Maternity Monday - "Your Feet Are Swollen"

Monday, April 26, 2010

My mother-in-law has been informing me for weeks (every single time she sees me), that my feet are swollen. I've been in denial. They look the same to me. But yesterday, as I was heading out the door for church, I tried to slip on my red peeptoe heels. And they didn't fit. There was no way I was going to be able to squish my fat feet into them. I was horrified. My whole outfit had been planned around those shoes. I settled for my black pumps, as painful as it was to shove my feet into them.

This never happened to me in my previous pregnancies! I wore 4-inch heels to the end. But now, with weeks left to go, I can't fit into any of my favorite shoes. It's a sad sad day. Because of my predicament, I've spent the last hour looking for shoes that might work for me. Here are my findings.

Because of my addiction to heels, I still need some height. I wore wedges this weekend for several hours and felt just fine. Therefore, I refuse to give up wedges!

(Steve Madden)
These will still give me the height I want, but will be a little less rough on my extra plump footsies. Ditto to espadrilles like these:(Zappos)
I'd like these better without the ankle strap right now. I don't need a tight strap to draw attention to my swollen ankles.

I'll be honest. I'm not a huge fan of kitten heels. While I like a cute kitten heel on other people, I'm just not used to how they look on me. But I found these patent leather ones that I think I could handle. I think it's the chunkiness of the heel. (Zappos)
These are cute, too. I could handle these as a substitute to my usual Sunday heels.
(Zappos)
Thankfully, spring has arrived, which means I can wear flats, sandals, flip flops...typical Florida girl footwear. And my feet thank me for it. (Charlotte Russe)
(American Eagle)
If you're in the same boat as me and are having issues with swollen feet, there are a few things you can do.
- Put your feet up whenever possible
- Don't cross your legs when sitting
- Avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time. Change positions regularly to let the blood flow.
- Drink more water.
- Exercise. Even just walking helps.
- Avoid junk food. (HAHAHAHAHAHA)
If you do decide to go get shoes that fit more comfortably, go shopping in the evening. That's when your feet will be at their biggest. And try not to cry too much when you see you've gone up a size. Chances are, the swelling will go down after the baby comes and you'll be back in your normal size. So no need to go out and get a whole closet full of bigger shoes. Darn it.

3 comments:

0 said...

My feet expanded after pregnancy and 9months on, are still half to a full size bigger than beforehand.
Given that I have over 60 pairs of shoes, this is Not Good.
I'm still in denial. I would sooner chop a toe off and shave down my feet with a razor blade than start again with my shoe collection.
Also, those first wedges. *awesome* I am off to go see if Asos are dong anything similar.

Nathaly said...

That's what I'm afraid of, Arienette! They better go back to normal.

0 said...

You chop my toes Nathaly, and I'll chop yours. Sisterhood.
I'm pretty sure that's what the feminists were fighting for anyway.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.