Weighing In: Gladiator Sandals

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

K so a reader e-mailed me about gladiator sandals, so here I am, weighing in on them.


Ah, gladiator sandals. You were so popular last year and I figured that would be the last I saw from you. But alas, like an old boyfriend, you keep popping up; being friends with my friends on facebook, trying to get me to notice you when I was really just fine without you. You place yourself on the feet of many a famous person, so I will see you in US Weekly and think, really, Nicole Richie? Oooookay.

Seriously though. I thought I was okay with gladiator sandals. I didn't love them and I don't really think they're for me, but whatever floats your boat. However, then I was looking up different styles for this blog, and realized I really don't like them at all. I think the real, authentic gladiator sandal is pretty unflattering. The only time I really approve of it is with very skinny legs and very short shorts. If you're not willing to work it with those, then I would say I don't love them.

Here's why. The cut of the gladiator sandal makes your foot look huge. And manly. I don't like huge manly feet, unless of course, they are on a huge man. I have yet to see it make a foot look feminine. And I feel like your feet is one of those places on your body that you generally want to look as feminine as possible. Along with your hands, and perhaps your chin. Also, I feel that mom-types will wear them with capris. I don't love that either. I only tolerate them with skirts or dresses, or with shorts. Just because they are some serious foot wear and by wearing them, you are making a statement. Don't crowd them!
I am just not one to love a trend just because it is trendy.

HOWEVER!!! If you love gladiator sandals and they make you feel hottie hot hot, then by all means go ahead. This is one bit of fashion I won't judge you for. The sweats, yes, I will judge you for the sweats. But the gladiator sandals I'll just shrug and say "Okie dokie then."

Here are some variations of the gladiator sandals; some that I hate, and some that I can deal with.

Like these. I think its the color I like. Its a little more fresh than the dusty brown leather. And I love the criss crossing on the foot.

Hate these. Its the long leather strap up the middle, its what makes your foot look long and manly.

Like these in heel form. I like how they suggest gladiator sandals, rather than being like straight up, Spartan gladiator sandals, you know. The color and embellishments are reminiscent without jamming the concept down your throat.
These, however, are terrifying. And I am imagining leg squidge. Are you?

Like these. Probably because I own them. But they are shorter than the traditional gladiator sandal, thanks to the cut off with the strap across the toes. BUt to be brutally honest, I bought these because I was shopping in heels and they hurt and I needed some flats RIGHT THEN, and thought aw, what the heck.
Hate these. Like really hate them. WHY? Why with the leather cuffing? It will make your legs look stumpy. Avoid!!
So whether you love em or hate em, know that gladiator sandals don't have to be GLADIATOR sandals, you know? It doesn't have to be literal. Give em a shot. If you love them great (but don't spend that much on them; they are a trend and I'm fairly sure you won't see them around next year. Of course, that's what I thought last year but whatevs) If you hate them, that's great too.

11 comments:

Carly said...

I hate gladiator sandals period. Unless you have stick thin legs they WILL make your legs look ginormous.

Next shoe you should weigh in on are CROCS. Gee whiz there should be an age limit. No one over 10 should legally be allowed to wear those.

mushbelly said...

Thanks for this post! I think the first pair you posted, and the white ones that you bought, are cute. I am liking gladiators - but just the subtle ones that hint around at the gladiator trend instead of being severely gladiator.

I really don't understand the ones that lace all the way up your calf, or the ones with the leather cuff.
So ugly!

danielle said...

I like mush's point and at first read I thought it said, "... instead of being severely gladiatory" LOL.

Loved this post.

Love all your posts, actually.

Veruscio said...

I discovered gladiator sandals last spring-summer, while I was looking for fancy flats to go to a party (dancing included so I knew I would not stand heels), so there they were.

I bought a pair of golden gladiator sandals, similar to these in shape, but smarter, I must say. They are extremely comfortable, and I bought them because my feet are short and this kind of shoe makes them look longer. So bingo!

But I do not like (actually I hate) gladiator sandals with too many strips around your feet because they look packed like sardines.

Love your blog!

Morgan Hagey said...

Frankly, the fact that they are called "gladiator" sandals is a complete turn-off for me. EW!

Morgan Hagey said...

P.S. WIFEY!
I wear crocs for work. They are the fugliest shoes on the planet, but dang it all to heck (that was just for you) they are the only shoes I can wear and then immediately take home and put in my dishwasher. (Gets amniotic fluid off GREAT!) :)

danielle said...

Jae - I thought you should know that I just bought me a pair of wonderful gladiator sandals. You must check my myspace page for a picture of them.

I knew you'd be proud.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

okay Morgan, the fact that you put amnionic fluid drenched shoes in the place that you wash your DISHES makes me want to hurl! lol. You crazy girl, That's just wrong!

Jae- remember when I asked you about gladiator sandals last summer? I was so happy to hear that I wasn't totally un-trendy for hating them. You need to find a picture of that chick from the Bachelorette last season (the Latina who's Mom made Jason bury a dead bird...know the one?) Because she is the perfect example of how a bad pair of gladiator sandals can ruin a perfectly hot pair of legs! It was the night she got kicked off. I seriously rewound my dvr to stare at her legs because they looked SO bad!

Anonymous said...

Great post. I especially found it useful where you stated ... related post Gladiator Sandals

what you can to be my friend?
please add my link into your blogroll

best regards
katarashop

enterrement vie de célibataire said...

I like them but not on my legs.
Lilou

enterrement vie de garçon Paris said...

Jolie sélection.
Lena

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.