Freaky Friday: Wedding Edition

Friday, June 25, 2010

My SEVENTH anniversary is fast approaching in two weeks. I cannot believe I've been married that long. I keep telling my husband to brace himself, because a divorce is sure to follow. Seven year itch right?

Every so often I find myself thinking about the wedding. I think about the things that I would do differently now that I'm older and (hopefully) wiser. For instance, I wish I Would have scrapped the wedding reception altogether and gone somewhere warm with my family and a quickie ceremony. We had two receptions, one in Utah and one in Toronto and it was WAY too much. My mother and I wanted to kill each other, my husband and I wanted to kill each other, and I pretty much wanted to kill myself.

One thing I wouldn't change? My dress. I STILL love my dress. I remember buying it, thinking wait... am I going to look at pics ten years down the road and regret that my hair was too big or my dress was outdated? And no. While my wedding was in 2003, I'd probably pick the same. It was a very "Jae" dress. It was the quarter length sleeves. So me.

Here, look how pretty!


Right? I do wish I'd swapped the veil for just natural hair. I hate overdone wedding hair, it haunts my dreams. Mine was pretty simple, but if I were to do it again, I'd just leave it plain and call it good.

It made me wonder if any of the following brides would want to change things for their weddings. I mean, you do what you think you love at the time, and then something new comes out and you're like craaaaaaap I wanted that. Poor, conflicted brides and their poor, conflicted fashion.


Yeah, you'd better pray that your groom doesn't run in the other direction. I also feel like exposed tights are not church-appropriate, but hey, I could be wrong.


Non-white bridal dresses are totally acceptable not. Killing your toy poodle, dyeing him pink and wearing his pom-pom hat as a tail is never acceptable.


Miss Muffet got married? I didn't even get an invitation, y'all! RUDE.


Wow. Her future husband is in for a TREAT. Guess she's a virgin and doesn't quite know what to expect on the wedding night. Here's a hint: You don't *always* need boxing gloves.


LADY GAGA GOT MARRIED? I didn't even get THAT invitation either, y'all. I'm starting to think these fictional characters hate me. Wait, what's that you say? Lady Gaga isn't fictional? Oh. I thought I made her up.


This is so sweet and virginal, isn't it? What is the groom thinking as he watches her walk down the aisle? Better yet, what is his MOTHER thinking as she walks down the aisle??


I feel like weddings are an occasion where you should, at the very least, wear a shirt.

So, are there any things you would do different if you got married again? I figure with the seven year itch and all, I could be getting married again one of these days. Hopefully I'll remarry with one of the sexy hotnesses that were in last week's Freaky Friday.

Those were some fine, upstanding gentlemen.

15 comments:

T said...

Ha! Great post. I have been thinking about my wedding a lot lately too - we have our one year coming up and I was also invited to write a guest post about my wedding (it will hopefully be up tonight)

I actually had the opposite feeling about my dress - I bought it under distress and wasn't in love with it. It was nice enough, but I wish I let myself look longer and enjoy the process a bit more. I still torture myself with episodes of Say Yes To the Dress, much to my husbands delight as you can imagine. haha

Arienette said...

Elope. For SRS, yo. I would elope the shit out of the whole thing. We were 19 and 20 and we let everyone walk all over us and we had no money and my friends sucked at doing their friend-duties and I acually look back at my wedding day and cry. Sad tears, not omg-that-was-so-magical tears. The guy who was supposed to walk me down the aisle turned up half way through the ceremony. YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE THIS SHIT UP. Nothing about my wedding day was happy and wonderful, I didn't feel special, I felt stupid and angry and sad.

Thinking about this is making me angry and sad and stupid-feeling again. I have mass inger right now.

Kristen Day Smith said...

I loved my wedding! But it was also only 2 weeks ago. I love my dress and think that there is nothing else that I could find that would be more 'me' I searched everywhere and I didn't like any dress but the one that got.
What I would change from my wedding day, to remember to take the hair tie off my wrist and take my glasses off for the ceremony. I got so overwhelmed at the last 20 minutes before and forgot the things that I don't even pay attention to, glasses and hair ties.

Jae said...

I know, weddings are so overwhleming and crazy... Arienette, I was 19 at my wedding too and it was TOO YOUNG to plan a wedding lol. I knew nothing

Say Yes to the Dress is so torturous! I see stuff all the time that I want. Like, can I get married again so I can wear mermaid gown with a yellow sash? Please.

Kristen, I saw your wedding pics and freakin' loved your rain boots. LOVED. I like when people just do their own thing. Your other shoes were pretty too...but I liked the galoshes the best.

Anonymous said...

