Literally.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

If you know me in real life, you know that "literally" is probably one of my favorite words. So much do I love it, that my brothers made fun of me all Christmas break by saying "figuratively" after every made up sentence to combat my love for the word. As in:

Me: This snow is making blind.
Brother: Figuratively.
Me; K, YES I GET IT.

Anyhow, one big pet peeve of mine when it comes to fashion, is when a new trend is introduced. You love it. You want to be cool, right? So you go and purchase every piece of clothing that matches and wear them altogether like the runway exploded on you.

Very, very bad.

Trends should NOT be taken literally. Even when the models are dressed quasi-comically in a collection, that doesn't mean that's how you should wear it in real life. Most collections are completely exaggerated, and to make it work, you take one or two pieces instead of doing the whole shebang.

Here I'll look over the trends. SEE if you can spot the literal translation.

Just kidding, I'll totally tell because I like to hear myself talk. Er... type. Hopefully you'll note that the outfits to the left are the literal way of doing the trend, and the right is something that's a better choice.

Literally1Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore



Abandon Hitch Cardigan | Abandon Knitwear @ USC, 15 GBP
Ruffled Polka Dot Knit Top, $18
7580 Skinny Jean - American Eagle Outfitters, $30
AE Women's Artist Jeans (Bright Medium), $40
FRYE Women's Harness 12R Boot: Frye: Shoes, $168
Forever21.com - New Arrivals - 1062767024, $5.80

Okay, so you know I love a western trend like I love my mother. And the Fryes pictured are the ones I own AND THEY ARE ON SALE. Such a good investment if you have it. But I really dislike when people head out looking like actual cowboys when there isn't a horse nor cow in sight. At the most, pick two trendy items to wear together. Instead of the hat and the boots and the buckle, go for a worn boot and a plaid, non-cowboy shirt, or pair the belt with a cardigan. I like darker denim too, so it doesn't look so corn-pokey.

Literally2Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore


AE Women's Camp Shirt (White), $35
MIA Women's Cristina Wedge Sandal: Shoes, $49
Pocket-Front Shoulder Bag, $35
OMYGOD Swarovski Crystal Dog Tag Pendant, 17 GBP
Camo Cargo Short, $23
Gap French terry camo hat, $11

I love camo because it looks so masculine, but can be cut in feminine ways so there's an interesting juxtaposition of both. But wearing a lot of camo can look gross and boyish, OR super redneck. The best way to do camo is to pair it with something crisp and structured, like a really good button up... or button down? Tomato, Tomahto. Anyways, feminizing it with heels or wedges makes it a definitive fashion statement instead of looking like you borrowed your hubby's shorts. And finally, adding a punch of color to brighten up the neutrals will help with the blah feeling.

Literally3Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore



Smocked Waist Ruffle Top - Women's Clothing and Apparel - Chic..., $39
Heidi Panel Jacket, 110 AUD
Jesiré Bow Front Twill Skirt, Grey, 16, 75 GBP
Fuchsia Faux Suede Semi Pointy Studded Pump Heels clipped by salvsnena, $29
Amazon.com: SR SQUARED by Sondra Roberts Beach Day Button Clutch: bag..., $35
Sterling Silver Cubic Zirconia Interlocking Teardrop Post Earrings:..., $22
Fossil - Braided O Ring (Black) - Accessories, $44
VELVET BOW ANYWHERE CLIP, $40

So, I love bows. My husband and I once engaged in a heated discussion because I purchased leather hair bows and he wondered if they were for our daughter. Obviously he didn't GET my vision. But bows can be taken very literally and worn with a girly outfit, making it look twee and childish. When you wear something as feminine or girly as a bow, it helps to harden it with leather or a more rock and roll look. The gray skirt picture has a bow at the waist and could look totally ballerina, but when paired with a leather jacket and studded heels, it gets an instant update.

So, if you see something that you like in the shop window or on TV, remember not to take trends to literally. I mean, if the trend is "peasant", you don't ACTUALLY have to dress like a peasant. That would be weird and make people uncomfortable. Choose pieces here and there, and then BALANCE them with contrasting pieces to make a fashion-forward and non-crazyperson outfit.

3 comments:

0 said...

I love bows, but not like Emma Pillsbury loves bows.
Except, I kind of love them like that too. I wish I could pull off looking that awesomely strange and kitcshy. Unfortunately I will never pull off a canary yellow twinset and pussybow blouse ensemble with matching yellow shoes and hair band. I just don't have that much awesome in me. I'd look like a jaundiced mental patient.

Jae said...

Oh gosh, I secretly love everything Emma Pillsbury wears. It's like, grandma chic or something? I don't know. I'm afraid I'm not a gentle enough person to pull it off. On me it would just look ironic, and I'm not sure irony is a look I want to go for.

Kristin said...

Those pink shoes are only $29! Holy crap, must have!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.