Maternity Monday - After You Pop

Monday, April 19, 2010

Those first few weeks after you have a baby are the hardest. You’re sleep deprived, adjusting to a new crazy schedule, you’re still carrying more weight than you’d like, and you basically feel like a big fat frumpalumpagus.

For me, taking some time to try to look my best despite the craziness going on all around me really helps me feel more positive about myself. You already know I think you should rock a girdle, but what do you wear over it?

Loose Tops

When I was pregnant for the first time, baby doll tops or empire waist tops like the ones above were everywhere. While these are great for hiding post partum tummy bulge, they aren't my favorite option.

TunicsThere are so many different styles of tunics right now. They're just as loose as baby doll shirts, but so much less...baby doll-y. And the ones that are button down are easy access for nursing.

Elastic Hems and Bands

These are my favorite right now. Shirts with an elastic hem or thick band around the bottom are everywhere. The loose fit nicely hides the flabiness you don't want anyone to see.

Even if you're just lounging around the house, fight the urge to throw on your husband's oversized t-shirt and opt for a more feminine loose fitting shirt like the one below. You'll feel loads better about yourself.
A winged cardigan is also great for hiding the fun rolls that pregnancy leaves behind.(All tops from Forever 21)

Stretchy Bottoms
I'm not going to lie. I have c-sections so the first week I’m home from the hospital, I live in these:
But that’s just in the comfort of my home. If I’m going to venture out of the house, I try to look more put together. There are options other than sweatpants that are just as comfortable, but much more stylish.
Drawstring PantsThese drawstring pants are as easy and comfortable as a pair of yoga pants, but will look much cuter as you're out and about running errands.
Summer Linen PantsDitto on these. But I find it highly unnecessary to tuck your shirt into them like this model.
Jeans are totally comfortable, too, as long as they have some stretch in them.
(Pants from Forever 21)
Skirts

(Skirts from Old Navy)
There are so many casual skirt options for spring and summer. The two above have a stretchy waist band perfect for those first few postpartum weeks.
Last tip for feeling more like a hot momma than a hot mess in those first few weeks of sleepless nights and 'round the clock feedings: put on some make up!! Conceal those under eye circles. Put on some blush to brighten up your cheeks. Check out Jae’s make up post to see how to brighten your tired eyes.

6 comments:

~ Elly ~ said...

If you're breastfeeding and on the run and don't want to live in button downs (or you are large chested and have yet to find one that doesn't make you look like a tent no matter how many darts it has) BOOB has some FABULOUS nursing tops that are very stylish and not at all 'mom.' ~ Laura

bequi said...

I you should include these in your next Freaky Friday:

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Shoes/Hop+to+It+Wedge

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/A+doe+rable+Tights

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Accessories/Hats+Scarves/World+on+a+String+Hood

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Outerwear/Jackets/Battalion+Jacket+in+Ivory

This is just a sampling of the horrible stuff on this site. Although, they have a TON of completely adorable stuff, too.

bequi said...

By the way, Laura, I was looking at boobdesign.com (I'm assuming that's who you're talking about) and I'm just trying to figure out... So does the overlap cover the girls going both directions? Or is the bottom level of the overlap just to the bottom of your boobs? Does that make sense?

~ Elly ~ said...

Wow, it's really hard to describe, I've just tried for about 10 minutes. HA. Anyway. The front inside piece (closest to your skin) resembles a tube top, then there is the outter piece that covers it down to the bottom of your boobs. So your boobs, when not nursing, have double coverage. When you are ready to nurse you pull the inner side down and then you can latch baby really easily. they're also great for pumping. I'm a big fan.

bequi said...

Sweet! So I can go to Kohl's, buy 2 shirts, and then pull them apart and turn them into a Boob shirt! Yeah! I just saved $50!

Heather @ Green Baby Blog said...

Great tips - I wish someone would have told me about the this the first time around!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.