I had my 8 yr anniversary in April and I also can still say that I love my dress! The only thing I would change about the wedding were the dresses my bridesmaids wore......totally something a 23 yr old would pick and not what my current 31 yr old self would pick.

Anonymous said...

Y'all. Seriously. This guy at work showed me his wedding pictures (which was a surprise to begin with as we all thought he was gay) and his wife was basically wearing the last dress, the transparent lace bustier one. Every work event, she shows up looking like she's about to work the pole or the corner. We had a pizza night last week and she had on cut-off jean shorts with cheek hanging out and a super tight short T shirt. Fun times.

Arienette said...

High Five for my fellow teen bride! When people find out you got married at 19 do they also get really awkward and then ask if you were pregnant? That has to be my favourite thing ever. Or when people see me with the baby and then find out I'm married and assume we got married recently and they're all 'Hey, personally I wouldn't get maried just for the baby but if it makes you happy...' and I'm all like WE WERE ALREADY MARRIED, THANKS. ASSHAT.

Ok, so now there's some out-ger too.

Unknown said...

I, for one, am glad you had Toronto reception-quite enjoyed it!!

Jenna said...

Man, I was 18 and just wanted my mom to love me. So I did everything her way -- got a big ballgown dress, wore my hair up, had a veil, had my reception in a cultural hall, yadda yadda.

If I could do over, I'd wear a vintage-inspired tea-length dress with a cool hairpiece/headband. I also bought my dress under distress and I didn't love it, either. But it was pretty, I guess. Just not really "me."

Oh well! I did have a great photog and he made us look hawt. And I did NOT do bridesmaids and I don't regret that for a second.

Debbi said...

Only kind of funny, J, about the 7-year itch thing. Yah. See my life. ;)

Lucky enough for me, I *DID* get to redo my wedding, about 8 years later, only better.
Better dress (TIMES 100!!)
Better flowers (fake plastics vs. real, orange tropical and gerbers? yah)
Better spouse- YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! ;)
you can see it on FB.


You looked awesome at your wedding- I remember my little bro, Kev, showing me pictures from facebook or something. Maybe my older sis, Lola in T.O. showed me. I don't remember. No matter. You rocked.

Jae said...

Aw thanks Debbi! I did see some of your pics on Lola's page and I coveted your wedding shoes. COVETED.

Jenna, when Addison gets married I'm going to hand over the money and tell her to do whatever with it. Weddings are too traumatizing for mothers and daughters.

And Arienette, I STILL get the teen mom thing. It's highly insulting yet a little flattering at the same time.

Anon #1 that's the thing, right? Like I thought my wedding was great... when I was 19. Now I'm seven years older and I would do things differently.

Anon #2 she sounds like a CLASS act right there. Like, people. IT'S A WEDDING. Not the bar. Wear some respectable clothes.

Queen Mommy said...

I've been married 11 years as of last month, and I still wouldn't change my hair or my dress. My dress was very simple and elegant, totally "me." I wore my hair up. If I could do it again, I might choose a different veil or just wear a flower in my hair. If I were getting married again tomorrow, I'd want to have it on a beach somewhere (preferably tropical) with just close family and friends.

As for getting mistaken for a teen mother, that happens to me a-LOT, and I'm almost 35! I actually find it pretty humorous most of the time.

Arienette said...

Totally forgot to dd, in my blind rage of wedding-memories, that we are re-doing our wedding at some point. The first time round, we got married 4 months after my parents moved to Australia. This meant that they weren't there. Not being English originally, none of my extended family were there either (except for my AUNT OF AWESOME, who flew out just for my wedding. Because she is AWESOME) so 'my' side of the wedding was like, 6 people. Literally. It was heartbreaking.
ANYWAY, for our ten year anniversary, we'll be living in Australia by then, so we're having a second wedding, one my mother-in-law will not be involved in to mes up, and one where my family will actually be in attendance. I'm already planning things. I'm keeping my flowers the same (the bouquet was fake, because I'm cheap, but it's ok because no one knew until I smacked Mr A in the face with them while we were taking pictures.) and I'll probably try to have my hair kind of the same (it turned out 85% how I wanted it to, but a professional stylist would probably do a better job of achieving the look I wanted than I did on my own) but other than that it's going to be ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT AND AWESOME.

Yay for do-overs.

Amy S. said...

LOL! I just got back from living in the Middle East and people really do wear wedding dresses like the last two that you show. It's weird because people who wear those are usually covered down to their wrists and ankles on a normal day.

bequi said...

I would have bought my dress instead of borrowing it and I would have told my mother-in-law to keep her gross candles at home instead of decorating the buffet with dusty animal print candles.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.