Jae-gging

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

OMG I am hilarious with the titles.

So, I made a mental note to tell you guys about my experience with jeggings. I should have brought along a camera, but 1) That would be really, super dooper embarrassing, and 2) it wasn't a planned shopping trip. I somehow "ended up" at the mall and apparently was DRUNK because I thought it would be a good idea to try on mass amounts of jeggings.

You know what jeggings are, right? They're leggings that are printed and dyed to look like jeans. Like SO:



Oh, the more I look at them the more I realize what a bad idea it was.

So, I met up with my husband the other day for lunch. He CONVENIENTLY works a block away from the mall so we met at the food court for some Chick-Fil-A goodness. When it was time to go, I wondered if I should just wander the mall for a few hours. The kids had just gotten up from a nap, and my daughter got me to promise that I would take her to the indoor play area, so I thought that I could squeeze some good behavior out of the kids.

While I was perusing the windows, I caught sight of some jeggings. As usual, I mentally scoffed because THEY ARE SILLY. But as I looked at them, I begin to wonder how they would look under boots. I have plenty of pairs of boots, and one pair in particular are too tight to wear over regular jeans. I wondered if jeggings were the right choice. Especially because you can get tightness without muffin top. WIN WIN right?

So I began the great jegging try-on of 2010. You guys, I must have stuffed my kids into the fitting rooms of eight different stores trying to find jeggings that I liked. I tried: Wet Seal, Macy's, Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, American Eagle and Buckle.

Let's point out what type of body I have. I am an hourglass that teeters precariously over the edge of pear-dom. In other words, BABY GOT BACK. I don't mind my trunk. In fact, most of the time I enjoy it quite a bit. I like having shape.

But oh sweet mother of mercy, my body has never looked so mangled as it did in jeggings. Each pair I tried on was worse than the last, and ALL made me look like a severely unbalanced, albeit trendy, Humpty Dumpty. And one pair even had stirrups.

STIRRUPS!

So after pair after pair of jeggings and my exhausting the kids' supply of patience and pretzel bites, I resigned myself to the fact that I cannot pull off jeggings. While I still like the idea of jeggings for bootwear, I just can't get past what they do to my body. They transport me directly back to 1985. I envision my large purple plastic bifocals (YES I HAD THEM) side-ponies and Christmas sweaters all year round. I just. Can't. Do it.

Instead of buying jeggings, I ended up leaving the mall with a very large cocktail ring, a fur bolero (WTH? I was feeling festive, I think) and my own weight in chicken nuggets. I proceeded to drown my jegging-related sorrow in ranch dressing and waffle fries, as I made a solemn vow to never do that to myself again.

Look, I'm not trying to singlehandedly take down the entire jegging empire. I still think they look totally cute with skinny boots. But you know what else works with them? Skinny butts. Child bearing hips like mine have no place in stretch jeans-dyed leggings. Especially ones with stirrups. I'M SO ASHAMED!

Consider yourself warned.

10 comments:

Alisa said...

I just bought some at Target. I love them and they are so comfy. I can't wear them with flats like some people do. I have to wear them with boots. It makes me feel a lot better about myself.

I think you could totally pull it off though.

Jae said...

lol Alisa, maybe I need to check Target. All of the pairs I tried on made me want to cry myself to sleep.

Jenna said...

I got my 3-year-old some jeggings for her birthday.

I think they're meant for skinny people and preschoolers. Just sayin.' Brilliant idea for kids, though! Comfy and wearable, but they look like little skinny jeans.

Jae said...

Jenna! I totally bought Addie some the same day. I stopped at Crazy 8 all frustrated on my way out and found cute ones for kids. I was like k, she doesn't have a butt and they work! Plus they have zippers at the bottom and I love.

Debbi said...

I did the same thing a weekend or two ago. THOUGHT they'd look super cute with boots.

um.
no.

I nearly left the mall in tears. I can't decide if they were "laugh-at-myself-for-the-dance-I-did-to-get-out-of-those-darned-things" or tears of "WTH-are-you-and-those-thunder-thighs-thinking?!"

Yah, I got old fast. My teenage daughter bought two pairs. Me? NOT A CHANCE!


(word verification- OUTCHE! For reals. Like, looking in the mirror was outche on my eyes!)

Brittney said...

I don't know you, but I found your blog from my friend Jenna's blog. This post made me die laughing. I live in Germany and haven't caught sight of any jeggings, but I am intrigued. Maybe if I lose 15 pounds I could pull it off? lol I got a pair of Uggs for my birthday, and they are too tight to wear over jeans. I hate the way they look under jeans though. If you find a solution to this dilemma let me know! :)

mushbelly said...

Don't give up! The solution is the "legging jean" from Gap. I have a similar body to you (from the sounds of it - hourglass and some definite curves) I'm probably a little bigger than you though - I'm a size 8. I bought these a few weeks ago and I'm telling you - they are amazing. Cute with flats or boots. Go try them on.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=54987&vid=1&pid=751727&scid=751727002

Arienette said...

Damnit Jae. I was just trying to figure out how to solve the problem of the boots I have that none of my jeans really fit into, and now I know. I honestly hadn't considered jeggings before because...dude. They're jeggings. But not I might have to buy them once my buying-ban is over.

I'm going to look at the gap legging jeans first. Or are they just jeggings that gap has pretended are something else so they can charge more for them?

Emily said...

All I have to say is Lane Bryant sells them.

The saleswoman wanted me to try them on because "They'll totally look rad with that chunky sweater and some boots".

Yeah, right. Not this ass honey.

mushbelly said...

the gap ones are not quite "jeggings" They have stitching and pockets and a zipper and button fly. They are just very skinny, and have a lot of stretch. They are honestly as comfortable as leggings. And this is coming from someone who normally changes out of my jeans and into sweat pants the second I walk into the house.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.