Frump-Free Swimwear Coverups

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My kids and I spend roughly a quarter of the summer at various water-related activities around the state. There's nothing quite like the tiring-out that happens when my kids are playing in the water and I'm working on my tan. Two hours at the pool equals naps for everyone when we get home, so I try and get out to a pool, lake, splash pad or otherwise whenever we can. Since I live kind of out in the middle of nowhere, heading out to go swimming for the day usually also includes a stop at the store for snacks, stopping at the bank for cash and then grabbing milk on the way home. While I'd just love to wander into local places of business wearing my swimsuit, I have a feeling they don't approve, so I'm always looking for various cute coverups that I can wear while running errands and whatnot.

Think about the typical swimsuit coverup. Did you shudder? I did. I'm talking about oversized t-shirts, people! They are the bane of my existence. Your husband's shirt does not a coverup make! Sure, it conceals your shoulders and half your bum, but it also makes you shaped like a droopy construction worker. You can do better than that! The best thing about wearing a super cute coverup is that it makes you feel cute and attractive so you can get up the nerve to disrobe when you read your watery destination. Plus there's no awkward moment where you have to pull your husband's XXXXL shirt over your head. That's always weird.

coverup1

Hive Honey tiered skirt, $43
Talbots one piece halter bathing suit, $20
BP. bow sandals, $50
Roxy tote handbag, $40
G by Guess square sunglasses, $29


Can I interest you in a maxi skirt? I wear my maxi skirt as a swimwear coverup because it already looks beachy and it's just easy. Most of the time I wear mine with a tankini and it just looks like a tank top and skirt and I don't feel ashamed in the gas station. I especially recommend a maxi skirt with an elastic waist that you can fold or adjust so the skirt is at whatever length you like. Then you can sweep into the pool and all of the other moms will be jealous because they didn't think to wear their maxi skirts.

coverup2

Rue21 woven top, $20
Metal Mulisha stripe swimwear, $42
Fox halter bathing suit, $38
Wet Seal flower print shoes, $17
Roxy tote hand bag, $30
Plastic shades, $9.99


Lately I've worn a simple button up shirt as a coverup and I'm kind of obsessed. I usually do it when I'm wearing a two-piece and I want a little modesty for grabbing snacks but aren't really planning on grocery shopping in it. My favorite is that I already have like 10 shirts in my closet that I can work with so it's no biggie to just grab one out on my way. Most button ups (or do you call them button downs? I never know) are made with super light fabric so it's not too hot. I just button a few of the bottom ones to let my cute swimsuit peek through, slip on my sunnies and go work on a tan.

coverup3

Embroidery dress, $45
Mix Match tankini bikini, $44
ALDO tote hand bag, $21
ASOS gold shades, $21
Papaya Clothing Online :: LEATHERETTE STRAPPY WEDGES, $24


Ah, the sundress. How I love a sundress as a coverup. So much cuter than an oversized souvenir t-shirt and you can even run errands after while still looking respectable. I don't worry too much about my swimsuit ties or anything sticking out. Just work with it. Look for a light dress that covers the necessities and is above all, comfy. I wear my sundress when I've got stuff to do after the pool and can get in and out of the grocery store without flashing anyone. Although, one time I wore a sundress grocery shopping after swimming and I totally forgot that I had been wakeboarding the weekend before and I had a HUGE bruise on the back of my thigh, totally exposed to everyone. Seriously, it was the size of a plate. I looked like a battered woman. Anyway, the sundress looks totally cute with a pair of wedges, too. I just love wedges.

As for accessories, I stick with a tote and sunglasses because anything else is pretty excessive. I'm paranoid about losing jewelry in the water so I go earring, ring, necklace-free.

Of course, that always leads my husband to wonder if I'm trying to pick up guys at the lake sans wedding ring. Yeah, because nothing says "I'm available" like two small children and a flotilla of beach toys. Rawr.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the maxi skirt idea, never thought of that for a cover-up!

Maggie said...

I just found your blog. I love it. After I read some of your posts, I got brave and bought myself some wedge heels. The only thing worse than dressing like a mom is dressing like one when you're NOT EVEN A MOM YET.

Jae said...

Maggie, I actually just laughed out loud. Hilariousness!!

Queen Mommy said...

Today was the perfect day for this post. I took the girls to the lake for the first time this summer (between vacations, sicknesses, and general busy-ness). Anyway, I went with a skirt (knee-length) with my tankini. Thanks again!

Jennifer Wells said...

Yes, I would also like to add my thanks.

I entered a Polyvore contest awhile back, and one of the sets I created was called, "Don't Believe the Lie!" and it was an outfit that was totally functional but attractive: an empire-waist, cotton camisole in bright blue, with flared jeans and yellow wedges.

Then I quoted you with, "As Jae would say, 'Like your kid wants to look at his dumpy mom all day.'"

Jae said...

Nora! That's awesome! I want a link to the set!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.