PSW: Where to Shop

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I know it sucks when you go to the mall and all of the stores are geared toward size 0's, but it is totally THEIR LOSS. I was just reading about British department store Debenham's (which I've used on the site before) using size 14 mannequins and the marketing director saying that it was because most of their shoppers were (duh) a size 14. Aaaaaand how long did it take them to figure it out?

Luckily, you can find clothing stores that are non frumpy AND have clothes that will fit. And more and more of them are rolling out every day. Here is a comprehensive list of plus-size stores, what you'll find there and what you should buy (OMG I love telling people what to buy.) Note that not all of these are plus-size specific stores, some just have extensive plus size product lists. WOO!

PlusSizeFix.com



Unfortunately, PSF is only an online store, but I love it for "all of my friends are going out and I don't want to be the frumpy one" clothes. Mostly trendy stuff, it goes to 3XL and the whole site is filled with cute stuff like this beaded shirt here. Pair with some trouser jeans and a pointy toe and you have girl's night out DOWN.

Lane Bryant


LB has been working hard to change it's image lately, and I really love the new stuff. This pencil skirt is amazing, and their stuff fits well. They are also completely dedicated to helping you find something you like, which means going to the actual store will be a good experience. Best for well fitting, staple pieces that you'll wear again and again.

Faith21 by Forever21

K, it's no secret I love me some Forever 21 accessories, but I love their new plus size line, Faith21 too. Best for trendy pieces, check online first to see what you like. If you want to go in-store, call ahead; some stores don't have Faith21 yet. The larger ones will though. They do a lot of horizontal stripes, so beware. But I LOVE this feather shirt (I have a peacock obsession)

Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft

In sizes up to 18, AT and ATL can cater to the plus size crowd as well. While some of the pieces can be pricey, they are awesome for basics like jeans, dresses and skirts that you want to invest some coin into. I much prefer ATL over AT, but whatever floats your boat!

Torrid

Best for younger moms who aren't ready to dress like they are 35 *just yet*, I love Torrid for younger, less apologetic pieces. Sometimes I find that plus size clothing can be all about hiding or trying to blend in, which is why I love Torrid for being all "whatever" and trying bright, flashy, sexy clothing. II love their line of tights and they always have awesome pencil skirts.

Avenue

Avenue is awesome for a more polished look that is hyper flattering. These people know how to dress plus size figures. How awesome is this dress/sweater/belt combo? I love. And all of their stuff is just plain PRETTY. For sure one of my faves, and great for those PEOPLE I KNOW who are always scared of looking too young in clothes.

Some other places to try?

Old Navy: Old Navy has a plus size line that goes up to 30 and allows you to get great, one season basics.


While Old Navy clothes aren't made to stand the test of time, per say, you can get lots of cheap stuff to last you through the summer so you can update your wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Maurice's: Their stores are awesome and it is literally impossible not to find something you like there. They have a plus size section that goes up to 3XL OR 24 and their maxi dresses and business wear stuff is awesome.


(Also, they have really, really good sales. I bought a kimono sweater from there for like $6 BOOM!)

Alright, I think that should do it. There should be no excuse for not finding a place to shop. Remember that most department stores, like Macy's, will also have plus size sections. Whether you head to a specialty store or just a store that offers your size, there are plenty of trends and clothes to try.

Go forth and shop!

6 comments:

Mary said...

This is fabulous! I do have a question though. What about PS and skinny jeans? I bought a pair on sale at Old Navy but I'm still undecided on them.

Lisa Jones said...

i <3 torrid, maurices, and forever 21. the only forever 21 in the whole state of ohio with faith 21 is near me but they are remodeling and axed the faith 21 department until they are back in their new bigger store :(. 2 other places I love are Fashion Bug (owned by the same company as Lane Bryant) and Dots for plus sizes. What about H&M, does anyone know their biggest sizes? I have a 14 or 16 size dress from there I bought secondhand.

Kara said...

I am probably considered plus size, and I don't necessarily agree with you that banded shirts are a good choice for plus size. It would seem they are because, like you said, they provide more coverage and aren't tight around the middle. However, I find that when I wear those kinds of shirts my middle looks ginormous! They just aren't flattering on someone who isn't stick skinny. Just thought I'd give my input... what do you think??

Jae said...

Kara, is has a lot to do with where the band is falling on your body. If you yanking it down too far, it can make your middle look bigger than it really is. It shouldn't be worn any lower than the top of the hip. Also, the size of the band can make a difference. I would recommend a wider one so there is more of a definition between the band and the shirt. That being said, it won't look awesome on everyone; trial and error is the way to go!

Sheriece said...

Alright alright, Avenue it is ;) hee hee!

Marie said...

Your tips and selections are fabulous. I especially like the title of your blog. It is so easy to give up fashion when you become a mom!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.