What to Wear: While Traveling

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I received an interesting question over on my fan page on "The Facebook" as my dad calls it. Someone asked about what to wear while traveling. I'm going with airline traveling here because I recently went on a four-day road trip because my husband and I purchased a boat from a nice old man in San Diego. I wore the same shorts the entire time. That's how much I care about what you wear when on a road trip.

But air travel, that's a whole 'nother story. If you know anything about me, or you follow my self-absorbed facebook postings, you know that I live roughly 2,500 miles from my family. I grew up in Toronto, Canada and currently reside in Utah. (Yeah, you can thank my husband for that one.) Because of this, I end up traveling. A LOT. I try to get back home at the very least twice a year, and I've been able to do some traveling sans children as well. But most of the time I've got the kidlets with me, juggling their gear while still trying to look composed.

I put a lot of thought into what I wear when we travel, for a couple of reasons. The first will sound deplorably shallow, but I truly believe that I am treated better by airline employees and immigration officers when I look nice. When I shlump around the airport in a hoodie and sweats, people mistake me for a teenage mom and give me the stinkeye. When I look like a respectable human being, I get bumped to first class and fly through customs. NO JOKE. Actually, I think that the two times I was bumped to first class had more to do with my charming four year old, but she was dressed pretty snappily too. The other reason I put thought into my clothes is that I'm looking for two things: comfort and speed. There is nothing worse than having to take off your belt in customs while some scary Helga-lady pats you down, am I right. Then, I get on the plane and for some reason my body can't regulate it's temperature and I go from hot to cold in a matter of seconds. SECONDS.

So, instead of doing the velour tracksuit thing, which by the way is not okay unless you're a septuagenarian from Jersey, try a few outfit ideas for function and comfort, while still looking hot.


travel1

dELiAs > Skylar Knit Sweater Dress > dresses > casual, $45
Rhinestone Trim Open-Toe Flats, $35
Macy's | Juniors Crossbody Handbags, Juniors Crossbody Bags, Juniors..., $48
ASOS Sequin and Crystal Embellished Satin Cuff, $20
Solid Pashmina, $18

I know that some of you who are old school will balk at the idea of wearing a dress while flying, but in the summer months, I SO love it. First, there's no belt. Nothing to set off the metal detector. It's on piece, and as long as you choose a smart fabric like a knit, doesn't look as wrinkly and sodden on the other side. I like the idea of something knee length with a scarf in case the a/c is too high. A flat is ideal, along with jewelry that is easy on and easy off. Finally, choose a bag big enough to double as a diaper bag when traveling with kids, or risk getting eye daggers from people like me who get annoyed with people who bring MORE than their allowed allotted amount o carry ons. Seriously. So annoying.


travel2Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore

Winged Capsleeve Cardigan, $24
Old Navy Womens Twist-Neck Racerback Tanks, $5
Double Button Bootcut Jean - Women's Clothing and Apparel - Chic..., $10
Gap Knee-high suede boot, $50
Worn Large Leatherette Tote, $33
RJ Graziano Long Beaded Layer Necklace, $34

This is literally an exact replica of what I wore flying home in May. I love to wear my Frye's when I travel because they are super soft, worn in and come off super easily for security. My drape cardigan saved my butt when it would get suddenly cold and suddenly hot. I just wrapped the extra fabric around me. It also served as a blanket for my one year old lap child. I don't suggest wearing white while traveling unless you have something to wear over it. You will spill something and look like a dork wandering around the airport terminal.


travel3Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore


I LOVE the idea of wearing hyper comfy shoes and socks on your flight. Taking off your shoes and padding through security barefoot is admittedly gross, so I lean towards shoes I can wear socks with for both me and my kids. Old Navy flip flops are for the beach, not for traveling. If you've ever been through either of the Chicago airports, or through Atlanta or Toronto, you know that the terminals are MASSIVE and require a lot of walking. Adidas Superstars are a staple shoe in my wardrobe, I have them in pink, yellow and blue. I KNOW. How cute is it done with a denim skirt (choose blue if you're klutzy or carry a Tide pen!) and a plaid shirt. Totally breezy and cool while still being comfortable. Give the customs agent a little wink and you are through my friend.

