Pattern Mixing for Beginners

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I will preface this post by saying this look is NOT for everyone. If you're still learning that pleats on pants are weird, this is probably a little advanced for you. HOWEVER, if you're moderately fashion savvy and want to look up-to-date, you can totally handle this.

I'm talking about pattern mixing, people.

Once upon a time, mixing patterns was scary and unknown, like Mars. Did I ever tell you I'm really scared of aliens? One time my husband was off camping and I was home alone watching a 20/20 special about aliens and I swear I cried myself to sleep. That was a classic Jae tangent. Back to the topic at hand. Ah, yes. Pattern mixing need not make you cry yourself to sleep. As long as it's done properly, it can look totally current and subsequently make you look like you know everything about fashion ever and then be the envy of playgroup.

When wearing two patterns together, the most basic rule is this: At least one MUST be a graphic print. This is because two wishy waashy prints, say, floral and paisley, are going to make you look like a crazy hippy slash Laura Ingalls lookalike. So long as you have a graphic print, such as a dot, stripe, zig-zag, whatever, you can make this work.

Once you've chosen your graphic print, you can choose your coordinating print. This can be anything, but be warned. The crazier the print, the more vital you stay within the same color family as your graphic print. So, stripes and florals can totally work so long as they are monochoromatic, whereas choosing two graphic prints lets you go crazy with the colors and I won't judge.

So, after you've chosen your two patterns (ONLY TWO, PEOPLE) you can then add accessories. It's vital that your accessories act as anchor pieces, so please for the love of all that is holy choose neutrals. Anything else is insane. Like, Bjork at Fashion Week insane. Please don't.

I feel like some examples are in order.

patterns

Dot dress
$35 - delias.com

Red Herring stripe tee
£10 - debenhams.com

Long sleeve top
£30 - houseoffraser.co.uk

Floral print skirt
£10 - axparis.co.uk

BC Footwear metallic shoes
$45 - nordstrom.com

Old Navy heeled sandals
$33 - oldnavy.gap.com

Tan handbag
$30 - amazon.com

Hurley bag
$40 - tillys.com

Bow jewelry
$7.99 - tillys.com

Wet Seal hoop earrings
$11 - wetseal.com

All Saints striped scarve
$43 - allsaints.com


Here I have two examples of supercute pattern mixing. Notice how the first has a graphic and a more traditional print? See how they're both coral? Happy times! It's totally cute and fashion forward and springy. Now can you imagine the tragedy that would have been colored accessories? TOO matchy: you just want to look coordinated. The nude in the accessories acts as the anchor that keeps this outfit from sailing into Crazytown harbor.

The second look I had more to play with as far as colors because dots and stripes are both graphic prints. They can look a little more bold since there's less for the eye to take in. Plus, polka dots are adorable and make me want to eat my arm from the sheer cuteness. Still, you'll notice that the accessories are fairly neutral to keep everything together.

So do you feel like pattern mixing is something you can do or are you like Jae, you're Crazytown's resident crazy person? Although I will say, as always, if you think you "can't pull it off" then you probably can't. Because you'll try it and feel awkward and then LOOK awkward and that'll be the end of it. But if you want to give it a shot and work it and be confident, it's probably going to work for you.

Remember that it's just fashion. Email me if there's any other trends you want to try but don't know how. So long as it's not droopy crotch pants or jumpsuits (shudder), we can make it work.

5 comments:

grace said...

This is a really good basic guide. Thanks!

Jenna said...

Good tips, Jae! I am digging the pattern mixing trend. Dillon -- not so much. He probably thinks I look like the bag lady when I do it. But I'm trying to do it RIGHT and not go to Crazy Town. :)

Jae said...

lol Jenna... guys don't get it. My husband would love it if I dressed the same as I did when I was 17 because he doesn't like change. And we all know what he thinks about my TOMS! But I dress for me, so he has to deal with my love for mixing stripes and paisley! lol.

Rania said...

Just found your blog, and I learn many fashion tips from it.. Thank you, Jae :)

outfit31.blogspot.com said...

I luv, luv, luv to mix patterns!!! Once you start, you won't want to stop!!!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.