Trend I Love: Peacock

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Story time!

So when my daughter was barely one year old and I was a new mom who did things like take my one year old on education field trips even though she was barely coherent most of the time, I took her to the zoo. Mostly she just sat in her stroller and gnawed on a chew toy, so my brother and I made our own fun by taking awful pictures the entire time.

This is my favorite. We went to go see the peacocks, and my brother questioned why it's feathers weren't showing. My mom replied that it was because he wasn't looking to mate.

I said, "Will this help?"



It didn't. I came to the OBVIOUS conclusion that the bird was gay or not into humans.

Either way, I couldn't be offended because I. LOVE. PEACOCK.

And I am so happy that it is in every store lately because I have my pick of clothing and accessories that are brightly colored and easy to wear. Peacock is especially sweet because it gives you a variety of colors to work with, meaning it's practically impossible to mess up.

Yesterday I was at the mall (I'm SO WEAK and broke my shopping diet. I promise it was mostly for kid's stuff, but the stores call to me!) and I bought the coolest pair of peacock earrings that I intend to wear daily. Peacock is made up of jewel tones, so it's easy to mix and match. The best part is that it's colorful enough that the rest of your outfit can be so-so and it still looks fashion forward.

I predict from my magical fashion ball that peacock will be around into the fall, so here's some ideas on how to wear it!

peacock1Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore



Items in this set:
Dresses - Peacock Tunic - AX Paris - Fashion Dresses | Black Dresses |..., 25 GBP
Cocoon Crochet Hacci Shrug, $20
American Eagle AE Women's Artist Jeans (Dark Indigo Wash), $30
Fab Point Toe Flat, $9.50
BILLABONG Skin Deep Handbag, $40

When wearing peacock in print form, it's pretty much all the interest that you need in an outfit. Look for a print that isn't overwhelming. See how this one doesn't cover the whole shirt? Masterful! I like jewel tones paired with gold, and the color anchors the outfit to stop it from pulling the train into crazy town. Then, pulling in other tones with the sweater and the shoes gives the outfit a little more depth and you are pulled together and ready to go!

peacock2Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore


Items in this set:
White half sleeve scoop top, 7 GBP
American Eagle AE Women's Slouchy Skinny Jeans (Deep Indigo), $45
Miss KK jewelry - Triple Peacock Feathers with Black Crystals Necklace, $82
ASOS | ASOS Ethnic Style Ring With Natural Stone at ASOS, $10
Frye Maxine Trapunto Harness at Zappos.com, $370

Alright, this is a typical "Jae" way to wear peacock. I tend to pair it with really plain jane outfits. This CRAZY AWESOME necklace is so unique and serious that it becomes more than an accessory... which is why something this substantial should only be worn with an otherwise plain outfit. Too much and you look like a zoo barfed on you. And that just doesn't even sound nice. A white shirt, jeans and boots are all that's left to pull it together.



Peacock3Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore


Items in this set:
Showdown Metallic Dress, $22
dELiAs > Elsa Lace Shirt Dress > dresses > casual, $36
Mia Fifi, $70
Fame Gold Sandals, $37
Quilted Bowler Bag, $35

Alright, if you like the colors of the peacock without actually wanting wear feathers and such (I don't know why you wouldn't want to wear feathers though. Come ON. THEY'RE FEATHERS!) You can use the color palette of the peacock feather as your inspiration. The trick to making this look on-purpose and not clownishly colorful is to anchor each outfit with a neutral, like tan, brown, black, even navy would work. It makes the palette a little more serious instead of looking like your two year old put it together.

And! If you want to *try* wearing peacock feathers but want to start small, I totally recommend a hair clip, hair band or smaller earrings to test it out. Then you can move on from there.


Other super cute peacock stuff:




Peacock4Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore

Items in this set:
Zad Metal Disk Peacock Necklace, $24
ASOS Handpainted Peacock Bangle, $14
Peacock Feather Earrings, $13
ASOS Printed Peacock Bangle, $7.10

Awesome, right? Okay... so go get some! Then you might turn on a peacock for realsies! Lucky.

6 comments:

Heather C. said...

Peacock is so hot right now! I love that shirt...

shazzer said...

hahaha gay peacocks...
not that there's anything wrong with that...

Katrina Wright said...

"you love feathers"- the hills... that is all I could think about while reading your post. ps i love peacocks too!

Jae said...

Katrina, YES. I love the Hills... that is a classic quote!

Nadine2point0 said...

Love your blog - just happened upon it. Made me laugh!!
http://nadine2point0.blogspot.com/

Doc Martens Boots said...

thanks for sharing it i like this
I always like fashion in shoes
my favorite shoes are long boots

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.