Maternity Monday: Belly Basics

Sunday, October 4, 2009



A picture of me, in case you were wondering what I look like.

Hello, fashionistas! My name is Jenna (as Jae mentioned before). I am 22 and married to an awesome guy. We have a darling 2-year-old daughter and another baby (unknown gender) on the way, due in late March. I recently graduated from Brigham Young University in communications with an emphasis in broadcast journalism. Yes, it is the most fun major ever! No, you will not see me on television any time soon. For now, I am doing the mom thing and loving every minute of it.

Today, I am 15 weeks pregnant. Which, as all you mommas know, means I am going to have to start expanding my wardrobe a little bit. Quite literally.

Last time I was pregnant, I was a hot mess. At about this same gestation, I went to buy some maternity clothes and left empty-handed and frazzled beyond belief. At the time, I was a starving student and realized 1) maternity clothes are expensive and 2) maternity clothes are HUGE. Trying on all those tent-like tops and saggy-butt jeans pretty much had me in tears. I resigned to the fact I'd have to rely on my current wardrobe, at least until I packed on a few more pounds.

I quickly learned, however, that a few items can get you through the early phases of belly expansion while allowing you to wear your non-preggo clothes. I call them "belly basics", and here they are:

1) Camisoles/undershirts:

As your belly begins to expand, you'll find your normal tops getting a little too short. Stick a cami under it -- problem solved (at least for a little while).


Plus, think of all the cute things you can wear over a cami -- a cute slouchy cardigan, a crop jacket, a tunic ... the possibilities are endless. My suggestion is to get into your closet and try on all your blazers/cardigans/jackets/shirts with your new belly. Most of those things will probably work for quite some time with the help of a camisole, much to your surprise. Don't make a trip to your nearest maternity clothing retailer just yet.

Also, Tilly's has regular non-maternity seamless cami's for just $7.99, and they make them in every color of the rainbow. They are one size fit's all and will definitely cover your belly.

If you're looking for more coverage, try the Wonder Tee from DownEast Basics. They sell them in both regular sizes and maternity (although, during pregnancy #1, I learned that the regular ones, purchased a size bigger than I normally would wear, lasted me the entire pregnancy. They are very stretchy and long. I even walked into the delivery room in one).


DownEast Basics Wonder Tee

I also love their 3/4 Sleeve Tee, which never got too small to cover my belly, either.

2) Bella Band/belly sleeve:

This lovely band of stretchiness will get you through the awkward "I can't button my old pants anymore, but maternity jeans make my butt look horrendous" phase. With this, you can keep wearing the jeans/pants/skirts you already have until you've got enough junk in your trunk to fill out maternity sizes. Leave your bottoms unbuttoned or even unzipped, and use this band to hold them in place, like so:


Motherhood Maternity belly sleeve

See what I mean? Genius. And if your shirt doesn't cover the band? Who cares! Layering is all the rage these days, anyway. It'll just look like you've got a cami sticking out underneath. Perfect.

Bella Bands themselves can be pretty pricey. Luckily, Motherhood (linked above) and Target carry sufficient knock-off versions. Belly bands for all!

3). Cute, comfy pair of flats:

Heels might be getting a little uncomfortable by now. If not, good for you. But if they are, then it's time to go shoe shopping! (Heck, go shoe shopping, anyway!)

Fall is the perfect time for flats, and they come in lots of varieties. You can get dressy flats, casual flats, or anything in between. Might as well get a pair of each, right?





And come on, who doesn't need a new pair of shoes (or five)? Don't we all, pregnant or not?

Jenna regularly blogs at Mom the Intern.

38 comments:

Anna@Exasperation said...

Okay, so that was kinda trippy. I pulled up your blog and was like, "Hey, wait a second..." Nice work Jenna! Nice to see you on here.
I'm not pregnant but I neeeeeeeeed those button flats in ways words won't justify. Fab.

Mrs. P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jae said...

Awesome post, Jenna dear. I lovie those sneaker flats! Can I also say I'm glad it's you doing the maternity posts? If I were doing them that would mean I was pregnant, which would also mean I might jump off of a bridge.

danielle said...

