Pretty Vintage

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I spent part of my birthday blissfully alone, thanks to a good friend who not only brought me a cake, but whisked away my daughter for the afternoon as well (She's a keeper!) I used the time to run into town (yes, I live in a place where I have to drive to get to civilization) and look for an anniversary present for my husband. ONce I'd gotten one, I had some time to kill so I did something that I've always wanted to do... go in a thrift store.

If you look in my side bar, you'll see links to other blogs by girls who ALL thrift shop. They find amazing little gems and I get jealous. And my friend Charity, who writes THIS gorgeous blog totally finds and fixes up amazing thrift store items. So, I've slowly been goaded into trying it out and figured it was as good a time as any.

The store I went into was TERRIFYING. Call me naive in the world of thrifting, but I didn't realize your had to do so much... well, searching. I was the only person in the store, and since I'm so non-confrontational, I decided that I would have to buy something to avoid the awkwardness if I left emptyhanded. So I scrounged up a book and a pair of shoes (that were actually pretty cute) and went to the cash register. By this time, someone else had come in and she was paying for something. I could hear the employee ring up her total and then start in about making a donation to a raffle for her sister who has cancer and the winner gets a Michael Jackson record player. I was like "Oh, here we go... she's totally going to hit me up and I don't WANT a Michael Jackson record player. I don't even want this stuff in my hands. Pleasedontaskmepleasedontaskmepleasedontaskme."

"HI!" She says.
"Hello" I say.
"Ooh, look at this book you have. Do you know how much it is?"
I point to the back of the store where the book prices are clearly marked. "Um, that sign says it's a dollar."
"Oh, I knew how much it was, I just wanted to make sure you knew you got a good deal. OH! And look at these shoes! They're just your size!"
(I should take a moment to point out that it annoys me when employees try to sell you on items you're already buying. Yeah, that's why they are on the counter. Let's move it along.)
"Also, would you like to enter this raffle? It's for my SISTER who has CANCER and she's starting RADIATION next week."
"Yeah, can I just donate money? I don't really need to enter a raffle?"
"Oh? But it's for a MICHAEL JACKSON RECORD PLAYER! It's probably worth $300. You just write your name and number on this paper and we'll enter you."
"Oh, I really don't want to enter the raffle." I survey the entry box, which has two other names. "I'll just give you some money to set aside."
"Okay, can you just write your name and number so we know who gave the donation?"
"Yes, fine." I write my name and number and she slyly drops it into the entry box. "THERE! Now you could also win the MICHAEL JACKSON RECORD PLAYER! Thanks for the entry!"
"But I didn't want-- you know what? You're welcome."

I'm terrified to this day that I'm going to get the phone call informing me of my winnings and I will have no place to put a Michael Jackson record player.

So my first time thrifting was awkward at best. I have my eye on another store that I want to try, but in the meantime, I'll stick to clothes that look vintage without the scary thrift-store employees.

vintage1

Soul Cal Boyfriend Stripe Cardigan, 20 GBP
Cotton-jersey tank, $18
SO Denim Bermuda Shorts, $28
Forever21.com - Shoes - Casual - 2073644433, $20
Red By Marc Ecko Greatest Hits Baguette Bag, $20
Great Horned Necklace, $20

Nautical stuff looks inherently vintage, and you all know about my love for navy and red together. It makes me feel happy inside. I love Bermuda shorts with a pushed-up sleeve, it looks so easy and old fashioned, like a more feminine JFK in the 60s or something. The boat shoes in a bright color make this outfit more modern, and I hope that bag enjoys being purchased by me because I LOVE IT. And it's $20. And has street cred.


vintage2


Multi floral gypsy dress, 32 GBP
Miss Me Women's London-2 Platform Pump, $50
Mirror Mirror Grape Purse, $38
Teal Flower Petal Cuff
Betsey Johnson - Under The Sea - Shell Drop Earrings (Pearl) - Jewelry, $46
Jessica Simpson - 23100284 (Pale Gold) - Accessories, $40

