What I Wore: Me? A Blogger?

Monday, September 10, 2012

Last week I was up at my parent's house visiting when a family friend came over. While chatting, he said something about my being a blogger and I was like wait, what? Apparently, my parents have talked to him about my job, indicating that I'm a "blogger," a title that I still have a hard time with. I don't know why! It's like, I obviously have a blog, but it's such a teensy part of my job that I have a hard time talking about it. Seriously; ask me about my blog in real life and I get so awkward and uncomfortable and sweaty. I'm like "Wait, people actually read this stuff?"

Even with my outfit pictures... I don't consider them all that "bloggy." Better blogs have cool pictures taken in awesome locations with like, face fans going to create perfect hair blowout, but all you get from me is an outfit shot in front of my stairs. I am totally aware that it's like, the least amount of effort put into outfit shots ever, but I can't remember the last time I had a spare moment to actually go somewhere and take pictures of myself. Most of the time when I have a spare minute, I want a nap, not pretty pictures.

One thing I definitely want for this blog is that you guys find it above all, accessible. I don't want you thinking "Oh, that's fine for her if she doesn't want to wear sweatpants every day, but obviously she doesn't have kids clamoring for her attention and has hours to shop, put together cute outfits and then take magazine quality shots of herself each day with a $4,000 camera." Because I absolutely don't. All I want to show are outfit ideas, which are sometimes totally ruined by rogue preschoolers wandering through the shot or crappy lighting because it's raining outside or an open cupboard in the background stuffed with 90 different types of cereal because I'm good at a lot of things, but remembering to close cabinet doors isn't one of them.

Sorry for the random tirade. I've just been thinking the last week about how being identified as a "blogger" makes me all squirmy and uncomfortable, much like the use of the word "moist" in everyday conversation. In the end, I don't think I want to be known as a blogger as much as I'd like to be known as just a regular girl with a couple of kids who happens to own a lot of shoes and likes writing about it. I am aware it's infinitely less catchy, but it makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

So, as usual, you get Monday pics in front of my stairs. One day I'll find a cool urban neighborhood and snap shots in front of a graffiti-covered wall, but let's face it: I live in Utah. Both urban neighborhoods and graffiti are fairly hard to come by.

Photobucket
Shirt: H&M
Skirt: modbod (OMG I love it so much)
Shoes: Charlotte Russe
Bracelet and ring: F21
Necklace: Local craft fair

And, as a regular girl with a couple of kids who happens to own a lot of shoes and likes to write about it, I can never, ever say no to a ruffled skirt. Please. The cuteness level is near disgusting proportions.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I love love love the way this skirt kicks up a bit in the back. Please be more feminine. Hence why I felt it needed to be paired with something a little more serious. This could get a little cupcake-y if you're not careful.


Photobucket
I've officially worn this necklace with everything I own lately. You're probably going to see it a lot.

Anyway, what I really should say is thanks for sticking with me and my little blog/website/whatever this is, even though I don't DIY anything, don't entertain with skewered foods, don't go to crazy parties in the city, take pictures from the comfort of my home (and sometimes by a 6-year-old) and become visibly uncomfortable anytime someone even mentions that I have a blog. I think you're all super fantastic.

Kisses,

Jae

12 comments:

*~LeLa~* said...

You know I love you Jae! Blogger or no lol.

Unknown said...

Hi, i just wanted to say i love reading your blog and i can understand why you feel nervous. i have some of the same problems which makes it hard for me to keep a blog. I'm always too worried about what other people think of me or I'm not doing a blog fancy enough that anyone would want to pay attention to it. I really need to start again and not worry so much what other people think. I'm sure most of those jitters will go away over time as you talk to other people but it can be hard to bring things up without feeling "hey look at me and what I'm doing"

While agree that it's easy to just take pictures in your home, especially when your busy chasing kids around. I'd like to point out however that salt lake may not have many gerfetti buildings as other cities, but there are some great historic buildings that would still work great for urban shots.

Thanks again for your blogs. They've really helped me think outside of what I normally go shopping for. Hopefully over time my wardrobe will actually feel like it's something exciting instead of so boring.

Jenifer said...

I think you are super fantastic! Love your "blog/website/whatever/thingy" and wouldn't change it a bit...you crack me up, and I need a bit of levity in my days.

By the way, have you seen the "hug me" sweater? Google that monstrosity and have a good laugh!

Jae said...

Aw you guys are all awesome. It's so weird to define all of this as something! lol. I mean, having a blog in the first place is a little self-assured... like oh, of course people will want to read about me! But then it's like wait, am I even doing this right?

Jenifer, that shirt is SO making it to Freaky Friday. It makes me laugh and a little sad at the same time. lol!

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you have any brand suggestions for awesome jeans. I'm 5'6", relaxed fit in the thigh area. I don't like too high or too low waisted jeans. I'm also on a budget, but want to look good. Thanks.

Unknown said...

why does the word 'moist' even exist?

it's only acceptable when referring to cake, but even then, you could find a better adjective.

Everything you write is spot on.
Bless you for being so hilar.

Jessica said...

Well I love your blog, it's hilarious, accessible and very helpful. I'm so glad I stumbled upon it a year ago.

You forgot to mention that you once posted a hair tutorial, but you forgot to point the camera at your hair! :)

Anonymous said...

This blog is like chattin' with a girlfriend. No pressure on you, no embarrassment. Just good times.

YEAH!

-NB

Jae said...

Hahaha oh, classic Jae! I heart you guys muchly for reading my thingy. Wait... that sounds weird.

Anonymous said...

you look great! love your blog.

Deveny said...

I think this is why most of us follow/love your blog - because it's a REAL look at a mom's life. 95% of us don't have time to get glammed up for a 30 second photo shoot on location. We're scooping cheerio dust of the counter, changing poopy diapers and/or underwear and trying not to tear our hair out.
:)

Anonymous said...

"Wait... that sounds weird."

I love things that sound weird.

The second to last photo, you're like, "Ha! Take that, I am teh cutie-cutes."

--NB

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.