Talking Scents

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

For a while, I was obsessed with the idea of having a "signature scent." You know, like a person smells a perfume and is like "OMG that is SO Jae." In high school, I doused myself in Exclamation Blush in order to accomplish this (that makes me sound very old because I'm pretty sure Exclamation doesn't exist anymore. It was up there with Baby Soft, which my BFF wore).

I became SO SURE that it was my signature that when I broke up with my high school boyfriend and he asked for his jacket back (and sent his friend over to get it because you know, mature high school relationships), I secretly sprayed a little on it so he would get it and be like "Oh, this smells like Jae and I still am madly in love with her." Even though I broke up with him.

But that's beside the point.

As I've gotten older, I've amassed more fragrance and become less enamored with the idea of having a signature. Instead, I've learned to go for specific notes that appeal to me. Less of a signature product, more of a general idea that I gravitate toward.

I do like how scents can kind of be like dressing up. I tend to spritz based on my mood or style for that day than grabbing one signature scent again and again. Whether I need to take care of business or turn it up for date night, there's totally a scent for that.

In general, I have pretty tomboyish tastes when it comes to fragrance. I always say I like it teeter on the edge of being masculine. No florals here. But I'm always up for new recommendations, so let's share, shall we? I'll tell you what I'm wearing nowadays (and when I wear it) and you can share your fave scent.

And we'll all have signature scents together.


Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb
Best for: Everyday Wear


If I was to have a "signature," this would be it. Despite it's uber girly, floral name, I detect more vanilla in this perfume than anything. It's a super warm, subtle scent that I love. I have the roller balls and I pop one in my purse so I can apply it throughout the day.

My husband has commented to me that his receptionist at work must wear this because she smells like me and I find it oddly flattering that he can tell.





GAP So Pink
Best for: Casual Stuff


I'm not sure if they're still selling this in stores or not. I think I bought it last year. But I love it for casual days because it just smells clean: A little cirtusy and really bright and not cloying at all. It's just low key, kind of like yours truly when she doesn't have to plan for picture day.

Calvin Klein Euphoria and Forbidden Euphoria
Best For: Vamp and Vamp Light

These are definitely the strongest scents I own. I've been wearing CK Euphoria for a few years and it's still my date night go to: It's really spicy and musky. If it's a little too spicy for you, Forbidden is basically the same scent, but with more vanilla to temper that heat which I really like. It's like, Forbidden is for a movie date night, and Euphoria is for a fancy schmancy dinner. 

Yes I sound insane, but you know what I mean. Both are just super sexy, but in two different levels.

Victoria's Secret Bombshell
Best for: Taking Care of Business 


The fact that this perfume is called "Bombshell" makes me laugh a little, because I find it to be the most masculine scent I own. It's really just down-to-earth, very clean and just the tiniest bit floral. The website says "exotic?" But it really reminds me of a light cologne more than anything. I wear it when I want to feel super in charge, like during out-of-control work calls or going bathing suit shopping.

So if your definition of "bombshell" is actually "ladyboss," then yes, this is very bombshell-y indeed.

I also have Tease from Victoria's Secret and like it, but the bulb-y thingy broke and now I don't reach for it as much because that's too much work now.  But I like it: It's pretty girly and amber-y.




















Bath and Body Works Wild Madagascar Vanilla
Best for: All Day (and Bargain Hunters!) 


I grabbed this as an impulse buy to get a discount a couple of months ago, and I can't believe it's become a staple for me. I don't usually like Bath and Body Works scents because they're really super strong, but this one is soft and very sweet: A little goes a long way. There was even a post about on HuffPost, which I thought was funny and gave me a little pat on the back for having good taste. I'll buy this again and totally want the rest of the line. I'm pretty impressed that this cheapie perfume smells higher end than it really is. Shhhh don't tell. Also, I don't know if it matters, but my kids LOVE this perfume. They always comment on it when I wear it. So there's that.


Do you see a pattern here? I don't have a signature fragrance, but I do choose scent based on the same three notes over again: I like vanilla undertones, a bit of spice and a warm or musky component. If I choose florals, they're usually light and combined with citrus to be less sweet.


Now it's your turn: I love getting fragrance for Christmas, so I'm looking for some of your faves. What are you wearing, what do you hate (like Beyonce's Heat omg it smelled like motor oil cat placenta), what are you asking for?


