Trend Alert: The 70s

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I have been super excited to page through my fashion mags to see a huge resurgence of 70s style. Why do I love it so? One word:

Flares.

See, I have a fair amount of junk in the trunk. Don't worry. Most days I appreciate it as heartily as Sir Mix Alot. But it means that a lot of trends just don't look good on my frame, since I sometimes end up looking kind of like Humpty Dumpty. With good shoes. But Humpty Dumpty nonetheless.

Flares are like bootcut pants' kooky sister. She's a little more daring and fun to wear, and she might just embarrass you at the family reunion.

Wait. What?

Also, because flares have more volume around the hem, they can balance out a generous boo-tay, if you know what I mean. The best part is that you can do a flare in a polished trouser which is SO easy to wear and generally looks good on everyone. YAY!

Anyhow, the problem with dressing like you're from the 70s is that you look like you're dressing like someone from the 70s. Decade dressing can be tricky, since it can lead you into costume territory. Costumes are bad for everyday, for those of you keeping track.

If you're like me, and can't wait to get your moderately sized butt to the mall to pick up some 70s inspired gear, let's keep some things in mind.

In general, this is scary.

You are not on rollerskates, nor are you at Studio 54. Sorry. Also, that is the longest crotch I've ever seen. Terrifying.

The look to go for here is modern and polished. Not scary and figure skatery. Like so:

(Gap) *Drool* Helloooooo, nurse.

Try something more along the lines of this.

Disco


When attempting the 70s trend, you're going to want to find a crisp shirt up top. A flowy shirt will make you look like a hippy every time. Then tuck that bad boy in and finish with a SKINNY belt. This is key. Lock and load, baby. Look for jeans that have trouser detailing, where the hem of the jean is wider than the knee. You want the jeans to fit tight in the butt. Loose trouser or flare jeans are bad news bears. Then, finish off with 70s-reminiscent items like gold jewelry. This hearkens to the trend without causing you to become a super big trend whore.

When choosing shoes, look for something more substantial to wear with this trend. Wedges are best, but a stacked heel, heavy details or a chunkier heel will work as well.

Finish off with some super stylish aviators and you are on your way to trendiness.

See? Super easy to pull off and VERY forgiving in the body department. This. Is. Awesome. So what do you think? Trend to try? Or will you ditch it and watch Starsky and Hutch instead? I need opinions!

3 comments:

grace said...

I am also big of butt and I am ALL ABOUT flares, especially in a nice dark trouser jean. I actually never really stopped wearing them, but it will be good to be able to find them easily again.

Marisa said...

I love the look you posted, but I'm afraid to try it since I have a small butt and a somewhat flabby post-partum belly. I was actually thinking those trouser jeans might look nice with a white, flowy, slightly hippie top, as long as I still look put together? I know you don't want to be big on top AND big on bottom, but if the pants are tight around small hips and the shirt isn't so long it covers it up, do you think that's okay?

Jae said...

Marisa, the awesome thing about trousers is that they are higher-waisted. It kinda tucks everything in. BUT! I have done a flowy top with them as long as it's paired with a structured jacket to tone down the hippiness of it all lol. It helps everything look more put together... a little blazer or short-sleeved cardi would be perfect.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.