Best Supporting Role: Your Bra

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So I just spent the weekend shopping like a banshee (do banshees really shop? Let's try that again)...er, shopping like a Hilton, with my best friend. She was great, and totally talked me out of stupid purchases like a $30 t-shirt and into good purchases, like a $10 cardigan.

While we were out and about (or oot and aboot, seeing as we were on Canadian soil) she was mentioning that she needed to buy new bras since she just had her sweet, adorable and cute son a mere four months ago (she's totally going to read this and be like WTH Jae! Stop talking about my rack on the interwebs! Whatever, she knew what she was getting into when she became friends with me) and her need for new bras inspired an entire post dedicated to the unsung heroes, otherwise known as your bras.

I don't know about you, but my bras are perpetually HAMMERED. I find one I like, wear it religiously for like, six months until it is gray and hanging by threads and generally disgusting. So when I buy a bra, I BUY A BRA. I research it and try on a bajillion until I find THE ONE that I can abuse for awhile.

I suggest you do the same. A bra is the one piece of clothing that you will wear every day, so you'd better make sure that it fits right, doesn't pinch or poke, and above all, LOOKS GOOD.

Depending on your size and shape, you'll need a different type of bra. Before you run off to your friendly neighborhood Victoria's Secret, make sure that you get yourself measured, ideally before you start trying bras on. Weight gain, having a baby, and plain old gravity will have a bearing on the size of your bazookas, so EVERY time you go bra shopping after a span of six months to a year, get resized. Please. And when trying on bras, remember to always place the hooks on the middle eyes so you get the best fit, and move around in the bra to test if it's pinchy or pokey before you make the decision. And, try on bras that work for your body type.



The Handful

If you're like me and were blessed with a less than VS model amount of boobage, a molded cup is the way to go. It'll give you a better shape and much better proportions. Just because you *could* go without a bra, doesn't mean you should. Also, choosing one with girly deets like this frill here can give you a little more dimension up top and fool the eye into thinking there is more there. Plus, it's really pretty.


The Wanderer

After having babies and nursing, you're likely to notice that your girls aren't quite as high as they used to be. Ideally, they should fall at the midpoint between your underarm and elbow, so when you try on bras make sure that they bring them back up. A push up is for you, my friend, as long as it has a thick and supportive band to hold you in. Make sure that the band isn't creating scary back rolls... if it is, go up a band size and keep the cup the same.

The More Than Enougher

To the lucky ladies who have generous proportions when it comes to boobage, choose a full coverage bra. Don't worry if the cups look big... you'll STILL have cleavage and your body will get a better shape. Pick a pretty one for extra good feelings. For special occasions, step away from the push up! You'll look like your boobs are staging death by suffocation. Try a demi cup instead, which is like a half-cup that can give you a really pretty neckline without scaring the children.

The Night on the Town

You should definitely have a convertible bra. There is nothing I hate more than exposed bra straps with the wrong outfit. It looks trashy any way you look at it. Don't be lazy and grab a bra that can be used with regular straps, strapless, racerback, halter, whatever. It's a good investment to have in your lingerie collection simply so I won't make judgments about you.



The Non-Ugly Gym Goer

Remember how we talked about ugly gym clothes and how they make me cry? Same goes for ugly sports bras. YOU MUST buys a sports bra to workout. Regular bras will not cut it through all of the moving and whatnot. And look how pretty this one is!!

K, so I purposely didn't include the brands and sites to get these ones because unless it's the same bra that you already own in the same size you have, you should not be ordering bras online. GO TO THE STORE. Try them on. I know it's slightly uncomfortable, but most lingerie stores have lovely lighting. You'll be fine, I promise.

10 comments:

0 said...

My word verification for this comment was 'funites' which would be awesomely fitting if I was anyone else and my boobies say some fun nites once in a while.
Can I weep at you about the abysmal experience that is shopping for nursing bra's? I just spent £30 (so that's, what? 100 of your dollars?... I kid! Except not.) on a bra that DOESN'T FIT, shows over ALL my necklines, isn't convenient for feeding, and makes me look like a teenage hooker. It's dire. It's so, so dire. I blame the 'assistant' in the store who assisted me in NOTHING except feeling ugly, didn't bother to size me properly and when I returned the bra the first time because the back was too small, insisted I get a smaller cup size, even though I told her I didn't need one, despite needing a bigger back size, and 'explained' to me really, really patronizingly, as though giving birth turned me particularly stupid, that 'wen we go UP a back size, we go down a cup size'. Yeah. Thanks bitch, because I'd got to adulthood not knowing how bras work.
Basically, you need to come here and help me shop. Preferably by yelling at people for me.

Jae said...

Ugh Nursing bras are the WORST, aren't they? Mostly I just wore regular bras and shoved them aside because nursing bras are so horrendous. Just feel better that unless you're a kooky nurse-until-seven-years-old type, it's only for now, and you'll be back in actual, functioning bras soon.

Jennifer Wells said...

You were singing the praises of gals who happen to be born busty, however, I think that having a little less is better. It's harder for things to look...inappropriate.

Alisa said...

Unfortunately i have looked everywhere for a bra that fits big busted women and that's pretty. it really doesn't exist. I promise! I hate bra shopping and when I go I go to 10 different stores and try on like 100 different bras. No joke!

whitneyingram said...

I am a more-than-enougher and my absolute favorite bra is the Le Mystere Tisha Bra. It's worth every penny.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=le+mystere+tisha+bra&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=eeMhS4XYFJ64sgPF2cy3Aw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQrQQwAA

Unknown said...

10 years ago when DH and I got married I wore the then-popular water-bra in a size 34B to fill out my wedding dress a little better. After baby #1 I wore a sports bra to squeeze into the same dress for something. Now, after 3 children I still have a band size of 34 (that's the ONE place on my WHOLE body that's not 10 inches bigger around!) but my cup size is up to an "F"!!! As in WTF?!?!?! Research how to properly measure. I cannot possibly buy size 34 F in any local store so I buy online from a place that carries lots of larger sizes and has a good exchange policy. I've ordered a few times now from Figleaves.com and hit some awesome sales. Most of the bras I've been happy with, some have been exchanged. They also have NON-UNIBOOB sports bras there for anyone larger than a b-cup. Underwire, adjustable back, probably steel plated sports bra. I can run in that thing and probably deflect bullets, but my boobs aren't giving me a black eye!!!

Cathy Anderson said...

I have spent so much time at the department store trying on bra after bra after bra. I bought bali 3335 on the strength of the reviews and it is just so comfortable. Fits just right. I love it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing...58eveningdress.

Unknown said...

replica bags philippines wholesale replica bags from china replica bags koh samui

botado said...

you can try here read this post here find this that site informative post Extra resources

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.