travel 4Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore

Old Navy Womens Crochet-Hem V-Neck Tees, $9.50
Libertine Waistcoat, 22 GBP
Old Navy Womens The Dreamer Embroidered-Pocket Trouser Jeans, $35
Washed Small Cross Body Bag, $36
Lee Angel Biker chain necklace, $45
Michael Antonio Women's Piero Flat, $22

Another staple traveling outfit for me, I wore one like this when I jetted off to see my best friend in Western Canada for a few days. Instead of a sweatsuit, opt for an uber-comfy pair of wide leg jeans. I totally live in mine. To make sure your jeans look polished instead of sloppy, a cute topper like a vest or jacket gives the look structure without reducing comfort. In my experience, the security people don't make you take off superficial vests and jackets, just big, puffy, dangerous looking ones. Another big bag and some bright shoes finish an otherwise bland looking outfit. Also, I always travel with a chain and pendant with my stillborn son's footprints on it. If you want to wear jewelry, just choose something without clasps that you can pull off and put back on quickly so you're not holding up the security line. Although I find that a few properly placed "sorry" smiles get me a lot of assistance from the cranky business man directly behind me as I juggle my two kids, the stroller, three pairs of shoes and a laptop from the security line.

Another good tip for traveling? I start with super minimal makeup and carry my bare necessities with me; we're talking bronzer, eyeliner and mascara. I then freshen up when the pilot calls for descent so when I arrive at my destination without looking haggard and as if I made the journey via old timey steamship. I also ALWAYS start with my hair dried and down. That way, if it does get in the way, I can pull it into a ponytail without it looking messy, greasy or tired.

Of course, there was one time I flew home at Christmas, was detained in immigration and the airline lost my luggage. Looking good while flying won't make it problem-free, but at least you won't have to avoid yourself in the airport bathroom mirrors.

8 comments:

T said...

Totally agree about the dress - I wear them to fly all the time. And I make sure my scarf is large enough to cover my legs in case I get cold during the flight. But yeah, dress is best choice as far as I am concerend.

rachel said...

love those pink flats, and dresses definitely don't get enough credit. SO EASY to wear!

I lost my`baby girl and wear her name on my necklace everyday, but I'm intrigued by the footprints...where'd you find something like that?

Arienette said...

Nothing I ever do is going to stop me looking like a teenage mom, but I do agree that looking respectable-ish while flying? ALWAYS a good idea, especially when you have kids with you. We flew to Australia for a month when Bug was 9wks old. Yes. Yes we DID do 30hrs of travelling with a 9wk old baby. It was AWESOME. Not.
When I fly to Australia, since we pass from England where it is cold, to Singapore where it is BOILING and humid, to Australia where it is hot but drier, I always end up packing more than one outfit. Jeans to and around the airport in the UK, pajama bottoms for on the planes overnight, and shorts for singapore and arriving in Australia. A thin cardigan and a change of top (or two) should be enough but I almost always end up packing loads more. I'm a chronic over-packer. I can't remember what shoes I wore, though. I do know I wore flip-flops alot though. Mea culpa! It was very hot and I can't stand my feet sweating.

My only real regret for flying with a baby was that I overpacked massively for her. She didnt need six changes of clothes in my carry-on, five toys, 10 burp cloths (yes, really) four blankets and god knows what else. I wish I could go back, get rid of almost everything, and just trust that if I needed more stuff, I could have bought it in the airports.

Jae said...

YES! The child overpacking is the worse. I've learned my lesson now, but the first time I flew with child I seriously might have just as well brought her entire nursery, including crib and mobile.

Rachel, I got the pendant here: http://www.georgiaengraving.com/
I just sent in a scan of the footprint and they engraved it on the pendant along with his name and birthdate. I love love love it.

Shari said...

Okay I went to ON to look for those trouser jeans but noooOOOOoo they only had the bootcut, which seriously over-accentuate my big ol' birthing hips. Boo.

But on the positive side, I left with a cute dress. :D

HollyElise said...

This is funny - I seriously was thinking about "what to wear on the plane when dH and I go to NYC in August" before I went to sleep last night!
Awesome timing, Jae! :)

Jennifer said...

Love to travel with a scarf! Perfect to wrap around your shoulders when it gets drafty on the plane, roll it long ways and make a headband, wrap around your neck for 'insta-chic' like you say! Great post!

enterrement de vie de jeune fille Paris said...

Lovely, I like the pink outfit.
Lilou

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.