11 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

You are speaking my language. I adore fragrance. I would rather buy a new perfume or cologne as an indulgence than almost anything else.

To me, Euphoria has a pleasant tartness to it. This is going to sound weird, but I mean it as a compliment; it reminds me of lemon Pledge. Yes, the spray furniture polish.

Go here:

www.luckyscent.com

This is where I purchase the love of my life, Le Temps de Une Fete, by my favorite perfume house, Parfums de Nicolai. It is the ultimate magical spring time scent, and no, I don't mean lilacs. It's a fresh but earthy green.

This might sound just this side of dowdy, but I highly recommend checking out Estee Lauder smellies. My faves:

Azuree--a bold, citrus leather. The first time I smelled it, I thought, "Gah, what is this bitter stuff?" But once I was hooked, I was hooked. Reminds me of that special time when summer is just about to turn into autumn.

Knowing--the ultimate 80s rose, but with a comforting dose of oakmoss. Don't be afraid, I don't mean that in a shoulder pads way. It makes me feel nostalgic.

Youth Dew--not sure if you would like this one or not, but I think it's really great. It came out in the 1950s, and it smells like a glass of root beer, but in a good way. It has a very balsam-y smell to it.

I could go on and on. I have probably 20 bottles of perfume, and aspirations for more. I really have to hold myself back.

Oo! One more you might like, Bulgari Black. It's a soft vanilla plus oddly enough, smoking tires.

Putting on a fragrance transports me the way that reading stories used to when I was a kid.

Unknown said...

My favourite is Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca de Rosas, not sure if you get this in the USA but it's Spanish and is the cleanest, prettiest perfume in the universe, and it reminds me of my carefree university days in Spain. My big bucks go to Bvlgari, the classic fragrance, which is beautiful and makes me feel like Prince William's expensive and sophisticated PA. For everyday, you cannot beat Zara! Lots of different blends and retail at a tenner each so much cheapness. Nora, my late mum wore Youth Dew and even the faintest trace of it makes me look around for her, so iconic.

Anonymous said...

Avril, thank you for sharing your poignant connection to Youth Dew. Whenever I smell Shalimar, it reminds me of being four and going through my mom's stash of fancy makeup and other lovelies.

Which Bulgari do you like? Pour Femme?

Jae said...

Nora, I need to check out Bulgari Black. I love softer scents with a bit of bite. Also, my mom always wore Vanilla Fields when I was a kid, which is probably why I lean that way so heavily now. Fragrance does weird stuff with memory, right?

Lynn said...

I'm not much of a scent person, but I do like to smell nice. For me that means Philosophy's Baby Grace as my go-to. It's light and clean smelling and makes me feel put together, I used to really like Este Lauder Beautiful. Makes me sound ancient. Do they even make it anymore? And Clinique Happy was always good on me too. I'm a simple girl ;-)

Jennifer Wells said...

Jae, I think you will be pleased with Bulgari Black, at least I hope so!

Lynn, your fragrance choices sound right up my alley. Another one I really like by EL is Pleasures. It's just a really comforting clean scent.

Lynn said...

Thanks Nora! I'll give EL Pleasures a sniff on my next trip to Nordies!

Unknown said...

Nora, I stick with the classics always, so its just the Bvlgari Pour Femme I wear. Running out of perfume but about to hit the big 40 so maybe I'll get a nice fragrance gift from the family! I love Shalimar, your mum must be very elegant!

Rachael Cain said...

My fav perfume is Nanette Lepore. I also have Nanette Lepore Shanghai Butterfly, but I prefer the original. Try it out. It isn't very vanilla-y or spicy like you seem to like, but its really clean smelling to me. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I am also obsessed with bath and body works Jasmine Vanilla body oil. It is part of their aromatherapy line. They don't have a perfume or body spray, unfortunately. But dayum, the scent of that oil is sexy.
Have you ever smelled Pi by Givenchy for men? It is my favourite mens cologne, but I also wear it as perfume sometimes haha. It is a very "warm" cologne. Totally fits for a woman too. Might have that masculine edge you like.. ughhhh great post, I love scents.

Jae said...

Rachael, Justin wears Pi and has since we dated lol! It's still my favorite, but I bought him Gucci Our Homme II and I love it as well -- same deal, super warm. You have excellent taste, my friend.

Blogger said...

If you're looking for a good contextual ad company, I suggest you check out Clicksor.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.