Eat These Foods and Drop Pounds

Monday, April 4, 2011

It's no secret that I say 80% of how you look and feel is based on what you eat, so that's why I'm going to give you some of the best foods you should eat and make a regular part of your diet. They will give you energy and they will help you shed those unwanted stubborn pounds that seem to linger around your butt and stomach--augh!!

Instead of spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on crazy diets you are better to simply pick up better foods that will give you the body that will cause envy.

Oils.

People always ask me what oil is best. The only one I keep stocked in my house is olive oil. I use it for everything. I cook with it (I know some oils lose nutrition value when heated, but I still only stock olive oil), I use it in protein shakes and even for salads. It plays an important role in the digestion and absorption of nutrients. I always choose extra virgin olive oil, which is packed with antioxidants and the good fatty acids that we need.

Eggs

Protein is not the only great thing eggs can offer us. They have an anti-inflammatory effect, plus eating the yolk which contains vitamin D can have a positive effect on strength and performance. I would strongly recommend buying a free range egg. I don't eat anything but and you will literally see the difference. Free range eggs have thicker shells and a brighter yolk. They may be a little more money but definitely worth it. Try farmers markets, I always get great deals there.

Leafy Greens

I have to admit, these are not the biggest hit amongst my kids but I never stop trying. Things like spinach, romaine and even spring mixes will give you the biggest nutritional value for your buck, and butt:)


Beans

Not a favourite among many but they are packed with nutrients and antioxidants, they have cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber, protein, b vitamins and complex carbs. Did you know that one cup delivers the same amount of protein in lean beef for a fraction of the cost??

Lean Beef

I know you've heard to stay away from red meat, it causes high cholesterol and too fatty. Reasons for not skipping an eye of round or top sirloin: it is high in leucine which is a powerful amino acid that stimulates protein synthesis and muscle growth. It also contains ion and zinc. You need iron for oxygenating your muscles and you need zinc to support immune function and to recover, repair and grow after you exercise.
(Nutritionist Keidi Skolnik)

Did you know that beef is a thermogenic? That means your body has to work harder to digest it so you will burn more calories by eating it.

Now I have to admit that I only eat free range meat. For me I don't like the idea of extra hormones as well as I like my protein to walk and graze in the open.

Nuts

These tiny things have sometimes received a bad rap based on their fat content. But I can't tell you how great they can make you feel. They are perfect for protein and fat content and give you the perfect amount of energy. Nuts have a very low glycemic index and are loaded with antioxidants. Just be sure not to eat the entire container. Although they are tiny, they will go along way... stick to about 10-15 of the little guys or you could dramatically increase your calories.

Oh, be sure to avoid the salted, flavoured kind. Remember plain is best:)

The following is a sample of what you should be eating:

Breakfast: 1 cup cooked oatmeal, with dash of cinnamon and raisins or cranberries. I pear and 4 pecan halves.

snack: 1 apple with low fat cheese string

Lunch: Green leafy salad with vinaigrette dressing. 4 oz of skinless chicken breast

snack: 1 cup grapes with 10 almonds

Dinner: 4 oz of top sirloin steak, 1/2 cup cooked brown rice with sauteed veggies in 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Committed to your fitness success,

Kelly Parker
www.fitmommakeover.net

3 comments:

Marisa said...

Hi Kelly, I enjoy your fitness & nutrition posts and I usually agree with you, but this I'd like to respectfully disagree with you on two points:

First, I think there are some good reasons to keep oils other than EVOO - flavor (like walnut or sesame) for homemade salad dressings and sauces without all the junk in store-bought ones, and smoke point, so you can heat it up really hot to stir-fry vegetables to crisp-tender... I just hate how olive oil makes such a smoky mess!

Second, I think people who are not salt-sensitive should not worry about using salt to make foods (such as nuts and red meat, which are SO much better with salt) more tasty when they're trying to eat healthy - just drink a ton of water! Salt can be a great ally when you're trying to eliminate the calories that come from other flavor-enhancers, like sugar and fat.

Couldn't help sharing my 2 cents and I'd love to hear what you think of it! :)

Anonymous said...

keep posting like this it’s really very good idea, you are awesome!

cheap clomid

Kelly Parker said...

Hey Marisa,

When I made the comments on extra virgin olive oil, that's just what I use, that doesn't mean there aren't other good oils to use, it's just my personal preference.

As for the salt, I truly believe that we as a population consume too much salt. Using a pinch to flavour your food while cooking is one thing, eating salted nuts (I think, while they may taste better is another).

Salt is actually good for us and we need it. It is actually a natural antihistamine, can aid in the prevention of muscle cramps, aids in proper cell function and many other body functions but the problem is the kind of salt most people consume. Most consume refined white table salt, which is linked to a whole lot of problems ( I should do an article on it later). Your best choice when consuming salt is sea salt, there are many other minerals and nutrients that are beneficial to your body. Just a note when switching over to sea salt. It has a much stronger flavour. My husband still uses too much, you actually need to use very little.

I hope this clarifies some of my comments

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.