What to Wear: to a work function

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Whether you work or your husband works, there are always work parties to go to. I have never seen something strike more fear into the hearts of women everywhere than stressing about what to wear to their husband's work Christmas party. I think it stems from the fear that you'll be the "dumpy wife" there.


By the same token, I see a lot of women that totally go all out and overdress for theirs or their hubby's work stuff. And in my book, there is nothing worst than being overdressed. So when in doubt, err on the side of being a little casual. Do not run out and buy a prom dress for heaven's sake.

Can I also say that my husband's last work function was an office wide trip to go to a Kenny Loggins concert? I KNOW! How funny is that? It was actually pretty fun, besides the fact that the only two songs I knew that are by Kenny Loggins are Footloose and Danger Zone. How's that for a clothing dilemma? "Honey! I've got a work party this weekend." Got it. "...and we're going to a Kenny Loggins concert!" What the?? What am I supposed to wear to that? (If you MUST know, I was pregnant at the time... so I wore dark jeans, a very low necked shirt [pregnant boobs, yay!] and a leather jacket. See? I can dress for any occasion!)

Here are a few outfits that work for a work function for me. In general, I don't like jeans at work functions, unless you KNOW it will be pretty casual. Such as, dinner out a casual dining restaurant, Kenny Loggins concerts, etc. Otherwise, get a good pair of black bootcut slacks. The ones shows here are from Spiegel.














Love a blousy, festive type top. The color of this one from Spiegel is amazing. Then add some slacks, shoes are from Wild Diva, earrings from Guess and a violet clutch from Target. I love the idea of this for a cocktail-esque, dinner work party. Anywhere that you're going out to a non casual place, but still don't want to look crazy dressed up.

For something a little more casual, such as an informal meeting, dinner out or a catered event, try this.







K, so start with the same black slacks, add a BRIGHT tank with a white blazer (Spiegel) and then tie your accessories in with another color (Clutch by Murval). I love teal and pink and white in the summer, this outfit would be awesome for an outdoor event. Then shoes in a non matching color (Guess) and you are all set.

For something more formal, or an event where your husband is required to wear a suit, or even a sportscoat, I would do a skirt. Still a little on the casual side, but dress it up with your accessories.










K, so start with a crisp white shirt, the puffy sleeves make it flirty and not business-y. (Kohls) Add a pencil skirt... I LOVE THIS ONE! (F21) and then belt that sucker! Remember that a pencil skirt should hit just above your natural waist, where that teeny part is. So belt it right at your smallest point. Then add some awesome shoes so its definitively not business wear. Add a clutch (Also from Target) and you're the hot wife!

Now, for plus sizes, black pants are your friends. Also, don't be afraid of a pencil skirt. You probably have killer legs.







K so the clothes are from Avenue and the accessories are WetSeal (Which has sizes up to 24 and 3X now, as well as Forever21 just launched Faith21 for plus sizes and its freakin adorable.) Anyhow, love the color. I feel like plus size girls are all about the black because its supposed to be slimming, but it just makes you look depressed. Have fun with your accessories. Wear big earrings that bring the attention up to your loverly face.

And then.... strut.

Seriously though. There is no excuse for a) freaking out when you get invited to a work party b) showing up with baby barf on your shoulder and c) not looking like a million bucks.

7 comments:

Deb said...

I LOVE this blog! I come here everyday.

So glad you're back writing more often. This is EXCELLENT advice. Love the "what to wear" columns.

More, please! ;)

Joy said...

Where did you find the leopard print shoes?

Jae said...

Pumps are here, and only $30... SCORE.

http://stilettoshoecompany.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1065&currency=USD

Beth said...

I love those outfits! I can't wait to be un-pregnant to be cute again. Do you have advice for rockin' the baby bump?

Rachel said...

Jae, I can't walk in heels, I was hurt for 2 months after the last attempt. Any other shoe suggestions?

Kaya said...

I just came across to your blog and I love it.!! Lots of beautiful outfits are here. I would like to have a pair of leopard print shoes.

Unknown said...

Finally! Got better ideas from this blog than from any major magazine article. Thank. You gave me something to work with.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.