I LOVE this 70s print in a sleeker cut. To wear vintage clothes, you don't need to look like you stumbled out of a Halloween shop. The cut of the dress makes the very busy print much less costume-y. Pair it with straight-laced, neutral accessories and you have a covet-worth vintage outfit without the Michael Jackson record player pressure.



vintage3



BE STILL MY HEART! I love polka does. Like, love. Like leather jackets, they are a weakness for me. Ooh, I need a polka dot leather jacket! Anyway, I love how adorable and 50s housewife this outfit is. The fullness of the skirt paired with a feminine tops just about makes me want to cook dinner for my husband. Almost. He's on his own tonight. With simple, graphic patterns, I think it's cute to use accessories with the same type, like that bracelet. You could get away with doing the same type of accessories with a stripe on stripe style too.

vintage4


Flash Distressed Logo Raglan Red Juniors Tee Shirt - TeesForAll.com, $20
Crinkle Design Flare Cut Cotton Jeans - Juniors Clothing > Bottoms &..., $17
Sanuk Stardust Loafer, $48
Mossimo Supply Co. Cargo Crossbody Tote - Brown : Target, $25
Tocs Women's 40211 Analog Oblong Sunshine Yellow Watch, $50

I really feel the urge to own this outfit. I love love love vintage-looking graphic tees. I have a Beatles one that I totally dropped bleach all over and love it even more. And I'm very happy to say that a bigger flare in jeans is coming back in the fall, which is good news for people like me, who never quite got over it. I HAVE A BIG BUTT OKAY? I need some balance. These jeans are perfect. This outfit is so weekend adorable and it makes me want to go watch a hockey game with my friends eating chicken wings in the pub. Yeah, that's the Canadian in me showing through.

I promise I Won't give up so easily on the thrift shopping. I purchase almost all of my books used because I love the idea that someone else read them first. Why shouldn't that apply to really cute clothes? I just need to find some of those amazing deals with less annoying salespeople. Charity found a $2 Guess jacket. I just spent $70 on one. She wins.

8 comments:

Charity said...

Thanks for the linky love! I wish I could have gone to that thrift store with you, I am SURE I would have found something you would have loved!! (or at least fix up and love!)

Shop Girl* said...

As if you wrote about this this week... I JUST posted about how I've decided to try thrift shopping as well. haha! Do you read Kyla Roma's blog? I see her outfits and a lot of it is thrift and I am SO JEALOUS.

I tried Value Village last week and found Nine West pumps for 10 dollars. They practically jumped off the shelf into my arms. Life = complete. haha

Unknown said...

Thrift store shopping can be so much fun! (Minus the crazy salespeople...)

You have to check out this website too: http://newdressaday.wordpress.com/

This woman is making one dress every day for an entire year! She does some serious thrift store shopping, then transforms items into some pretty awesome outfits! (I don't care for all of them, but she is amazing at what she does!)

Jae said...

Ahaha Heidi, we are shopping soul mates.

Marci, that is so cool! I love seeing what people are doing with their blogs. I WILL try thrift shopping again. Something tells me the selection is better in Toronto than Utah lol.

Jennifer Wells said...

Oh, I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with the sales person! They typically leave me alone....

Kara said...

I love the outfits you picked out... but shouldn't we not shop in the juniors section anymore? I saw on What Not To Wear that wearing juniors section clothes as an adult woman is a big no-no...

Jae said...

Kara: Meh, I don't let Stacy and Clinton pigeon-hole me too much. I find lots of great staples in typical Jrs section. I also have a small frame, so generally I get away with it. SHould you be wearing a shirt that says "I <3 my boyfriend"? Absolutely not. A cheapo pair of jeans or a cute cami? Totally fine.

Anonymous said...

Can I rain on the parade? The shirt with the lightning strike on it is too young for anyone over age 23.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.