Maternity Monday - Dresses

Monday, March 29, 2010

One of my pregnant friends was recently complaining that all maternity dresses make her look like she's wearing a tent. This put me on a hunt for cute non-tent-like dresses. There are a lot of options out there that won't make you look much bigger than you actually are. Just stay away from this: When looking for maternity dresses an empire waist is mucho flattering. Having some tightness on your top half is the key to not looking like you're wearing a big fat muumuu. Here are a few options I found.

The Tie Dress(Nordstrom)
This dress ties in the back, which allows you to control how tight to make it under your bustline. This will give you some shape and create a nice silhouette. The big sleeves hide jiggly arms.

The Smocked Dress(A Pea in the Pod)
This one is smocked under the bustline, which makes it nice and tight. Because of the elastic band, there's no need for a tie back.

The Baby Doll Dress
(A Pea in the Pod)
Again, this is tight on the bust, making you look like you still have some kind of a figure. I love the detail on the sleeves and I think the neckline is really flattering.
The Bow Dress
(A Pea in the Pod)
I think we've established that I like a cute bow. It's so girly and sweet. I think off to the side looks best. It just adds a little eye catching detail.
And finally, my favorite, The Wrap Dress(Gap)
Very flattering to your expanding waistline. I have a black wrap dress that I love. I like that I can adjust it as my belly grows. But who styled her? Wrong shoes!
See? No tents here. Maternity dresses have come a looong way from the scary jumpers our moms once wore.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

I think dresses are so much fun to wear when you're pregnant. I can't wear empire waist clothes because it makes me look like I'm pregnant, so when I actually am pregnant, I love them!

Diamond said...

My problem with maternity dresses is they all want to show off cleavage I don't have, and don't want to show off anyway.

Shari said...

While these dresses are adorable, has anyone else noticed that the models are never women who are 8 months pregnant and swollen? That's when finding something is the hardest.

herwa said...

I agree, Shari!

That actually leads to my question for Maternity Monday.....

I'm tall. Not, like, amazon-tall, but the weather is nice up here. Now that I'm 7 months pregnant, even the longest tank tops, t-shirts, and maternity shirts are still flashing the bottom of my belly more often than I would like (ie. never). I've been wearing a belly band to try to keep covered, but ick - uncomfortable. Dresses are my friend right now, but they aren't practical for every day.

It seems like most specifically maternity wear is geared towards the 2nd trimester. Since I'm only going to get bigger, any recommendations on really, really, really, REALLY long tops, or a different style to consider?

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.