The Denim Wardrobe

Thursday, April 2, 2009

K, so I have previously expounded upon the merits of owning a jeans wardrobe. This means having a pair of jeans for just about every occasion and every outfit. Too many moms buy their one stinkin' pair of Lee's and think they are in good shape. NO. You should have multiple pairs of jeans in different cuts, styles and washes so that you can get the full mileage from your wardrobe. Some shoes and shirts will not go with your one pair of jeans. EXPAND your denim wardrobe.


So here are the jeans I think every woman should have in their closet. Take it as you will, but I've spent alot of time cultivating my own jeans wardrobe and it is finally at peak perfection. I have jeans to wear with EVERYTHING in my closet. And it feels goooood.
Lets also have a quick reminder about pricing. Jeans can be crazy expensive right? And some jeans, I'll recommend you do invest in. However, "fashion" jeans that you just buy to match stuff can be cheap. Don't spend more than $50 on them. Love em and leave em when they go out of style. That way you don't feel guilty.

Here we go!

The Everyday Jean



This is the pair of jeans that I really do recommend you spend money on. Because they are literally the everyday jean, you'll find yourself pulling them out of the closet as your standby. I love my everyday ones, they make getting dressed pretty effortless. They look good, they are casual enough to wear with plain stuff but still cute enough that I can top them with a jacket if I need to dress them up a bit. Everyday jeans should fit PERFECTLY. Mine are tailored because I have a little waist but a big booty, and I always have to go up a size to fit. So buy your everyday jeans knowing that you can alter them. Fit the widest part of you and then tailor in the rest. Choose a MEDIUM wash, and a regular bootcut leg and you'll get tons of mileage out of them. Now, inseams. If you wear mostly heels as your everyday shoe of choice, choose a 33" or so inseam. If you tend to wear flats, you can go with a 31".

The Weekend Jean


I loved my weekend jeans. They were perfectly worn in and holey and there was even a hole in the butt so big that I had to cover it up with a Care Bear patch until some creepy old man gave me a thumbs up and said "Care Bears, eh?" and I retired them. But I got new ones! And they are almost at their perfect worn-iness. Weekend jeans are those really comfy light washed ones (NOT ACID) that go with all of your concert tour t-shirts. I totally can get behind a good pair of weekend jeans, because they usually fit you the best. If you don't have a pair that you are grooming to be some weekend jeans, choose a looser fit, light washed pair and wear them every weekend until they just wear out. Perrrrrfect. Funny story. In high school, while searching for the perfect worn in jeans, I took a cheese grater to a good pair and there was denim stuck in the grater forever. Sorry mom! Anyways, love these but hate that shes wearing them with heels. Don't do heels with your weekend jeans. Hem them so you can do flats or flip flops.

The Totally Rockin' Date Jean


These are the jeans that you wear when out with your significant other that just make your body look INSANE. They should be as dark a wash as possible, hemmed at a 33" because you are definitely wearing them with heels. I must confess, I buy alot of date jeans. They are just super attractive. Also good for parties, work functions, and showing up old boyfriends so they regret ever breaking up with you. Listen; do not buy a date jean because it is trendy. The only time to buy it is if you look in the dressing room mirror and actually look so good you become attracted to yourself. Got it?
The Skinny Jean



I KNOW you have mixed feeling about the skinny jean, and why wouldn't you? They are a fickle, fickle beast. But once you find a pair you LOVE, buy them. Skinny jeans are awesome to do longer shirts and flats with, or of course, my favourite - boots. You must have a pair of skinny jeans to attempt jeans over boots, otherwise you WILL look like a pirate. Remember that skinny does NOT mean tapered. True skinny jeans have a straight, stove pipe leg. Try buying them one size up from your normal size so as not to become severely depressed when you try and wiggle into them.

**BONUS**
The Trouser Jean



The trouser jean is a huge crowd pleaser, but people tend to not think about it. However its SUPER easy to wear and looks good on just about anyone. I don't consider it a jeans staple, per se, but I think its adorable and if you're looking for something new, try it. LOVE.


Now, a word about Boyfriend Jeans. They are totally popular right now, and I like them in the way I like Weekend Jeans, for their kind of adorable sloppiness factor. HOWEVER, I don't approve of pegging them, it looks gross and kind of 80's but not in a retro cute way. Don't stumpify your legs by cutting them off with a huge roll. If you're going to do Boyfriend Jeans, do them with girly versions of what your "boyfriend" would do. A cute graphic tee and some sneaks.
K, so I hope you're all ready to start spring shopping and expand your demin wardrobe. Having a complete one totally takes away the "What am I going to wear." Its an instant outfit. Take appropriate jeans, pair with like-themed shirt and call it a night. Voila!
(All jeans found at Nordstom Denim Shop)

6 comments:

Beth said...

Cute jeans!

I feel so proud that I have trouser jeans, YEAH

Natalie said...

I love your blog and especially this post. It seems my collection of cute, too expensive, jeans don't include the date night or weekender or trouser! I do however have the "wear on your harley, blinged out" and "a bit country, william rasts" which fall into the trendy now category. So I guess I need to go shopping....!

Natalie said...

So I mentioned your awesome blog post to my hunny and he lovingly presented me with a gift card for Lolabella/JMR. I went to the gateway and I am dead serious when I tell you they didn't have single pair of dark jeans in my size. It seems if your over 27" your not hot enough for cute jeans. I beg to differ!

Carly said...

"become attracted to yourself."

Oh Jae, you complete me.

enterrement vie de célibataire Paris said...

my favorite jeans are the slim one and the ttrousers.
Lilou

bizen said...

Jolie ma sélection de jean.
Lena

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.