What to Wear: To a Wedding

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Did you guys miss me while I played in Canada? I got some awesome material up there for the blog. I took my cousin shopping for Europe of all places, and it was awesome.

But first, I want to talk about something I get asked ALL. THE. TIME. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me what to wear to a wedding, I would have AT LEAST a million dollars, no joke. I think weddings are stressful because you're going to see a lot of people, and dress codes can be vague. In a lot of cases, dress code isn't specified at all, so you're left scratching your head a little.

To me, what to wear to a wedding relies heavily on the kind of couple that is getting married, the time of day the wedding will be held, the venue and who is invited. With those key pieces of information, you can show up looking just right, instead of under-dressed or over-dressed (But really, is there anything worse than showing up over-dressed? Seriously.)

Basically, weddings can be categorized in three ways. Technically four if you count black tie formal, but does anyone other than Donald Trump do that any more? So I left it out. But if for some reason you're a member of high society and invited to a black tie wedding, wear a full length gown. That's all I have for you.

Garden Party or Outdoor Formal

Floral Wedding

Items in this set:
Floral Tube Dress by Rare**, $84
Wedges|Shoes:Wedge Shoes, Wedge Boots, Wedge Heel, Wedge Sandal,..., $21
ASOS Oversized Pleat Pushlock Clutch, $30
Silver Flower Lace Ring, $50
Carolee - Retro Charms Drop Charm Earrings 1759EP5778 (White..., $38

Okay, if the wedding is going to take place outside, but will be a formal sit-down meal, you need to dress up. Likewise if the wedding will take place before 6 p.m. You can get away with something a bit more casual than a cocktail wedding, but I think it should still be pretty and airy so you don't show up looking like you're ready to party. A floral dress, of course, is nice for outside, and the colors are muted so that you don't look like you're trying to steal the show. If the wedding is outside ALWAYS WEAR WEDGES. Heels will end up sinking into the grass every time, mark my words. Clutches are a must for a sit-down meal at the reception. You don't want a big bag sitting on the ground because you have nowhere to put it, and a clutch can be laid right on the table.

Casual Indoor or Outdoor OR Evening Wedding Where Children are Invited



Casual Wedding


Items in this set:
Ruched Side Tee - Teen Clothing by Wet Seal, $25
Plus Size Border Pleat Skirt at Avenue.com and JessicaLondon.com, $35
Report Kimball, $48
Miso Layer Coin Necklace, 9.99 GBP
Large Stone Cuff, 9 GBP

If the wedding is followed by something uber casual outdoor, like a barbecue or receiving line only, casual dress is fine. I mean casual like a khaki skirt. NOT jeans casual. Never wear jeans to a wedding, ever, I don't care where it is held or if the bride is getting married in a Juicy velour suit. It is just bad form. But a plain shirt and khaki skirt, piled high with necklaces for interest is totally okay. I would dress like this even for an evening wedding if it is a family event with lots of kids running around. If the bride has said that kids can come to the wedding, she's resigned to the fact that it won't be super formal. Oh, and flats are totally fine... how awesome are those ones? They look like Tinkerbell shoes and I love. With a casual wedding, you can bring a bigger bag, just hold it on your arm rather than your shoulder, please?

Cocktail Attire


Cocktail Wedding


Now, if the wedding is after 6 p.m. or "Cocktail" is specified on the invitation, it's time to dress up my friend! As a rule of thumb, wear what you would wear to a swanky restaurant with your husband if you were really trying to impress him and the food was really expensive. It used to be that black was outlawed at weddings, but now little black dresses are the standard. Standout by pairing yours with interesting details (feather shoulder!) and awesome shoes. If you are less of an in-your-face fancy dresser, a demure dress with a fuller skirt like the navy one above works too. I've paired the whole thing with monochromatic accessories to make it worth a second look, but not scary contrasting. Clutches all around because big bag ruins sleek dresses every time.

I think we got it all, didn't we? Any wedding you should be able to classify into these three dress codes (unless the formal thing, which we discussed, WHERE YOU EVEN PAYING ATTENTION?) Now that wedding season has begun and I'll be receiving roughly 9,655 invitations A DAY (Hooray for Happy Valley, Utah!) I want you to be ready as I am to attend, eat cake and look pretty for pictures.





11 comments:

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Okay, do you just have SO much fun putting those outfit collages together?? Every time I see your cute mock-ups I think of paper dolls and how much fun it must be to go find pictures and put them together like that. You should market a program for adults where they can import all of the clothes and accessories in their collection and then put their own outfits together!!

On a totally more rational note- excellent advice. My problem is with a certain population who thinks it's acceptable to wear jeans and flip-flops to wedding receptions. It doesn't help when receptions are in big gymnasiums, but still people. Show some etiquette!

Jenna said...

Jae -- Those purple shoes are to-die-for, but how the heck do you wear them without deciding to amputate your feet at the end of the day?

Nathaly Blalock said...

Worst thing to ever happen to me at a wedding: Showing up in the exact shade of purple all of the bridesmaids were wearing. And they weren't even wearing matching dresses, just the same color, so all night people asked me if I was in the wedding party. Awkward.

Jae said...

Sara: I KNOW! It makes me so mad when people show up to weddings dressed like they are going to the mall. Um, someone is getting MARRIED. Put a skirt on for goodness sakes.

And yes, I could put outfits together all the live-long day. I do it on Polyvore.com. It's my happy place.

Jenna: I don't quite know. My max for heels above 4" is three hours. I've tested myself. True story.

Nat: Hahahaha. Awesome. You should have gone and stood in the line.

Jennifer Wells said...

jae:

you've given me so much inspiration! You helped me look pretty while pregnant, and even with a three month old, I look rather adorable, if I do say so myself.

I used to get so confused by fashion. While I don't agree one hundred percent on your do's and don'ts, you've still made looking cute way easier!

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Love your style! Loving the links. Thanks so much.

Sally

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

ok my life will not be satisfied until i have that yellow flower bag in the casual outfit - where did you get it? or am i blind and just am looking right past the link?

Jae said...

Here's the link!
http://www.zappos.com/nine-west-neves-large-shopper-lemon

Sometimes if I use too many items in a set the site just picks five links randomly to display. Coooool. Oh, they also have it in CLUTCH form! YAY.

Blair said...

I must share that I received a wedding invitation recently that stated: "Formal attire not recommended." No lie. I feel like I should wear my bathing suit or something.

Unknown said...

www0817
true religion outlet
coach outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren outlet
adidas yeezy
christian louboutin sale
coach outlet
jordans
longchamp handbags
louboutin shoes

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.