Hey quick question - those Tilly's tank tops, do they come up high enough to cover your g's? You know, in the chest area? I LOVE them and how cheap they are. I'm currently in the process of buying, like, 10 of them. But I just wanted to double check.

Great post!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Love your picks on the flats--you have great taste. For some reason you are a top referring link to Momtrends (if you mentioned my blog thank you!). So I had to check out the site--glad I found you!

Jenna said...

Danielle -

I have a few of the Tilly's tank tops, and yes -- they are garment appropriate. :)

Unknown said...

I love finding new things to wear when I'm pregnant that make me feel sexy. Having a baby does not mean I don't want to dress up cute still. I found more here maternity apparel.

Smith Harry said...

Accidentally I'm come on this website and after read this blog I'm think that this website is very informative for woman's and I'll try to tell about this blog to many woman's.
Smead file folders

lexington law firm review said...

This was great help. This is exactly what I was looking for.

ruffy401 said...

Most I can point out is, I am not sure what to say! Except certainly, for the fantastic tips which are shared on this blog. I can think of a million fun methods to read the articles or blog posts on this site. Generac Portable Generators

artkeven4 said...

Just imagine I read it twice. While I am not as accomplished on this subject, I match with your closings because they make sense. Gives Thanks and goodluck to you.home based business

trinity credit service said...

This blog is amazing!!!i stay impressive with the whole information because is absolutely interesting and wonderful.

Green Smoke Electronic Cigarette said...

It was really awesome blog post. A wonderful teaching skills have been found. Thanks for sharing these wonderful tips.

Bad Credit Repair Service said...

I come on this website and after read this blog I'm think that this website is very informative for couple.

buy facebook fans said...

Don't stop blogging now, I'll be again for much more of that, simply had to say thank you once more!

lexington law review said...

I really like your post. It's really interesting and informative. I really appreciate that .Thanks for sharing with us.

Smokeless vapor cigarette said...

Great idea, it very instructive for me. I have just got interested in blogging and hopefully i am able to do so.

Credit Judgement said...

Thank you for your template. I have been looking for something like this for a long time.

Weight loss program orange county said...

Thanks for a nice share you have given to us with such an large collection of information.

Small Business Opportunities said...

Nice Post! It’s really a very good article! I noticed all your important points! Thanks!!!!

credit blog said...

Such a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing you knowledge and ideas.

credit repair lawyer said...

Outstanding post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I too believe this s a very great website.

executive search recruiters said...

A great post, thanks for taking the time to share, continued success to your site in the future! GOOD Work!!!

kettlebell exercises said...

I'm really interested to read on your post, i'm sure i gain more knowledge from here. Please keep on posting!

dating sites said...

Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

Blind Brokers Network said...

Thanks for writing this article and giving us the knowledge. So i would like to see more details about this topic.

carpet cleaning parramatta said...

A very informative post and lots of really honest and forthright comments made! This certainly got me thinking a lot about this issue so nice one a lot for posting!

Ouvrir un Compte à Belize en ligne said...

I really appreciate the effort you have given to this post. I am looking forward for your next blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing good content, check out jaw stone crusher website from china Stone Crusher manufacturer

pee in blood said...

Great post I really appriciate.

pee in blood


http://www.peeingblood.org/

TV Por Internet said...

There was a big medical information on Blood in Urine and the potential remedies. That however was mitigated at Blood in Stool causes and other similar medications. We resolved the problem by offering Tablet 3G review to customers as well as Tablet USB to samsung tablet manufacturers. Disney Bitches was a good distributer and was able to perform all information and medical incentives. We are proud to support this installation pass by. TV Por Internet aprueba este.

gumball machines said...

The post is very nicely written and it contains many useful facts. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. gumball machines

Anonymous said...

