Baby, It's Cold Outside

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Does anyone else hate when superstar singers screw around with Christmas songs? There's nothing I hate more than when I am belting out Christmas carols in an impromptu concert in my car and the Christina Aguilera feels the need to throw in 10 minutes of runs so I can't sing along. IT'S RUDE.

But seriously, it is kinda freakin' freezing out where I live right now. I've got a little over a foot of snow and I'm heading up to Canada in two days to warm up. There is something very wrong with that picture. Anyway, last week it was my week to carpool and OF COURSE I would have to head outside at the unholy hour of 8:30am to scrape off my car in preparation of loading four four-year-olds into my SUV and slip-sliding down the hill to preschool. And believe you me, I very much wanted to do so in sweatpants. But of course, I blog about fashion and whatnot, and I'm constantly terrified one of the other moms is going to be like "Heeeey! You're wearing yoga pants, you hypocrite!" And I would never live it down. So I force myself to get dressed in the morning.

Luckily, since I grew up in Canada, I am a prostar at dressing for the cold. I tend to underdress out here because I don't find it as bone-rattling as Canada winters, but I still keep warm while looking mildly fashionable. Here's some ideas for you to marinade upon as you think of me, begging my seat warmers to hurry the freak up, and then telling the kids that "freak" is not a nice word to say.

If You're Classic:

winter1


OK, I have a firm believe that EVERY woman should have a winter dress coat. I got my first pea coat when I was 17 and I fell in love. I love how classic and streamlined they look. I have three now, in black, red and cream, and honestly, they are as warm, if not warmer, than my big ugly snowmobiling parka. They felt is warm and they don't make you look fat. Need I say more? I like pairing mine with flats as long as it's not snowy, otherwise it's boots.

If You're Sporty:

winter2



If you're a little more sporty and the whole pearls and loveliness isn't really your bag in the winter, might I suggest a super cute bomber? It's super warm and I kind of love the lumberjack-esque plaid. Just girly it up with a ruffled skirt so no one mistakes you for an actual lumberjack. You should definitely invest in a pair of warm ankle boots that go on and off quickly. Wear your jeans over the top and you just see your cute, soft, warm little feet. I have a bomber with fir on the hood and it is my go-to jacket when it's blustery out. Plus, I find treats from last year in its myriad of pockets. Once I found an entire Three Musketeer bar. SCORE. ALSO! Be careful when wearing puffier jackets and a purse. Tiny purses jammed over a puffy arm looks silly. Look for big straps or a messenger style.

If You're Trendy:

winter3


Now, if you're a little trendier, you should definitely own a leather jacket or something like it. Now, note that all jackets are not created equally. You've seen both my Steve Madden and my Guess jackets, and my Steve Madden is TERRIBLE in the winter because it's very thin. My Guess one is heavily lined so it's a lot warmer for the winter and I've been wearing it a lot. Sorry, Steve, but you're in the closet with spring. Pull out the knee-high boots to wear over skinny jeans for extra trendy points from moi.

So remember that cold weather is not an excuse to look like a dog sledder. Unless of course, you actually OWN a dog sled. No, I have never owned a dog sled.

0 comments:

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.