Fashion Whining: It Isn't COMFORTABLE!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The number one excuse I hear from people who don't dress well is that they "just like to be comfortable." As if being comfy is an excuse for looking like a shlub constantly. Well, guess what?

It's not.

While I don't mind the occasional pajama day (heck, I'm not feeling well and I've been in a tracksuit all day today) but I don't think justifying your bad dressing because you like to be comfortable is legit. Like ohhhhhh okay, you want to be comfortable. K, didn't know that's why you looked so horrible, but now I understand and accept. No. Because that is saying that people who dress well are perpetually uncomfortable. Aaaaand that would be untrue. Yes, five inch heels do hurt, and yes, tight dresses can be uncomfortable, but your every day stuff should be presentable and comfy.



(Jeans, Seven for All Mankind)
Take a good pair of jeans. You remember the every day jeans post right? Remember to find a pair of jeans that FITS WELL, in a medium wash that isn't too dark for every day and too light for you to not look like you came from the 80s. Hem them short enough to wear with flat shoes for excess comfort. See, the reason you want to immediately jump into your sweats when you get home after a day of wearing jeans is most likely that they don't fit you right. They should not leave red marks or cut into your skin, and you shouldn't be uncomfortable sitting down in them. If you are uncomfortable, try the next size up. I KNOW that's depressing, but you dressing crappy depresses me more.



(Graphic tee: Polyvore, Solid tee: Aeropostale ($12!!)
Shirts! For everyday, go for comfy cotton shirts with nice details. You shouldn't have to fuss with them all day. A nice scoop neck with a tie or button detail or a graphic tee is fine by me. You'll be comfy and not look like you rolled out of bed.

Can I take this time to point out that the other day I was dropping the kids off at preschool and there was a mom there in HAIR CURLERS? Like, is this 1943? WTH!




(Blazer: Gentle Fawn, Hoodie: Republic)
And if you must do some sort of sweatshirt or hoodie, do a fitted one, or a cute sweatshirt-material jacket. I really do think hoodies have their place, and they can look you nipped in and slim if they are cut properly. I wear hoodies allllll fall long because I missed them so, especially while running around. But zip up hoodies are your friend. Scary huge hoodies are not. Your hoodies should not do that awful poofing thing around the bottom. It makes you look ginormous. Buy one to actually fit you or don't buy one at all.


(Shoes: Orange flats: Polyvore, Yellow runners: Skechers
Shoes should be comfy too. If you like to wear sneaks running around, invest in a good pair of Skechers, so that you don't look like you're tromping around in gym shoes. Otherwise its flats for you! Now that it's fall, your flip flops should have retired until next year. Muah! Thanks again, flip flops. I am kind of loving citrus colors because they pop so much on your foot, and you can get a little dose of summer in the fall. Also, pointy flats are awesome. Do the same thing for your leg under jeans that pointy heels do, without the height. I live in mine.

Just don't let your love for comfort get in your way of looking like a respectable human being. Even if you're just loafing around and running errands, jeans and a tee are NOT going to kill you. I promise. If they do, you can totally sue me. All I have is shoes, but it could be worth it.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Privo by Clarks also has cute & comfortable sneakers. I've been living in mine for a year & a half so I'm finally picking out a new pair (or 2). I think every mom should have at least 1 pair of these!

Anna@Exasperation said...

Okay, but round toe flats are still hot, right? Because, frankly, I own a lot of them...
I am wondering about rainy-day footwear... No uggs, right?

Jae said...

lol. Flats are still okay in all of their toe-shapes. I own tons of both kind.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.