[/url] s'agit de chercher respectable . Les divers bienséance se présentent comme concernant le magnum . The en peau de mouton de remplissage en plus informes cuir à base de plein air génèrent parfois parmi le lot d'une longue et mince de la hanche et les jambes de commencer la chasse trapue ainsi que lourd . En plus des dispositions cool et trendy, ces types de bottes disposent en plus d'une grande utilité . Cependant, vous en votre regarding intérieur devriez également dois démontrer seulement c’est spécialement le domaine motif spécifique laquelle a la possibilité donner ces diverses chaussures ze transforment en prélèvements libraries remarquables apparus . Les différents garnis UGG authentiques vous en votre for intérieur se révèlent être portées concernant un bon tarif raisonnable fill que tout individu laquelle désire dans la sembler les différents possesseurs ont la possibilté de obtenir ces diverses garnis au sein de le placard . Vous verrez pas thay difficile de faire une exceptionnelle conventionnelle ou peut-être l'apparence physique merveilleusement décontracté avec presque n'importe quel combiner là-bas [url=http://www.uggfr-baileybutton.info]ugg bailey button pas cher[/url] chaussures . Ils sont les caractéristiques spécifiées qui feront de ces types de bottes vaut l'achat ultérieur avec méthode provenant des divers autres modèles faciles à obtenir dans le secteur . ?Je us suis jeté exceptant relatives au votre voiture, sur la unrestrained avec un poele a coeur relatives au votre course.[/p][p]Ces diverses bottes uggs solde afin p la mise en vente pourrait se présenter comme votre cheville saison collectivement grace au genou également énorme . Lorsque ce dernier s’agit touchant à chaussures afin p femmes, femmes coute [url=http://www.uggshortsparkles.com]chaussures uggs pas cher
Ce n'est pas nécessairement observé récemment une nouvelle clé de cette vente uggs sont superbement destiné pour le style, le confort . Objectif favoris? Ce dernier est en mesure para? [url=http://www.pascheruggclassicfr.com]ugg australia pas cher[/url] tre légèrement irrégulier . Au cas où comme vous trompez la plupart des components véritable comment cette expérience, comme vous aurez éventuellement [url=http://www.uggfrclassictall.com]ugg short classic
[/url] que coute semblent se présenter comme conscients touchant à leur liste . Cependant, ugg cardy bottines possède apporté lapreuve de seulement c’est approximatif . Il est impératif p, dégoter, ils ze trouvent être nombre peu atypique seulement une grande majorité des chaussures entier élevée . â€Å“Ils ze trouvent être idéaux afin p votre faible fille laquelle ne souhaite pas as well [url=http://www.uggshortsparkles.info]achat en ligne chaussures femme[/url] as longtemps dépenser à vocation plus au sein de ï¿¡ 190 concernant notre boots ugg little france . Autant, concernant le périodes à vocation plus sérieux, assurez-vous au sein de ab?mer passer vos bien-aimés [url=http://www.pascheruggclassicfr.info]botte ugg pas cher[/url] garnis UGG UGG qui porte sur au sein de l’eau mais également anti-taches . Ugg Boots-must-have chaussures ou des bottes de style Around The Era temps modernes
[p]La chaussure est quelque chose qui ne devrait pas être trouvée défaut quand il [url=http://www.frclassicuggstocker.com]ugg france
[/url] se présenter comme aussi un principal touchant à à la mode parmis nous qui a la possibilité continuellement se présenter comme aussi un acheteur calme.[/p]

[url=http://park8.wakwak.com/%7Ejamnote/cgi-bin/upboard/upboard.cgi?page=4]we are a fashion st[/url]
[url=http://www.drr.go.th/webboard/index.php?action=post;quote=75758;topic=15219.38565;last_msg=299406]They are a fashion store statement made ugg9v[/url]
[url=http://www.snil.de/posting.php?mode=quote&p=112634]we are a fashion shop online statement made ugg boots8f[/url]

Kafy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes this is true and i think this is a good post forever. i like this writing skill and i have post a article about http://www.nomoremomjeans.com/2009/10/maternity-monday-belly-basics.html just visit and read more about http://www.nomoremomjeans.com/2009/10/maternity-monday-belly-basics.html

Unknown said...

Awesome Man! This is incredible. I really appreciate it. I'd like to say thank you for sharing this valuable information with us. Take a look this to buy Instagram followers here. Thanks

Unknown said...

www0817
vibram fivefingers shoes
ralph lauren uk
jordan shoes
tods outlet
pandora
moncler
off-white clothing
ugg boots
skechers outlet
off white outlet

SMM Planners said...

Absolutely great posting. I actually happy when i done this topic. I am excited world have a excellent author. Always i am waiting for next reading. Thanks a lot for great posting share :) :) Social Media Services

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.