Summer Swag on the Cheap

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

So I was just thinking about how much I am enjoying the summer this year. I usually am a die-hard winter girl. I love the cold, love the now, love everything about it.

Then I had kids.

And I got tired of hearing my daughter complain about being bored or my guilt setting in because she's watched four hours straight of Nick Jr. and I feel like I'm on acid because Yo Gabba Gabba is singing a song about biting friends, or not biting friends, as it were.

We've spent the last two weeks putting in your lawn and garden like REAL GROWN UPS and we've spent every day outside. I'm developing a lovely little tan that I've become quite vain about. I'm just waiting to get really burned so I'm put back in my place.

Anyhoo, summer fashion is so fleeting that you really shouldn't have to spend a lot of money on it. Instead, I like to buy a few cheapie accessory pieces to layer on my summer favorites to make them look new. Seriously. I've owned the same pair of shorts since 2006, and they are a little too big but every summer I drag them out of the closet and wear them to death.

Invest in a few really good summer pieces that won't go out of style. We're talking bermuda shorts, dresses and some really well-cut plain white tees. Everything else you can add to look like you're in the loop without spending a lot of coin.

(Sunglasses $13 found here)

You really need a solid pair of sunglasses. I tend to buy one nice designer pair and one crappy Wal-Mart pair that I don't care about losing. Right now I am rocking a pair of gold Timberland aviators that I love like I love my mother. I have larger features and a very heart-shaped face, so I tend to buy bigger glasses. Choose them according to your face shape, and TRY THEM ON. That's the best way to see whether or not they suit you.



(Wedges $30 found here)

Wedges definitely have become my new summer shoe. I bought a pair and have worn them religiously because I love how long and slender they make my legs look. Snakeskin is also a favorite for me too. The nice thing about wedges is that they don't sink into the grass, you can actually walk in them and they are casual enough to wear to the mall and easy to dress up with a skirt. Love them for life, I'll be sad when I have to put mine away.



(Scarf $8 found here)

A summer scarf is SO CRAZY FOOLPROOF and easy to wear. It takes two seconds and all of a sudden it's like oh, insta-hip. I now have like seven of them and I don't see stopping anytime soon. In the summer, I love to wear mine with a white tee, sunglasses and big hoop earrings (and PANTS, gosh don't be such a perv) Because they are made of lighter fabrics, you're not going to get hot and it adds nice dimension to an otherwise boring outfit. I think I just talked myself into wearing one today!


Coral cardi $20 found here)

When I was shopping over Memorial Day I could not get over how many stores had coral as part of their collections. It was everywhere. And in the process of the day, it grew on me and then became indispensable. I bought a sheer-striped cardigan from Banana Republic in this color and I've worn it a bazillion times since then. It's been so fun to find color combos. I've work it with crisp white, turquoise, gray, even an army green and it all looked amazing. Plus the color makes tan people look bronze and white people look fair and blushing. LOVE.


White bag $25 found here)

Yes! I love a white bag in the summer. Look for one that is big enough to hold at least some sunscreen and a good book, and check out the girly details. Handbags lately are all frills and bows and I love. Just a word of caution: I bought a white bag and wore it with dark jeans and the blue from jeans totally rubbed off on the bag and made me frown. Another tip though? Magic eraser takes off ANYTHING.

Summer shopping isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Besides, I spend all of my money on snow cones until September anyway. Look for cheapie, "now" pieces to update. Now with less guilt!

PS: Those of you who have followed and enjoy my brother's antics... here you go!

5 comments:

Shari said...

I always love everything you post... until you start talking about layers and scarves for summer. It's been 110 here and is only getting hotter, and the thought of putting another layer of clothes on suffocates me, even while I'm still in my tank and shorts pj's. I love dresses now (thanks to you!!) and am rocking those any time I can get away with it.
Any tips for those of us who end up dealing with 120+ temps in summer?

Oh.. and since your blow out post, I'm LOVING MY HAIR!!! <3

Arienette said...

I'm on a self-imposed clothing-buying ban for the rest of the year. Brave? Or crazy? Shoes are totally not included, by the way. I need a pair of wedges but last time I wore wedges the strap snapped as I was stepping onto a curb and I fudged up my ankle and my knee for like a year. I had a bruise the size of a plate. True story, I still lust after wedges constantly. I'm just always wary that they make me gargantuanly tall. A wedge smaller than 3inches isn't worth the leather it's made of, but being 5'10+ and rake-skinny is only attractive on supermodels. Not moms chasing crazy babies!

Kara said...

I agree with Shari. Arizona summers are in no way fleeting. It's hot from March until October, sometimes later. Scarves are definitely not the way to go here. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd get heat stroke if I wore a scarf. But I love your ideas about the sunglasses and white T's with Bermuda shorts. What are your thoughts on cute flip flops??

Lisa Jones said...

Love it! One of my favorite place to pick up things that are trendy for cheap is Dots. I love their website too because you can put outfits together. I live for bermuda shorts!

Ashhhh said...

Loved the bag... where can I get it? I could not find it on the website. Can you please help me.. my email is koolaashu@hotmail.com

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.