Putting It Together - The Weekend Jean

Monday, April 13, 2009

So I was in a total quandary on Friday because I was like ah! The weekend is coming! And didn't know whether to post the weekend jean because you might be slummin' it all weekend, OR post the date night jean in case you had a hot date, so I just put them both off in favour of eating Mini Eggs instead. I figured I'd get them both this week so you'd have CHOICES. Don't you love me? I do.

Anyhow! Weekend jeans. I love them so much. I love putting on a pair and making an outfit that is kind of vintage-y and worn in, but still looks put together and intentional. Let me profess to you my love of graphic t-shirts. One of my best friends, Katie, is constantly making fun of my love for shirts with weird graphics on them. I have them all... Beatles tees, word tees, Nintendo tees, Big Pimpin' tees (lol!), World Wildlife Fund tees. Whatever. I love them. I think they are great for weekend wear and they are usually very fitted and look pretty adorable. So I tend to pair my weekend jeans with a vintage graphic tee, my super cute white moccasins, and call it a day. Observe.




Okay, here are your weekend jeans. They are totally stonewashed and worn in. Holes are a-ok here. AGAIN, I really hate that whoever styled this picture put them with brown heeled boots, so IGNORE.


A really cute graphic tee. The trick to doing a plain fitted tee? Buy it one size larger than you usually wear. DON'T buy it to be skin tight like in years past. You want it to look casual and whatever-ish. Let there be some extra fabric and it'll be just right. Remember the things you do on the weekend; shop, run errands, work on house projects, whatever. Its meant to be functional, and if you're constantly tugging on your shirt because its too tight, you lose.



K, I tried to find a set of mocs that look like the ones I have but no such luck. But I am totally okay with a nice, CLEAN, white flip flop. Just don't let them be platform flip flops, please! They are atrocious.



As for bags, I love something more messenger-y when you are going so casual. A regular handbag will look out of place. I am in love with this Juicy one...sling it across you body and stuff it full of weekend essentials. Let me point out that if you find a good messenger bag you love. BUY IT. They are crazy versatile. Not only can you use it on the weekends, but they are great diaper bags, carry-on bags for traveling, you name it.

Now, jewelry with such a casual weekend jean is weird and I don't recommend it. But if you MUST, try something with a little bit of a harder edge. My husband got me this Marc Jacobs leather bracelet a couple Christmases ago, and I love to wear it as my ONE piece of jewelry when I'm otherwise dressed casually. The leather and metal combo is a better option than say, something silver or gold, or even bright and plastic.
Okay, so sorry for abandoning you last weekend, but it was Easter anyhow, so you were probably all dressed in your finery. However try it this weekend. You guys know how much I hate schlubby dressers... this is how to be secretly schlubby so I won't judge you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jae it's Rachelle, how much is that bag posted on this post? I really like it!! I couldn't find it on the website.

Jae said...

Hey! The bag is $295 at Nordstrom, but its out of stock currently. Boo. But I think there you can have them notify you when its back in stock. They have tons of cute Juicy bags.

Natalie said...

so I put together my weekend jean, outfit and am afraid it may quickly become my everyday outfit :) so comfy.
Thanks, it's great to shop with a look in mind and I really didn't think graphic T's would be allowed...ever!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.