Mama Fit Monday: Running With A Twist!

Monday, July 26, 2010

I just did a great workout on Saturday that I'd like to share. It was my regular 20 minute interval run (I've posted that earlier) with some twists. I didn't get a chance to do bootcamp on Sat. (I taught it vs. participating) so I was wanting to get in some squats and pushups, but I didn't want to give up my run.....so I improvised.

I combined them.

If you go to the post on the 20 Minute Interval Workout you will see the cardio workout I'm referring to. I warmed up for 2 minutes, then instead of increasing my speed right away, I stopped and did 10-15 jump squats on the curb. If you are just starting out then you can just step onto the curb, do a squat, then step off, if you've been doing this awhile, then jump on the curb, squat and then jump off.

I then continued with my next running minute which would be a level 6. I ran for 2 minutes then stopped and did some push ups. I did 15 of them on the grass wherever I was. I then continued for another 2 minutes keeping with the 20 minute schedule.

After the next 2 min. run I did lunges off the curb. Stand with both feet on the curb, then drop your right leg back off of it, bending your left leg at 90 degrees. Push all your weight through the left leg to get back up. Repeat 10 times and do the other leg. Continue running.

After your next 2 min. run stop and do more pushups.
Run 2 min.
Stop and do tricep dips on the curb..20 of them if you can
Run 2 min.
Stop and do squats Repeat this pattern for the duration of the 20 min interval run. On the last set before your sprint, do 5 reps of each of your exercises, then sprint for 1 min and cool down for your last min.

Not only did I get a great run in, I worked my upper and lower body at the same time. I loved it and felt it the next day. I will definitely do this again.

It may sound a little complicated but, give it a try, when you're doing it, it will all make sense.

Committed to your fitness success,
Kelly Parker
www.FitMomMakeover.net

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh wow, that is great.

I have been doing the 20 minute intervals for a few weeks now. I do them 3-4 times a week along with my 2 days of weights. I am looking and feeling much better!

Thanks for your posts.

Kelly Parker said...

Great to hear Beth! And glad to hear you do some resistance (weight) training too. I'll be sure to post a future article on weights and why women should embrace them to get that great figure they want. (hint: it won't make you look like a "man", but they'll definitely take notice!).

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.