Putting It Together - The Skinny Jean

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ah, the controversial skinny jean. I hate when people say things like "Only skinny people can wear a skinny jean." or tell you to ALWAYS stick with bootcut. Yeah guess what? Sticking to one fashion concept always is borrrring. And I love the skinny jean. It took me a good month to work up to even trying the things on, and since then I've been fairly addicted. I love me a skinny jean. They are so trendy that no matter how you style them, they always look super fashion forward. And they are crazy versatile in the way you can dress them up and down.

There are a few different ways I like to wear my skinny jeans. Now let me put up this disclaimer; while I am typically on the smaller side, I have a good sized booty. Not gonna lie, I'm a little proud of it. So, mushbelly asked if you an wear skinny jeans if you have a butt and the answer is YES! Skinny jeans are all about balance. Once you find the right balance, ANYONE can wear them.



Now remember this one tip - always buy skinny jeans one size bigger than you would a regular pair. That way you aren't trying to stuff yourself into them, causing you to feel depressed and eat two Cinnabons. I'VE BEEN THERE. Start big, and if you need to go down a size, good on you! Also remember that skinny does not mean tapered. Skinny jeans have a stovepipe leg that is straight all the way down, and are cut close to the body. If you aren't sure whether the jeans you are looking at are tapered or not, take a cue from my boy Clinton Kelly and fold the jean leg up from the knee and see. If it is the same width, you have a winner. If the bottom of the jean leg is smaller, boo, put it back. Tapered jeans are not for moms.


K, so here is a few ways to rock the skinny jean.





















Okay, here is how you balance out the skinny-ness of the jeans with a blousy top and a boot. The blousy top counteracts how close the jeans are cutting on your leg, and the boot adds some heft at the bottom; the same kind of heft you'd get in say, a pair of bootcut jeans. Get a boot with a bit of a heel, but don't go crazy with it. I have like 6 pairs of knee high boots and my fave pair? From Payless. lol. Add a slouchy bag and a cute earring, and you have a perfect girl's night out type outfit. Shirt and earrings from F21, bag from Zappos, boot from, you guessed it, Payless.











This is how to do a skinny jean in an every day, grocery shopping/PTA meeting type setting. Start with a plaid shirt, but choose one with girly elements, like this one with a waist tie. Choose boots this time that are riding boots; almost no heel and masculine details like buckles. Pair it with a sunny bag that makes this NOT look like you're a farmhand. SO freakin' cute. These boots are by Madden, but I love Frye Harness ones too. Bag from Shop Suey, Shirt from F21.














Now this is a little bit more daring way to wear your skinny jeans. But if you've got em, and feel comfortable in them, this is how to do it. This is how I would recommend you wear them if you DO have a booty and don't mind showing it off a little. Consider the top (from Charlotte Russe). Its longer than your regular run of the mill shirt. You want one that stretches at least down to your hip bone. Because the shirt is longer, you're not going to do a boot... you do both and you'll have like 3 inches of actual jeans showing. Instead, do it with a serious stacked heel, just bring the cuff of your skinny jean down over them as far as they'll go. Pair with some sweet jewelry, and I would totally wear this to a concert or on a really good, non movie date. Or anytime I want to show up other girls. Don't act like you don't do it too. Shoes and accessories from F21.


You can do skinny jeans with flats, but choose this route only if you have a more boyish figure and are comfortable with it. Because flats don't give any substance at the foot, it looks a little top heavy on plus sized girls, or girls with less-proportionate bodies.


But TRY this. Work up the nerve to give it a shot in all the different ways to wear it, and I promise you'll like it. Fear the skinny jean no more!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Rachelle. Question. Will the first picture of the top work with non skinny jeans & same with the purple heels. I love both of them!!!

Lisa B said...

I know you like Forever 21. Have you been to their new store at South Towne? It's HUGE! Like 2 floors huge. Check it out if you haven't been.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Where are the jeans from?

Jae said...

Rachelle - I don't see why not!

Lisa - Um, I will meet you there. Love F21! So much good stuff!

And all of the jeans from the Denim Wardrobe are from Nordstrom. Check out their denim shop... awesome!

mushbelly said...

Thanks for addressing my booty question. I tried on some skinny jeans today at Ann Taylor Loft and they were ok. I tried some others on last week at Banana Republic and I think I liked those ones better. I'm going go buy some, I just need to find the perfect pair.

Renee said...

do skinny jeans work when you're pregnant? i have a pair of dark wash H&M skinny jeans (that i caught on sale, by the way) that i LOVE and i don't know about giving them up for 9 months...but, then again, i don't want to look like an apple on a stick either....

enterrement de vie de garçon Paris said...

Jolie selection de pochette, j'aime beaucoup.
Lilou

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.