How I, Jae, Conquered My Fear of the Jegging

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So, remember the jegging fiasco of 2010? If you don't, here's a quick refresher.. Jae went to store. Jae tried on jeggings. Jae's bod looked ridiculous. Jae felt bad about herself. Jae drowned her sorrows in Chunky Monkey. Basically.

HOWEVER, after I wrote that post, I still was a little sad I couldn't find any that I liked. Because I really did want some to wear with my boots. So, I braved the stores again. This time, I brought my mom so she could watch children while I tried on jeggings in peace. There was less pressure this way. Anyway, long story short, I found some that I hummed and hawed over until I finally bucked up and bought them.

They sat in my closet for about two weeks before I got up the nerve to wear them. Finally, after trying them on with roughly every piece of my wardrobe, I wore them out in public. And guess what? I'm a little addicted now. I love my jeggings oh so very much. I still contend that they aren't for everyone. And I am very careful about HOW I wear them. But they can work! Even for disproportionate people like yours truly.

In fact, Facebook fans will know that I wore them on my four hours of flying yesterday. And since I promised pictures for judgmental judgment, here we go.

Here's the breakdown:
Tunic - H&M
Tie cardigan- Bluenotes
Jeggings (omg) - Forever 21
Boots - Soda via Head Over Heels
Cuff watch - Gucci
Pendant - Local

Also... this picture is taken in my childhood room. Except when I lived there I had cow wallpaper. And a keyboard. I don't understand either.

OK, so I feel like I got away with the fashion equivalent of murder here. I looked put together for my flight AND I got to wear comfy boots that I didn't have to jam into my suitcase. My suitcase which was 60 lbs already.

So, learn from my mistakes ladies. Here's what I learned in my great jeggings search.
1) Jeggings look stupid the first time you put them on. I know that know. If you have a generous backside like moi, try them on with boots. Otherwise, tears will fall.
2) Go up a size. This is advice I gave back when we were discussing skinny jeans at the very start of this blog. Don't squidge yourself into jeggings, even if they are stretchy. For heaven's sake, they're made of spandex. They're tight no matter what size you get. Save yourself the depression and go up.
3) Buy a practice pair. I loved a pair that I tried on at the Gap, but they were pricey. So I bought the $14 F21 versions. Now I know I love them, I'll spend more coin on the next pair.
4) Look for DARK washes that have traditional jean styling. Seriously, pocketless jeggings make me look like I have a diaper bum. It's not pretty. Pockets give some visual interest so it's not just a wide expanse of booty.
5) Get the safest jegging equation down: longer shirt + boots = happiness. As you get more comfortable with your jeggings, you might try flats with them, or a shorter jacket. Just do so with caution.

Still, I can understand general hesitation when it comes to jegging. I will not put them on as a MUST HAVE in your jean wardrobe. It's a bonus, like trouser jeans. If you can pull them off, awesome. If not... you can make disapproving throat noises when I walk by. No biggie.

PS: This post has been approved by Conan O'Brien.

8 comments:

Justin said...

HOT TOTTIE!

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie I. said...

I love it! Thanks for posting the pic as requested!

I have a friend that's been suggesting these same jeggings from F21 for a while now.

Kendra said...

I LOVE jeggings. I'm so addicted. I'm 21 weeks preggo right now but I don't gain a whole lot on the bottom half of me and my belly gets huge so jeggings are the perfect solution. They still fit tight in the leg, but can fit around my huge stomach.
My favorite jegging is Abercrombie & Fitch ... for sure.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I am really thinking about buying a maternity pair. However, I am 30 weeks pregnant and have trouble finding a shirt to cover my entire belly (regardless of my positioning) and the combo scares me.

Virginia said...

Super cute!
I'm a newbie at jeggings too. :)

Shopping Golightly said...

No! Please don't fall for this! I am convinced the jegging will cause PTSD when people look back in photos 10 years from now. Like how I wince at those stirrup pants from the 80's. Forgo the jegging, it's name is even a blight, "He wouldn't stop jegging on me so I stood up and left him with the tab". I understand there are acid washed, stirrup jeggings too. If that's not an omen, I don't know what one is.

Jae said...

I'm sorry, their appeal is too much for me to handle. It solves the age-old bunchy boots problem! Lovely, lovely little things they are. But like I said, if you don't feel comfortable in them, they are not for you!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.