...

I love mine. Super comfortable and they look lovely with my maternity wear and boyfriend cardigan!

Tai said...

HATE. These are not cute Jae. I'm really sorry to have to say it, but they are NOT. CUTE!!

It's a slippery slope towards Crocs.

*shudder*

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh I'm so sorry but I have to join Tai in the hater club! I just cringe when I see people in Tom's, even when I see how the rest of the outfit it super cute and I can see how it's *supposed* to be working. Maybe it's because I feel like a lot of people who wear them are just trying so hard because they're so trendy. I just can't do it though, I don't think there's anything attractive about them whatsoever! Slippery slope Jae, slippery slope! lol

Beth said...

Love love love love!

I bought some gray ones that did not stretch like I was told they would, so my mom got those.

I bought the red ones and instead of going off what the salesperson told me I compared the sole to my foot and bought that size. They fit perfectly.

I wore mine all over Europe and most days since they are so comfy for this fat preggo!

No Guilt Fashion said...

Hahaha...I'm wearing my glittery black Toms as I type. So comfy for my pregnant feet.

Anonymous said...

I love Toms and I don't even have a pair yet.

Emily said...

poxicrThey have more styles than the classic! I don't own any, but my husband has told me that he is getting me a pair of the wedges for my b-day...come on big 3-0.

You don't have to like them, but they as a company do a lot of good.

And, they are MUCH better than flip flops. Especially the platform ones and the ones with the interchangeable sequin straps.

I'd rather wear tissue boxes on my feet than those God-awful boutique nightmares.

Sara said...

I have the light pink sequin TOMS... I love them! And it's a great cause.

Jae said...

Omg Emily yes! Lol I knew that lots of people would hate this post but I love me some TOMS and I don't care who knows it! Plus I get flip flopped out in the summer. They are most certainly an acquired taste, like leggings and oysters. I love their wedges too! They are on the list of shoes I want.

Morgan Hagey said...

Obviously, I love Tom's. They are my kind of shoe! Their business practices are fantastic. They aren't even *that* ugly. Just different. I love. I need to buy like three pair. PLUS they have kids' shoes. I die.

Jessica said...

These remind me of Sanuk's sidewalk surfers, which I have been wearing for years as slippers. Not that I wouldn't wear them as shoes, but they are pricy here in Canada so I can only justify one pair at a time. They are the most comfortable footwear ever. I think the Sanuk's are cuter than the Toms, but I don't know if they would go with a skirt.

Jae said...

I knew Morgs would have my back! lol
Jessica - Yeah, I know what you're talking about and they would be tricky with skirts... you could totally pull them off with jeans if you were so inclined though!

Beth, mine stretched a teeny bit but nowhere near what I thought they would. I Bought my regular size and called it good.

poster prints said...

Wow. These are great sets! I don't know which one would really fit into my taste. They are so nice! Well, the shoes on the first photo looks nice.

Anonymous said...

I love TOMS. I have 7 pairs, and wear them almost every day. They go with everything, and are for a great cause. What's NOT to love about them!!!

Jennifer Wells said...

Toms are way out of my price range, so I don't think I'll ever buy them, but hey--I'm all for purchasing shoes that also contribute to a good cause while making dresses look less churchy.

Yay, Toms!

Anonymous said...

FUGLY!

Jae said...

Please. As if anonymous comments even count.

ejaznims said...

Jogy Nolan

asbarali1@gmail.com

http://fash55.com/c/jeans

Nearly all of the things you point out happens to be astonishingly precise and it makes me ponder the reason why I had not looked at this in this light before. This piece really did turn the light on for me as far as this particular topic goes. But there is one particular factor I am not necessarily too cozy with and while I attempt to reconcile that with the actual main theme of your issue, allow me observe just what the rest of the subscribers have to say,Very well done.

jules said...

Hey Jae,

I have to say I am NOT a huge fan of Tom's BUT I think if people are going to wear them or a copy of them they need to go with the original because of what they stand for. It makes me a little angry and sad when you see other companies making them and people wearing the fake version because you know they are buying them for the fashion and not to help people.

If you are going to buy them I say go for it but make sure its the real McCoy because you are helping someone who can't afford shoes!!

-julie- btw you know who I am AND I'm a huge fan!!!

Jae said...

Julie, I TOTALLY agree! I've seen a few different knockoffs and me and my husband were just talking about it. I know they're pricey but if you're going to wear them buying the original is the best thing. Otherwise you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling!

aly said...

I love them, but word to the wise... I learned the hard way. Do NOT wear them in the rain! The soles are super slippery. I know, as I ended up in the doctor's office earlier today.:(

fashioninfor said...

I would just love to see your collection of shoes. It must be the most amazing, colorful collection! Love this look!

Anonymous said...

Toms are the best most comfy shoes! I do hair and my feet never hurt no matter how long I'm stuck behind the chair. But you guys know they have lots of different styles of shoes right. They have adorb wedges and ballet flats and I'm in love with the wrap boots. Plus no matter the price the cause is amazing and they've done shoe drops all around the world. They don't forget the people at home either and have done shoe drops in the U.S. too. Love the shoes (I literally wear them with everything) and the cause.

renee said...

OK...I have just stumbled onto this post somehow when I was doing a google search for how to wear TOMS! LOL! I just got my first pair too but I love them....and I am 40!!!!! I know....gasp...right....but I think if worn the right way I won't look too much like a young person wannabe! LOL! P.S. They are soooo comfy!

renee said...

OK...I have just stumbled onto this post somehow when I was doing a google search for how to wear TOMS! LOL! I just got my first pair too but I love them....and I am 40!!!!! I know....gasp...right....but I think if worn the right way I won't look too much like a young person wannabe! LOL! P.S. They are soooo comfy!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.